What should I do with this defective plastic carboy?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cormano

Reaction score
I jumped on Midwest's buy one get free deal for plastic carboys the other week. When my two six gallon carboys showed up, I was distraught to find this:
IMG_20130611_155559_zpse4f8b6f0.jpg
IMG_20130610_144829_zpsa8b899c3.jpg

They were very good about replacing it, but they didn't want the old one back. So what do I do with this thing? I wish the defect was higher, then I could just use it to experiment with open fermentation, which I've been curious about, but I can only get a couple gallons in this thing before it starts leaking, so what can I do with it? Patch it somehow? Cut it off to use as a planter? Some crazy idea I haven't come up with? Or just throw the damn thing out?

If you change your own auto oil, as I do, because one quik-lube place f'd it up, cut the 'boy to height and use it to collect old oil.
Otherwise, recycle it at town/city rec'l'ng place.

Hard to tell how big the hole is....

I'd say just tape it shut if its a pinhole...or just stick a sticky thermometer over it.

Back