What Not to Do Rule #286

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

derekbooth

Reaction score
Do not remove the cap of your liquid yeast directly above your fermenter if you've had 3 Bigfoot Ales and 1 Ruination. You WILL drop the cap in.

...UGH!!

You obviously forgot rule #1, don't drink more than you can handle! :)

Schlante,
Phillip

You'll be fine, you do wash your hands after using the restroom, right?

hence the new rule #286A - no more than 2 bigfoots and 1 ruination during brewing

To prevent this sort of incident in the future I suggest you box up the rest of the offending brews and mail them to me.

You'll be fine, you do wash your hands after using the restroom, right?

To prevent this sort of incident in the future I suggest you box up the rest of the offending brews and mail them to me.

The rest of them? This was yesterday. You think they're actually still around? :drunk:

In other news, the airlock is bubbling at machine gun rate :)

Just think of the cap as yeast nutrient.... yeah it's a long shot...but if you pretend... yeah...never mind

drinking strong brews while brewing is always a recipe for disaster. I just had to dump out my latest batch because of this very reason.

Just out of curiosity, did you reach in and grab it? I'm afraid my instincts might kick in and I would shove my hand in quickly to grab it.

Just out of curiosity, did you reach in and grab it? I'm afraid my instincts might kick in and I would shove my hand in quickly to grab it.

My hand got about an inch away from the surface of the wort before my brain said "use the paddle!!!!". The worst part was it was a chocolate porter... nearly the same color as the cap. BLACK. And it doesn't float! I had to slowly pour the wort back into the pot while a friend watched for the cap. It took several minutes of franticly searching with the spoon before scooping it out. I'm pretty sure all is well now though. Won't be dumping this out :)

FYI - if you or someone else does this in the future, just leave the damn cap in there. By the time you retrieved it, any contamination that'd happened, had. The yeast caps are made of a food grade material which is fine for prolonged contact with beer.

Your beer will be fine though. Probably.

i did something similar with a festa brew kit the other week. I figured i could handle a bag a 23L of wort easily enough. Hands were wet and santized, I popped the cap off, and it went right into the primary. Easy enough to get out with the paddle.

Back