What not to do

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Grinreaper

Reaction score
Well i'm at my 13th batch and still making some stupid mistakes along the way. Brewed a cooper's stout with 160g of cocoa powder to make a chocolate stout. Everything is going great. Pour the Cooper's syrup,mixed it,took a sample,pitched the yeast starter i made. Now it's time to clean up.

Cleaned everything and now to store my Oxy-san and soap. Wait,whats this? 1kg of dark DME... Ah ****. Forgot to put the fermentable sugar in it. No wonder my OG was only 1.024. :drunk:

What to do. Can't take 2l litres of the beer and reboil it for the DME. Killing off the yeast i just put in was not an option. So stirred in the DME and picked up the lumps with a sanitized strainer.

Here's hopping it ferments well cause now the OG is at 1.040. There's 5l of brown stuff at the bottom. Could be the DME settling down??

I would have dissolved in 150F + water then cooled in an ice bath and dumped it in - but beer is less fragile than some of us let on - I'm betting it'll make beer, quality to be seen...

I would have dissolved in 150F + water then cooled in an ice bath and dumped it in - but beer is less fragile than some of us let on - I'm betting it'll make beer, quality to be seen...

If i hadn't pitched the starter in,then i would have took at least 2l,boilled it and dissolve my DME.

That ridiculous drawing of a frog grasping a heron's neck is popping in my head. Let it ride man, let it ride.

Small update:

There's fermentation(YES) The kraussen is a thin bubbly layer on top. The 5l of brown stuff is down to a 1/4". All seems well.:D

Second update. After a week, the og went from 1.040 to 1.014. The sample tasted great without any sour taste or bad odor so everything went well.

Good deal. I can't count how many near miss, ad-hoc, wait that didn't work, recipe addendum, maybe it is just marinade, hey maybe I'm on to something, hey hon how's this taste, let's see if it'll condition out in the bottle, f-ups I made. These little hiccups are why this forum is the !? $@, oh crap I said hiccup, noooo I did again go away go away

Good luck, post again after it sits. Let it ride!

Back