What should I do with my old IC?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Hobanon

Reaction score
Hi all,

I picked up a shiny new immersion chiller a few months back (1/2") and my old homemade one (1/4") has just been sitting around ever since. They're both 50-foot length.

I can scrap it for about $25 (I think that's what I was told at the recycling center). Not really worth it to me, as I see unrealized potential here.

I thought of cutting it up and using part of it as a whirlpool arm somehow, but I'm also worried about running post-boil wort through tubing that probably never got fully dry after brewdays (does copper rust?) - plus I'd have to shell out for a pump.

I dont really want a pre-chiller nor do I feel the need to have one, as I've heard too many mixed reviews.

I've also got a couple of aquarium pumps and various lengths of tubing (vinyl, silicone, and gas and liquid line).

Anyone got some MacGyver-type ideas on what to do with it?

I was gonna say pre-chiller. But I guess that's out. FWIW that's what I use mine for. Works well on my warm TX groundwater.

Maybe make it into a hat or a fascinator. :D

Donate it to a new brewer, teach them how to brew. :)

that's what I was going to say too. It is not worth $25 to most people, but to new brewers it may be worth ~$100 in what they can get out of it.

I use mine to halt the cooking and remove heat from boiled crawfish, shrimp and peanuts. Works great to soak and not overcook.

Nice suggestions, guys. I have been talking to a guy at work about showing him how to brew, so if he likes it I'll donate it to him along with my old kettles, etc. Thanks!

Anyone got some MacGyver-type ideas on what to do with it?

Got the same issue here. Figured that someday I'd add a pump to my system. With a pump in the system you can modify the old IC to sit in the HLT . Then pump the wort from the mash tun through it as needed to hold a perfect mash temp. Just the ticket for doing stepped mashes.

I'd say pre-chiller too. They do make a difference. I use one during the Summer.

^^^^This! I don't know what mixed reviews you've read but they definitely help in warm/hot weather.
I use a CFC & went from using an IC as a pre-chiller to a pump in a bucket of ice water.
The old IC (given to me) is now part of a fountain in our back gardens.

Back