What makes this kit/recipe so good?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JJ900

Reaction score
Hi All,
I brewed the Heady Nugs extract kit from Great Fermentations recently and really really like it. I have been trying to pay attention to ingredients to get a better sense of what I like, e.g. the NB pliny clone and hop ranch recipe from HBT taught me that I like IPAs and IIPAs with pilsen malt, kind of obvious but I had never really paid attention to that before home brewing. So with this kit I have two main questions.

First, for those of you who can look at a recipe and guess what it will taste like, any idea of what you would expect this beer to turn out like? Is its name hinting that it may be similar to heady topper? (only had one can of HT last year when it was rumored to be in a bad spell and just based on that can this is a more interesting beer to me). I'm happy to chime in with what it tastes like to me, which I am not so good at, but am really curious if people can size up what they'd expect this to taste like, to better understand why I like this some much.

Second, its a high ABV beer at ~9.3% and if I wanted to make a lower ABV version but maintain the same character would you recommend just adding more water, e.g. kit calls for 5gal but I could up that to 5.5-6gal or instead, just leave out one of the two pounds of corn sugar? Would either method screw with the flavor less?

So here's the recipe, and thanks for any input!!
6 lbs Light DME
3.3 lbs Light LME
2 lbs corn sugar
.5 lbs Crystal 40
.25 lbs carapils

1oz simcoe 60mins
1oz columbus 15 mins
1oz columbus 10mins
1oz nugget 5 mins
1oz columbus flameout
1oz simcoe flameout
3oz columbus dryhop
1oz simcoe dryhop

I used 1.7 packs of rehydrated US-05

Either will adjust the IBU's. That may or may not be an issue for you.

Do you use any brew calculator? It will help you adjust things to keep it closer to what it was.

I don't mind overly hoppy and would negate the corn sugar, which will change the character too as it adds a thinner body, and leave the hop schedule alone knowing it'll be a little more hoppy and slightly more bitter.

What ABV range are you looking for?

I am using both brewtarget and brewpal and I guess dialing it down just a bit, maybe 7.5-8% ABV. I'm OK with keeping the hop schedule as is, I'd rather err on the side of too hoppy. I think you are suggesting to decrease the corn sugar rather than add water, true?

Indeed. You could try to reduce a bit of the hops from the schedule to keep it more similar but I think this would be a little difficult. I'd just go with 86ing the sugar and leaving it as is.

Back