What is your most useless piece of brewing equipment?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
And that doesn't oxidize the beer when transferring?

Not if you transfer like this. The hose is coiled in the bottom of the bottling bucket gently whirlpooling/mixing the priming sugar. I never even remove the fermenter lid before it is empty.

2015-01-11 18.25.24.jpg

Two things:

My floating thermometer to measure the temp of my mash is useless because it floats upside or face down most of the time.

Plastic lids that fit the large 8 gallon brewing buckets. These never seem very durable.

Not if you transfer like this. The hose is coiled in the bottom of the bottling bucket gently whirlpooling/mixing the priming sugar. I never even remove the fermenter lid before it is empty.

Oh man, that's cool.

are there internal racking arms on those?

T

Everyone listing their 5G carboy must not make ciders. I find mine to be pretty handy as cider fermentation doesn't make much (none with most yeasts) krausen, costs less than half what good beer does, and everyone non-brewer I share my beer with loves it.

Everyone listing their 5G carboy must not make ciders. I find mine to be pretty handy as cider fermentation doesn't make much (none with most yeasts) krausen, costs less than half what good beer does, and everyone non-brewer I share my beer with loves it.

This might be the only reason I wold ever own any sort of carboy, glass or other....

My hydrometer is my least used piece of my original equipment. i've used it 5 or 6 times in 200+ batches. I instead use a refractometer for OG but I don't even care about FG.

are there internal racking arms on those?

T

There are down turned elbows. The one in the fermenter is above the trub and was provided by the manufacturer while the one on the bottling bucket clears the bottom by about 1/16" and was supplied by me.:)

I don't use my hydrometer much either, but I all but stopped caring about measuring anything once I got comfortable with my process and hit all the numbers like clockwork.

I've had a few bad CO2 regulators that failed, some losing me tanks of gas, that's always frustrating.

But the most useless thing I ever bought has to be the jar of 5.2 powder that I later found out is not capable of living up to it's claims, and actually made my beer worse for the couple of batches I was foolish enough to use it in.

If anyone that doesn't need their 5 gallon better bottle is willing to send it my way, I'll pay for the shipping. I can use it for aging mead.

My most useless piece of equipment is the bottle brush that came with my beginners kit. I wish I had gotten a rubber seal on my bucket lid instead.

IDK air pumps and co2 - much more $$ than an autosiphon.....
More expensive? The CO2, only if you don't already have it for kegging. The exercise ball pump, I've seen them for five bucks. But if one of the other useless pieces of equipment in your house is an exercise ball, you already have one.

A few pumps and the siphon is started. Replace pump with inline filter to keep out bugs.

We no need no stinking auto siphon.

transfer pump.jpg

It's not as great as it appears, wasn't too happy with it, plus you have to use special CO2 Cartridges. But if you're still interested, I'll see if I have all the pieces.

I'd be interested in it possibly if the other falls through

+1 on the brass quick-disconnects, the females were like $18 a piece if I recall.

Johnson analog fermentation controller. This thing swings like 8*f.

Big honkin gas burner with high pressure regulator. This sucks down almost a whole tank of fuel in a batch. I experimented with electric brewing the same month I built a stand around the burner and realized it was all all for nothing.

Carboy hauler handle. After seeing the picks of stress cracks I can't bring myself to ever use it on glass.

Lead free garden hose 100'. Discoverd RO water the same month I got bought this and it's still in the package.

5 gallon Igloo cooler. This is too small to mash in (it also melts easy when trying to use as a hlt).

Bunch of cpvc tube and fittings. What a waste when all a batch sparger needs is a bazooka tube.

100' of 0.5" stainless tube. Don't let other people's videos trick you into thinking you can simply bend this stuff by hand like copper tubing.

20 cases of bottles I scrubbed mold out of and peeled and scrubbed labels off from. Sitting in the loft collecting dust.

Refractometer. Guess when I bought it as a noobie, I was reading one too many of those threads that are all too common. You know the ones where some brewers will often extol the virtues of piece of equipment and let you know that without it, you cannot possibly brew beer that is suitable for human consumption.

Simply put. For me, a refractometer is useless. Don't buy one.

^+1 to this. Totally useless.

I will take my refractometer any day over a hydrometer, why all the love for the annoying hard to read waste of beer temp specific breakable choice?

Refractometer. Guess when I bought it as a noobie, I was reading one too many of those threads that are all too common. You know the ones where some brewers will often extol the virtues of piece of equipment and let you know that without it, you cannot possibly brew beer that is suitable for human consumption.

I find it amusing the items that some feel are useless and I find them my MOST USEFUL...

I do all grain and find my Refractometer to be indispensable. It makes checking the gravity way simple. I usually hit my numbers so I guess I don't really HAVE to use it, but I feel better knowing what is happening and recorded, I have the info for doing the recipe again.

