What is your favorite IPA extract you've made so far. ..

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'll be brewing this tomorrow.

I'll be substituting carahell in for the crystal.

60 Minute Addition 0.75 oz. Warrior Hops
15 Minute addition 0.75 oz. Warrior Hops
05 Minute addition 0.75 oz. Columbus Hops
05 Minute addition 0.75 oz. Simcoe Hops

Post Boil (140-180F) 30 minute hop stand
0.75 oz. Amarillo
0.75 oz. Centennial
1.00 oz. Citra

Dry Hop for 5-7 days
0.25 oz. of Columbus, Simcoe, Amarillo Centennial

If anyone has any refinements they'd make based on experience, please chime in. I'm going a bit light on dry hop compared to the recipe currently.

Steeping instructions submitted in post #29 have been edited for clarity. Apologies, I wrote that post on my cell phone.

Thank you geoffey for assisting him with his questions while I was away.

Regarding the intended IPA recipe referenced in the previous post, I would strongly urge on using more dryhops. The dryhop is the heartbeat for the aromatic character in any AIPA. And using CaraHell is fine... That is really just Weyermann's version of Crystal 10L.

NB Pliny was great. I just kegged my second batch this past weekend.

My favorite non-kit is probably the Zombie Dust recipe on this website.

I forgot that NB started a Heady Topper clone. I'm thinking that's next for me. Or maybe the Morebeer Pliny. That could be cool to do a A/B comparison with NB.

Im partial to my first AG attempt, just because I liked the way all the hops played together. My grain base has since changed for ipas, and I'm thinking of rebrewing with my new base.

10 LB 2 Row
2 lb munich
8oz melanoiden
8oz carapils

1oz warrior @ 60
0.25 oz each of Cascade, Simcoe, Zythos, Centennial @ 10, 5, 0.
0.25 oz each of Cascade, Simcoe, Zythos, and Centennial @ Dry hop.

I've liked my single hop IPAs with my homegrown hops too, but that could also be personal bias. The last keg of Zeus IPA kicked in 8 days though, which was lightning speed.

I liked NBs Dead Ringer kit as well.

Like a chump, I posted an AG recipe without thinking of translating it to extract.

6.6 lb Pale lme
1 lb Pale dme
1.5 lb amber dme

Steep 8oz melanoiden and carapils @150 for 30 minutes.

Same hop schedule as above.

Like a chump, I posted an AG recipe without thinking of translating it to extract.

6.6 lb Pale lme
1 lb Pale dme
1.5 lb munich dme

Steep 8oz melanoiden and carapils @150 for 30 minutes.

Same hop schedule as above.

Yeah, I thought that was kind of strange... Thanks for posting the extract version!

Yeah, I thought that was kind of strange... Thanks for posting the extract version!

I changed Munich to amber dme. It's been a crazy week between work and vacation, I can't even think straight.

If more Munich malt flavor is desired, steep 8oz Munich with the melanoiden and carapils.

Tuesday I stopped at my LHBS and picked up a Nebco Gandhi-Bot extract clone... oh man I can't wait to get this brew started. I left the kit in my vehicle while I was in the grocery store came back and opened the door and got hit in the face with hoppy goodness.

I'll probably get this started next weekend.

I made northern brewers plinian legacy kit..omg...I just brewed the best beer I have ever tasted..I love the Amarillo fwh..yum o

Just sampled my latest batch of Northern Brewer's Ace of Spades IPA. I modified it a little bit, mainly with a little bit more hops (boil and dry hop) and I subbed a little bit of the "Gold" LME with "Dark" LME:

5.25 gallon batch
OG: 1.063 Final Gravity: 1.016 ABV (standard): 6.22% IBU (tinseth): 108.77 SRM (morey): 37.01

Fermentables
Amount Fermentable
3.15 lb Liquid Malt Extract - Dark
6 lb Liquid Malt Extract - Light - (late addition)
9.15 lb Total

Steeping Grains
Amount Fermentable
0.75 lb American - Midnight Wheat Malt
0.625 lb German - CaraMunich III

