What mashing temperature is recommended for MO and safale S0-4 brew?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Elysium

Reaction score
We are planning to brew with 100% maris otter (we dont want to add other malts just yet) and the American S0-5. I am not mentioning the hops because that is not related to my question, but we are aiming for a nice, hoppy American style IPA or pale ale. So far we have used high 68 °C (154,5 F) for mashing and I am wondering if we should change to lower temperature for less heavy sugar extraction? If yes, what range is ideal?

You should not be getting less (heavy) sugar extraction at a lower temp range; less sugar extraction is equivalent to less efficiency. You want sugar extraction to be the same at all mash temps. But, I understand what you mean. You want less dextrinous sugars (i.e. less complex sugars) and more fermentable/simple sugars that will ferment more fully.

I think more fermentable sugars with MO and S-04 for an american IPA is a good idea. MO will give a little more malty aspect and grain character to the overall profile, and S-04 will drop out earlier than expected leaving a more malty profile as well. When you combine the two, you have the potential to have a fairly malty beer which is generally not a "goal" of an american IPA (malty can hide/muffle some of the hop characteristics). So, yes, mashing lower is a good idea for this brew to promote fuller attenuation and less malty-sweet profile. You will probably still have an appropriate level of sweetness/maltiness left to balance the hops even mashing in the 148-150F range. At least that's my opinion :D

S-04 is and English Ale yeast. If I were going for an American style pale ale, I'd use 05 or other cleaner fermenting yeast.
It's S0-5 we are using. Just corrected this mistake in the original post. Thanks.

It's S0-5 we are using. Just corrected this mistake in the original post. Thanks.

If you are going for an American IPA why not use American malts as well? MO is a British style malt. You shold be using American hops as well.

Just my $0.02. Enjoy. :mug:

Back