What should I do

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JoshuaWhite5522

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I have aquired a 15 gal keg for the purpose of making a brew pot, however I am deploying to Iraq soon and will not have the time to put it into operation before I go. The keg still has a small amount of stale old beer. My question is it advisable to leave the keg as it is for the year or more that I'll be gone, or should I atleast covert it to a brew pot so that the beer isn't sitting in the keg and possibly ruining the inside. Also I do not know how long this beer has been sitting already.

My recommendation, if you had the time, would be to drain it, convert it, clean it and store it.

PS: Thank you for helping keep us safe.

I also agree with the above post... I would pull the spear out and clean it out... You don't have to cut the keg top off just yet But I would certainly get the spear out and soak that puppy with some Star-san.

ok great, now my next question, I know that using a carbide saw blade can cause the contact area between the blade and the keg to corrode, should I just cut it with an acetaline torch or is there a good stainless steel blade that I can use? Maybe somthing like a stainless steel sawzall?

Latest posts

Back