Hops
Amount Variety Type AA Use Time IBU
1 oz Magnum Pellet 12.3 Boil 60 min 56.07
0.5 oz Chinook Pellet 11.8 Boil 20 min 16.29
0.5 oz Citra Pellet 14.2 Boil 20 min 19.6
0.5 oz Chinook Pellet 11.8 Boil 10 min 9.75
0.5 oz Centennial Pellet 8.7 Boil 5 min 3.95
1 oz Centennial Pellet 8.7 Boil 1 min 1.71
0.5 oz Citra Pellet 14.2 Boil 1 min 1.4

1 oz Chinook Pellet 11.8 Dry Hop 5 days
1 oz Citra Pellet 14.2 Dry Hop 5 days
0.5 oz Centennial Pellet 8.7 Dry Hop 5 days

It turned out really good! Probably one of, if the not the best, Black IPA I've ever had. Used Nottingham yeast, but only got ~75% attenuation, strangely enough. Perhaps the dark LME made it less fermentable?

Swapping 3.15lb's of Gold LME for Dark LME made it a little bit more "stout" like. Not over powering, but it tastes a little bit darker than the original kit. Great winter-time IPA.

Super simple Pale I've been tweaking, is so easy and cheap to do here in Aus it's not funny!
1 x coopers draught an as a base
750g LDME
250g DDME
400g Dextrose
Goldings 60mjns
Either fuggles or (the latest one) galaxy for 10min
US-05

All the extract expect 200g of LDME as a late edition, chop chop, bing bang, thank you very much that's bloody tasty house beer....

She doesn't seem to understand, I really, really, like beer...

2 pounds light LME (start of boil)
7 lbs Marris Otter LME (flame out)
.75 40 L crystal (until 170 degrees)
1 lbs corn sugar (flame out)
1 ounce magnum (60 min)
1 ounce each citra and cascade (10)
1 ounce each " " (0)
2 ounce each " " (dry hop for 1 week after 2nd week)
1 pack US-05

Very tasty

1 ounce magnum (60 min)
1 ounce each " " (0)
1 pack US-05

Very tasty

I like it. Simple. Easy. What temp do you ferment at?

This is gonna sound like a stupid question but does this recipe call for 2 containers of Marris Otter LME? Looks like they come in 3.3lb containers.

Thanks

1 ounce magnum (60 min)
1 ounce each " " (0)
1 pack US-05

Very tasty

Did NB's chinook ipa and added a pound of dme, .5oz simcoe and .5oz of centennial at the 1 minute addition. First dry hop with 1oz simcoe, 1oz centennial, .5oz of chinook. Second dry hop with 1oz each of simcoe and centennial. Smell was tropical and taste had just the right bitterness. I was impressed with myself!

My Citra IPA recipe, my Other IPA is a close second. As far as pre made kits, I really like Brewer's Gold Black IPA.

Brewed this 30min Extract Simple IPA last night, based on some of the ideas in this thread:

5.5 Gal
OG: 1.064
IBU's: approx 58

1.5lb Extra Light DME (30 Min)
3lb Extra Light DME (10 Min)
3lb NB SuperStructure IPA LME (10 Min)
1lb Munich (10 Min)

2oz Columbus (30 Min)
2oz Equinox (Hopstand 30Min @180)
2oz Mosaic (Hopstand 30Min @180)
1oz Equinox (Dry Hop @10 Days)
1oz Mosaic (Dry Hop @10 Days)

This was a nice quick and easy brew day. If this turns out well I'll gladly try it again. Typically I brew AG, but I love the convenience of extract brewing every once in awhile. I've been meaning to try a 30 minute boil beer for some time, and it was lots of fun (and easy) to do.

Holy Crap Heady Nugs from Great Fermentations is way better than any IPA I can get locally, after only 8 days in the bottle. decent carb already and HUGE grapefruit/citrus arome and flavor. Beautiful color. Deeeelicious. My wife even likes it and she doesn't like IPAs

Mexibilly, crazy timing, I brewed Heady Nugs and had the 8 days after bottling last night, I agree it was delicious. My carbing up is really slow though so I hope that won't be a problem. But seriously the flavor and aroma are fantastic.

