What PSI for Keg at 70 after fast carbonating

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Xavvier77

Reaction score
Hey guys,

I'm brand new to homebrewing and to this site. I am looking for a little advice.

I just finished a 5 gallon batch of Amber Block Party Ale and put it in my keg. I saw that you can fast carbonate it and that's what I have tried.

I turned the psi up to 25, rocked it back and forth for awhile, pausing every so often. I don't have room in my fridge right now, I will in the next few days though.

Basically what I need to know is, what should I do next? What should my psi be? How long will it take? Should I or could I keep it out of the fridge? Or should I get it in the fridge asap? My house is at 70 -72

Any help will be appreciated! Thank you!

Cold beer is more stable than warm beer. 25 PSI at 70-72 is gonna be on the lighter end of carb for most beers, and that's only if it's fully carbed.

https://www.glaciertanks.com/site_templates/Custom/img/beer-carbonation-chart.jpg
If you want normal carb, I'd put it on at 30 PSI and leave it there until you can get it into the fridge, and do so as soon as it's possible. Then you can lower the pressure based on the linked chart and your fridge temp. You CAN keep it warm, but you gain nothing doing so, and warm beer stales faster, especially if you're new to brewing and likely don't have a good low-oxidation method for kegging yet. And pouring warm beer from a keg is very challenging unless you want a glass of pure foam.

Awesome, thank you for the quick reply!

Considering I did the whole shaking it thing. How long do you think it would take to carbonate?

Deoends on how much you shook it, honestly, so it's hard to say. If you are getting no new flow in of gas while shaking it, you're probably close to your equilibrium point already.

Sweet, I think you're right. I tried a pour; it was alright. Very foamy, but I think it'll settle out over the next 24 hours. Thanks

fwiw, in cases where our favorite carbonation table runs out of scope, the Brewer's Friend keg carbonation calculator can be used.

25 psi at 70°F allowed to reach equilibrium would result in just shy of 2.3 volumes - but it's unlikely that could be managed by rocking for only a couple/few of "awhiles". So I agree the keg is likely on the low side of typical ale carbonation (2.4-2.5 volumes) - which is a good thing compared to overshooting by a lot :)

While the OP is waiting for cold space, I'd recommend putting the keg on CO2 at 28 psi. That should at least move the carbonation level towards that 2.4-2.5 level, safely...

Cheers!

You cannot judge carbonation by pouring the beer at room temperature. Leave 30 psi hooked up full time until you can refrigerate it. Once you get it cold, down to 36-38F overnight or about 12 hours, drop the pressure on the reg down to about 10psi and see how it pours.

Back