What Mash Tun Size

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

WhiteRhyno

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Hi all,

Quick question.

Currently I am using 2x 15gal kegs as my BK & HLT, with a 10gal cooler as the MT.

I am looking at swapping out the MT with a stainless pot as I am running a HERMS to keep mash wram, however I am debating what pot to use.

Currently I have a spare 35L quality stainless pot, and a 50L cheap Chinese pot that I was BIAB in, and I am unsure what one to use for the new rig.

Will I still be able to brew high grav beers with the 35L MT for a 10gal batch, or am I best just to go with the 50L and have a whole lot of empty space for a standard brew?

Cheers in advance :)

Attachments

• So Many Choices.jpg
    So Many Choices.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 50
"Why not both?"

Seriously, for small beers the smaller vessel may be more energy efficient, while the larger will allow for big beers.

See the mash volume calculator on this page.
That'll tell you what you need for volume, you can decide how much "freeboard" (remaining volume) makes you feel nice and fuzzy :)

Cheers!

"Why not both?"

Seriously, for small beers the smaller vessel may be more energy efficient, while the larger will allow for big beers.

See the mash volume calculator on this page.
That'll tell you what you need for volume, you can decide how much "freeboard" (remaining volume) makes you feel nice and fuzzy :)

Cheers!

Guess your right, will just mean installing a few more weldless bulkheads

The 35 liter pot is smaller than your cooler, and if you're already using the latter with a herms setup it probably makes more sense to use that for your smaller brews and use the 50 liter pot for big ones. Then you only need to smack a pair of ports in the 50L. Sell the 35L to pay for the ports and valves :)

Cheers!

The 35 liter pot is smaller than your cooler, and if you're already using the latter with a herms setup it probably makes more sense to use that for your smaller brews and use the 50 liter pot for big ones. Then you only need to smack a pair of ports in the 50L. Sell the 35L to pay for the ports and valves :)

Cheers!
Reason why I was wanting to go to S/S is I am about to build a single tier setup, and I dont really want the MT melting while the BK & HLT are under fire :)

Latest posts

Back