The other is my Autosiphons, I love them, so easy to use, and my 3 piece wine thief. I use it quite often.

My plastic Big Mouth Bubbler from NB that doesn't completely seal. Crappy invention. Used it once. I'm still PO'd just looking at it. I'll let it go for $10 or even a bottle of beer if you live in the area.

Currently it is my 3 gallon corny keg... I brew 5 gallon batches...[/QUOTE]

you could brew something that ages well, keg 3 bottle and cellar 2....i'd consider that a win!

Simply put. For me, a refractometer is useless. Don't buy one.[/QUOTE]

love mine, i admit it isn't deadly accurate but i just need to know when the beer is done and ballpark numbers.

Floating thermometer that came with my brewing kit. Nothing like a 20+ degree temp different between the bottom and top of the wort during cooling...

I agree with this one. I have moved to a touchless laser thermometer. One less item to clean, sterilize and potentially cause contamination. I use to check top of wort when cooling shooting for the top of the cooling range and I use to check temp of fermentation buckets. Figure if outside temp of bucket is in the right temperature range what is inside is too. I had one from Harbor Freight in my garage and hardly used it. Now it has a life.

I find it amusing the items that some feel are useless and I find them my MOST USEFUL...

I do all grain and find my Refractometer to be indispensable. It makes checking the gravity way simple. I usually hit my numbers so I guess I don't really HAVE to use it, but I feel better knowing what is happening and recorded, I have the info for doing the recipe again.

The other is my Autosiphons, I love them, so easy to use, and my 3 piece wine thief. I use it quite often.

Totally agree. For AG, a refractometer is indispensable. If anybody doesn't want theirs, I'll take a backup.

Most useless for me is my 1 liter Erlenmeyer flask. Not big enough for a proper starter. I use either a 2 or 5 liter now. The 1 liter collects dust.

The new o-rings I got for the 5 pin-lock kegs I acquired. Only a waste as my SWMBO promptly gave all 5 kegs away (and a 20# CO2 tank) when we moved and I wasn't around to say no.

I thought something was wrong with that lady... Thanks for the new stuff!

Just kidding of course...

That's terrible. Have you murdered her yet?

My wife.

She never helps me brew. All she does is poke her head into the garage every 30 minutes to ask me if I am done brewing yet.

I love my auto siphone, refractometer and glass carboys.

My wife.

She never helps me brew. All she does is poke her head into the garage every 30 minutes to ask me if I am done brewing yet.

I love my auto siphone, refractometer and glass carboys.

This made me laugh... And then I turned and glared at my wife... Totally know the feeling.

See, I'd love a 3 gallon corny keg because I often brew 3 gallons!

One of my worst purchases was a bargain used 5 gallon corny with a "racetrack" lid purchased as a New Year's Day special from a well known online retailer. Lid won't seal worth a damn, and the rubber top disintegrates into a black mess when in contact with liquid. A real great option for packaging my homebrew (NOT).

Chi sells the rebuild kits for the racetrack style kegs for like $2.50.... I just bought two a couple weeks ago....

For me I would have to say its the iodine solution for checking conversion.... Useless as I always have complete conversion after an hr with my electric system recirculating ( is likely done after 30 mins)

Screw the pay it forwards, but I belittle my 50 liter conical with internal temp control coil as a boil kettle using a heat stick. Even when I brew 10 gallons, I prefer splitting the batch up into several 3 gallon carboys and/or 5 gallon buckets to try different hops or yeast. I've become a fan of the partigyle too.

I keep contemplating selling it for a 15 gallon electric kettle and more 3 gallon carboys or kegs. Laziness and future sellers regret prevents me.

I like variety and the process too much to have 10 gallons of one beer around.

Auto siphon, refractometer, hydrometer, carboys, and 3 gallon kegs are all ideal for me.

I don't use my hydrometer much either, but I all but stopped caring about measuring anything once I got comfortable with my process and hit all the numbers like clockwork.

I've had a few bad CO2 regulators that failed, some losing me tanks of gas, that's always frustrating.

But the most useless thing I ever bought has to be the jar of 5.2 powder that I later found out is not capable of living up to it's claims, and actually made my beer worse for the couple of batches I was foolish enough to use it in.

My tap water has high pH 7.8-8.0 using the 5.2 powder as directed brings it down to 6.2 on my digital pH meter each time...either my meter is off or they falsely advertise this stuff but I brewed two batches of magic hat #9 clone recently and only had enough for half of my water the second time...that cost me a large amount of efficiency compared to the first so its got to be doing something for my lighter colored beers.

I could not agree more, they are useless. Worse than that, they are inaccurate.

Add a drop of hot wort to the refractometer, and read result, repeat until you get three results that are the same. Don't hold your breath.

I pour my hot wort into a copper cylinder, place in cold water, 1 minute later I place my hydrometer in the copper cylinder and accurately read specific gravity one time.

Back