what should I expect? Did I do it right?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

alaskatammy

Reaction score
Obviously, I'm new. I did some reading, thought I was all ready- now.... not so much. Maybe I read one to many articles, as it seems like there are many variations.

I'm going for something delicious, sweet is ok- but I'm flexible. I prefer a higher avb. I went thru Canada recently & bought some Okanagan- LOVED it! Also enjoy Crispin, Angry Orchard, Woodchuck.

On 11/9 I used 2 qt cider, 2 qt juice (no preserves of course) & clean technique. I added 3/4 c brown sugar, 3/4 t pectin & SA-05 & some absolute in the airlock on my gallon jug. So- I find the hydrometer confusing- the liquid appeared to be at the 52 mark. (and at the 7% abv).

Within a day bubbling started, bubbles great for week. It pretty much ceased a few days ago & I worried about it rotting or something. It got a little clearer- but never cleared.

So, today, 11/20 I racked into 2 - 1/2 gallon jugs (I didn't have another gallon)- it has a yeasty, but not unpleasant smell. So, here's where I got even more concerned- I took a reading & it was right at the 1.00 mark. I hurredly got online to try to look up some info on this & when I return (less than 5 minutes with papertowel drapped over the tester), it's at 1.2. WTH? Well, I added a T of splenda to each 1/2 jug & added 1/8 c concentrate to one of them before airlocking them again.

B/T/W I tasted a bit of the concoction & it was dry, a bit bubbly & not entirely terrible.

So, now what? Did I screw it up?

Thank you in advance for any insight!:fro:

Are you sure the hydrometer wasn't sticking to the side of the tube or something?

Don't throw it out! Just finish it up and see what happens.

Give the hydrometer a little spin to help it stay put. Was there any change in temp between readings?

Other than that it sounds like you get the idea. Sooooo...,.lets call that one AT's practice cider and get cracking on that next batch! You'll want something to compare, right ;)

I've been keeping the jugs in my kitchen- so little to no temp changes. I'd given the hydrometer a spin- but who knows.

So, what do my readings mean? Am I in the ball park? Does this 2nd reading mean not much abv?

And since I have 2 jugs going & I've added sugar (concentrate) to one of them- should ferm restart on that one? Will the alcohol level rise? Will I want to rerack that one on a few days?

Eventually, I'd love to bottle with a little fizz. Gotta be honest, I'm sort of scared after reading about over carbing. I have champagne bottles & flip tops. Not sure if I want to go with sugar or drops. Figure I gotta get thru this 2nd stage though. And the only other jugs I have are 5 gallons & I'm not so sure if I'm ready for that. =)

When using a hydro the number you get at the first reading is always going to be higher than at the second reading. The hydro measures specific gravity, basically the amount of stuff (sugars) in the solution. Sugars go down when yeast eats them to make alcohol. The percent alcohol number on the hydro tells you, on the starting gravity only, the amount of potential alcohol you might achieve. I don't know the calculation off hand to get your true abv but there are dozens of calculators online to find out..just punch in your numbers. With the gravity at 1.000 you are done fermenting, however some coders can get down below 1. Your cider will be dry

I'd guess your second take you had bubbles on the hydrometer. Wait until bubbles stop again let it sit 2 weeks in the jug and then add 1/5th of a can on aj concentrate per gallon of juice your bottling. This will carb without over carbing and causing exploding bottles.

Latest posts

Back