What kind of HDTV do you have and what made you buy it?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
They are not cheap, and they are superior to LCDs in most categories. They do not suffer from burn-in any more than most other technologies (although they once did). They are not going away any time soon, but it's true that LCDs are much more popular (because they are cheap). Plasma's might very well go away at some point, despite their superiority.

I'm sure the misinformation here will pile up, and I'm not going to further stand in the way of it. But if you want to make an informed decision, please visit a good forum like www.avsforum.com and make your own educated decision.

I wouldn't trust any homebrewing advice in that forum, because duh it's a av forum ;)

Sure.

I'm just going by what I've seen while shopping in stores and comparing side by side, and also from what I've watched for longer lengths of time (parents have an LCD and my buddy has a plasma, both of which I've sat and watched for some time). There's really no point in arguing with you or anyone else on the subject. Compare numbers all day if you'd like but everyone has a different set of senses and point of view.

I checked out that forum, and I bookmarked it, because I think it'd be helpful for me in the future. But, like any forum just like this one, they have a wave of people supporting one thing and another wave supporting another. It's just like everything else; to each their own.

Do your own research and pick what you think is best.

1.) Contrast Ratio Does matter, higher the better.

2.) Refresh rate is a gimmick, your local movie theater runs at a refresh rate of 48hz or 72hz.

3.) Your old tube ran at 96hz or lower.

1.) Very true, except there are no standards. Some companies go from dark to light then back to dark again (making their ratio larger then what it should be). plus there is no standard on how long the set has to make the transition. Also, Response time nullifies a high contrast ratio as the set won't be able to transition between the colors fast enough.
So, as with anything else, don't let one factor make your choice.

2.) Movie theaters project their image so the 'display' screen is small, while the projected image is large. the smaller the image the less need for fast refresh rate. I believe they are still film as well, so the image isn't being 'drawn' its projected.

3.) You old tv was at best 480I which is interlaced, meaning every other line is drawn per pass, meaning it only drew 240 per pass, on a 32" or less tv its easy to keep the image clean.
New sets are progressive, meaning they draw every line per pass, at 1080 resolution too, on top of that, they are drawing for normally at least 42" sets. How quickly it draws a new image is very important and hardly a gimmick.
If you don't watch action movies/watch sports/play video games refresh rates won't matter much, otherwise, higher the better.

65" Mitsubishi and 42" Sony, love them both. i've had 4 Sony's in the past with zero problems.

If you believe refresh rate doesn't matter, don't bother watching sports or anything with quick motion.

-

Sure.

I'm just going by what I've seen while shopping in stores and comparing side by side, and also from what I've watched for longer lengths of time (parents have an LCD and my buddy has a plasma, both of which I've sat and watched for some time). There's really no point in arguing with you or anyone else on the subject. Compare numbers all day if you'd like but everyone has a different set of senses and point of view.

I checked out that forum, and I bookmarked it, because I think it'd be helpful for me in the future. But, like any forum just like this one, they have a wave of people supporting one thing and another wave supporting another. It's just like everything else; to each their own.

Do your own research and pick what you think is best.

And so the Plasma vs LCD debate rages on. As you said, do your own research and pick what you think is best. The issue with this (as I pointed out in an earlier post) is that viewing in a store doesn't show you which is better because of the lighting in the store and settings/calibration of the TV. Also, plasmas (as well as LCD) vary in quality. I humbly believe that calibration is important.

It's interesting that here we are in 2011, and yet the best picture quality HDTV might be one from way back in 2008. Here's an article that talks about the (long gone) Pioneer Kuros. I was able to see one in action in a high end audio/video store and it was simply fantastic.

Again, for brewing advise come here, for audio/video, go to avsforum.com.

Just to beat that dead horse, I have both a Panasonic Plasma and a decent brand LCD. The LCD is nice, the Pany is awesome. Just sayin.

Back