What Should I Get from Cali

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BillyEB

Reaction score
I live in northwest Florida where the beer selection is good but not great. My buddy is going to northern California What should I have him bring back? Other then Pliny(I have a case)

Old Rasputin from Russian River Brewing is delicious. They might even have Pliny The Younger on tap and you might be able to get a growler filled. Also, Stone Brewing, a little north of San Diego, is doing some amazing things and you can get a lot of their special release beers at good beer stores. He should also go to BevMo, its just an amazing experience for anyone who enjoys the drink.

+1, but old rasputin is from north coast. Deschuttes (OR), New Belgium (CO), Hair of the Dog (OR), Firestone Walker, and Bear Republic are some other great breweries to grab stuff from and all available there.

-------------------------------------

They do not have any Younger right now. Gotta wait till February

Rught now Bevmo has Ninkasi 4 packs for 14.99. I'd grab some Bear Repub brews, some Lagunitas, maybe some of the Sierra special releases.

I was just in San Diego and had all sorts of cool stuff you can't get here. Ballast Point had a Oaked Aged Imp. Porter which kicked ass. Blind Pig by Russian River is a great IPA. Anything by Ale Smith was amazing. I loved the Barley Wine from Green Flash. Sooo much good beer there.

Firestone 14 if you can still find a bottle.
Alesmith Horny Devil is awesome.
Lots of others, but those are two of my recent favorites that should travel well.

Current favorite is Green Flash West Coast IPA. The Can you brew it clone is very close, actually being home brewed it will knock your socks off. I'd ask for some Alesmith and Stone beers, just have him mix up a sampler pack of a 100 or so bottles (LOL).

Ballast Point Brewing in San Diego has some great beers. Sculpin (now in 6 packs which cut the price by abut 30% over bombers), Black Marlin porter, Victory at Sea - barrel aged Imperial Porter

Green Flash has a great Imperial IPA as well as a great Gran Crue

Try for Pliny the Elder, I'm near LAX and I can get it probably 1 out of 3 tries; but they usually either have it out in limited quantites (with the rest in the back) or won't even put it on the shelf. Most places will only give you 1 bottle, sometimes I can get two.
+1 for Green Flash
Stone probably has enough distribution that you can get it at home.
Port Brewing has some great beers
The Bruery has a decent beer or two
I've never been disappointed by Russian River, their consecration was what got my foot in the door to sours.

I live in northwest Florida where the beer selection is good but not great. My buddy is going to northern California What should I have him bring back? Other then Pliny(I have a case)

You have a case of Pliny? Drink it up it doesn't age.

Back