Question about the late addition nugget hops, have you tried that, how'd it go, what did you pair them with? I've got 1 lbs in the freezer awaiting some "experiments" :D

Nugget is more herbal/spicy when boiled late, and more piney/citrusy/fruity when used as a warm sub-180F hopstand or in the dryhop. I like pairing it with something like Simcoe, Columbus, Centennial for adding more of that piney dankness and clean citrus rather than adding more tropical fruit or overall fruityness.

Has anybody ever tried to brew a beer similar to Lawson's Sip of Sunshine? Man I love that hoppy citrus taste, puts a smile on my face.

I would say my 7 times hopped black ipa. Flavors were awesome. And it drank so easily.

Don't care much for HopHead from midwest. No distinct flavor, more like a mashup of vague, hop-like flavors.
Brewing Heady Nugs IIPA from LHBS in 2 or 3 hours. It has a good reputation. I'll report back...

Wow. Just wow. Heady Nugs from Great Fermentations in Indy is better than any IPA available locally (new castle). I've gotten crazy good reviews from everyone who's tried it. Big grapefruit on the nose and palate.
I'll be doing this one all grain in a few months I hope...

If you are a fan of Bell's Two-Hearted ale (and who isn't?), you'll love Dead Ringer. Both are single hop beers (Centennial); Dead Ringer is about as close as you can get to Bell's Two-Hearted.

Mexibilly, crazy timing, I brewed Heady Nugs and had the 8 days after bottling last night, I agree it was delicious. My carbing up is really slow though so I hope that won't be a problem. But seriously the flavor and aroma are fantastic.

I boiled 5oz corn sugar, half in the bucket, half after half the transfer, stirred gently to distribute, bottled and haven't really seen any change in the great carbonation from 7 days to almost 30 now. This was all at about 68 degrees. Took it all to my basement at about 55 yesterday morning. I'll brew this one again no doubt.
I did get a better head/foam consistency and retention after more time in the fridge (24-48 hours).
Please post your final take on this one. I'm more impressed with this recipe than any other and I've brewed 7 so far...

I boiled 5oz corn sugar, half in the bucket, half after half the transfer, stirred gently to distribute, bottled and haven't really seen any change in the great carbonation from 7 days to almost 30 now. This was all at about 68 degrees. Took it all to my basement at about 55 yesterday morning. I'll brew this one again no doubt.
I did get a better head/foam consistency and retention after more time in the fridge (24-48 hours).
Please post your final take on this one. I'm more impressed with this recipe than any other and I've brewed 7 so far...

Of the kits I brewed there are two that I've said "I have to brew this again immediately" and those two have been the NB Plinian Legacy, and this Heady Nugs. To give context to what I've tried and would brew again in a heartbeat, the others that I really liked are the Midwest Happy Holiday Ale, Midwest Ferocious IPA (Surly Furious clone), Great Fermentations Brain Eater Pale Ale (Zombie Dust clone).

But I agree Heady Nugs really surprised and impressed me. I'm 35 days from brewing it. Earlier I was concerned it had some residual sweetness (2 lbs of corn sugar!) but that has mellowed into the beer. Its a fantastic beer.

I would say my favorite iipa would be nb's plinian legacy..i cried when i drank the last bottle of that..

I just bought a bunch of NBs structured IPA malt extract, but don't have beer smith.

Can't someone tell me a easy way to calculate the amount of extract needed to do an IPA somewhere between 8 and 8.5 percent.

PPG is 1.036 of that helps.

I bought a bunch of these and they come in 3.15 pound containers.

My goal is make a batch around 6.5 gallons as I have a bucket about 7.5 gallons.

I figure from past experience I could use 2 containers of this (6.3 lbs) and use extra pale dry malt to get up to 8% or so.

This is the first time I've haven't used a standard 5 gallon batch and the first time trying to create my own malt bill. Realizing now that I am in over my head

Back