What should be my first beer?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
beer you should brew=beer you like to drink

(post a couple styles and people can recommend a recipe or something)

BTW, welcome:mug:

Brown ales are almost impossible to ruin, but if you don't like browns, obviously not the place to start.

david_42 said:
Brown ales are almost impossible to ruin, but if you don't like browns, obviously not the place to start.

david_42 beat me to it. I was going to say that Brown Ales are pretty forgiving. But the question is, Do you like Brown Ale?

The type of beer is entirely up to you, if I could go in the past and give myself this advice for the first brew it would be;
Use grains, start of with a mini mash; its like making tea you use crystal grains which only contribute non-fermentable sugars and it doesn't require any more equipment.

easiest beer to brew:

Hefeweizen

6 lbs Wheat DME
1 oz Hallertau hops
60 minute boil
cool and pitch WLP300
ferment under 70 degrees F

use a blow-off tube

makes for a pretty good beer and a great place to start...then move on to specialty grains ;)

DeathBrewer said:
easiest beer to brew:

Hefeweizen

6 lbs Wheat DME
1 oz Hallertau hops
60 minute boil
cool and pitch WLP300
ferment under 70 degrees F

use a blow-off tube

makes for a pretty good beer and a great place to start...then move on to specialty grains ;)

WOW DeathBrewer. I could swear you just posted this in my thread too. You wouldn't be a spammer now would you?:D

J/K. Thanks for the recipe. I just priced it out on AHS.

I offer one more piece of advice, Brew something simple that you think your friends will like. What I often fine with new brewers is that if they brew a simpler beer that their friends will like they will get positive re-enforcement from said friends ("Great beer Joey", etc.) and you will be more likely to stay with the hobby. If you brew something too complex for their pallets you will get negative feedback ("eh, it's OK but I'd rather drink Bud Light") and you may be discouraged from continueing with the hobby. So if your friends like Wheat beer, brew a Wheat, if they like browns, brew a brown, if they like BMC beers, brew a pilsner but top off to 6 gal rather than 5.

camiller said:
I offer one more piece of advice, Brew something simple that you think your friends will like. What I often fine with new brewers is that if they brew a simpler beer that their friends will like they will get positive re-enforcement from said friends ("Great beer Joey", etc.) and you will be more likely to stay with the hobby. If you brew something too complex for their pallets you will get negative feedback ("eh, it's OK but I'd rather drink Bud Light") and you may be discouraged from continueing with the hobby. So if your friends like Wheat beer, brew a Wheat, if they like browns, brew a brown, if they like BMC beers, brew a pilsner but top off to 6 gal rather than 5.

I would not start off with a pilsner as that requires lagering capabilities which the beginning brewer usually doesn't have yet.

I found it's like dating. It all looks pretty good, but you never know unless you just grab something and get into it. It's hot, messy, and confusing but in the end it all turns out pretty good. And if you don't like it, well just brew another.:drunk:

PseudoChef said:
I would not start off with a pilsner as that requires lagering capabilities which the beginning brewer usually doesn't have yet.

I typically brew a Tru-Brew Pilsner kit fermented at ale temps without issue (it has a ale yeast). My wife likes it when I have it available and drinks Busch Light :rolleyes: when I don't.

Back