What kind of peach extract should I use?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Gordonwes

Reaction score
I brewed a 5 gallon, dry extract wheat beer on Saturday (3/5/) and it's still in the primary. I want to put peach flavor to it and have read that putting the flavor of any fruit is best in the secondary. Do I need to put a peach extract or actual peaches in the secondary? How much? I want it to still taste like beer but also have the peach flavor in the middle. Also the OG was supposed to be 1.050 and it came out to 1.020...why is it that much off?
:rockin:

Small world, i brewed an american hefe this weekend too and plan to add peach.

I'm going with a can of Oregon Fruit Products peach puree. You can pick this up at any LHBS. It's 3lbs which is perfect for a 5 gallon batch based on Jamil's recipe in Brewing Classic Styles.

Add to secondary and expect fermentation to kick back up for a few days due to the yeast eating the sugars of the puree. Also, fruit will bump your gravity up a few points which is always a plus!

My recipe had a target SG of 1.052, and i actually got 1.054. the fruit should bump it up to around ~1.056

as far as your OG...when did you take your gravity reading? Extract OGs are hard to miss if you followed directions so it could be that if you did a partial boil and topped off with water you did not full mix your wort thus got a lighter sample. I wouldn't worry too much about OG if you brewed from a kit and followed each step correctly.

Yeah I followed everything exactly as I was supposed to and yes it was a partial boil (which I'm not a big fan of) and added water after the boil and cool down. A couple of people told me the same thing about the mixing of the wort. After I added the water I stirred it pretty well and let it settle for a minute before taking the reading. And thanks, I'll be picking up the puree today. Is the secondary fermentation time still the same after I add the puree? 7-10 days?

or longer, just depends on how strong you want the peach flavoring to be. I'm planning on roughly 10 days to 2 weeks. But I think peach is a light enough fruit as is that even a full two weeks will still only impart subtle aromas and flavors and that's exactly what i'm going for.

but yeah, as far as your OG...i wouldn't worry about it. You are probably right on it. RDWHAHB! I can't wait for this batch to finish up. This was the first batch brewed with help and input from my girlfriend who is a bartender at Flying Saucer, you should know the place being from Fort Worth! We don't drink hefes all too often but both decided this would be a great beer for when the weather finally turns up here!

The beer I just finished was a Peach Wheat that had 4oz of Peach extract from the LHBS added to the keg. It tasted great! If you want the finished product a little faster (and easier), the extract is a great way to go without sacrificing flavor.

I added 3lbs of peach puree Friday, Saturday the air lock was bubbling like crazy and Sunday there was absolutely no bubbling in the air lock...is this ok?

I added cherry extract/flavoring to my wheat beer right before bottling. Turned out really good! I don't see why you couldn't do the same with peach flavoring.

Cheers!

I'm going to be brewing my first batch next week and want to do an American Wheat Ale. I was thinking of putting some peach flavoring in but was wondering if there's a way where I could do half of my batch with the flavoring and half without. I'll be brewing without a secondary, and I'll be bottling the beer.

Back