What is your favorite beer category?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

What is your favorite beer genre?

• Belgians

• American

• German

• English

Results are only viewable after voting.
There is a lot of overlap between American and English styles, so it was a tough decision.

I'm confused. The title asks what our favorite category is (That would be like IPA's, Stouts, pale ales, wits, etc.)

Then you ask which genre....but the term genre doesn't really relate to beer (genre is a term mostly for films and novels, (Detective, film noir, westerns, etc.)

Then the poll is based on countries, and only list 4 of them.

You're leaving out a lot of everything.

For example if someone likes a Scottish Wee Heavy, or an Irish Red Ale then there's no place for them in your world....Nor would a Kvass which is Eastern European....

I think this needs more work. ;)

Yeah I'm with Revvy on this. I think the poll question needs to be restated if you wish to use the answer set you had -or change the answer set.
In any case, I find it tough to come up with a favorite. Depending on my mood or what I'm doing (the mood is self-explanatory, as for the other -well, I may feel like a beer with a bit of a fuller body when sitting with friends and nursing a strong ale during conversation -if watching a ballgame then I want a lighter beer -if its cold and I'm trying to relax, a fuller beer like a strong stout is just the thing -as for the country... well I like pretty much all of 'em depending on when you ask (grin). Though not all representations of those countries OR styles are to my liking.
WHEN I get home from work (I work nights) I like to pull a pint of something of a medium body to settle down and read my news before hitting the sack.
-A pint a day is all we ask!

THere's also Russian Imperial Stouts, and Australian Sparkling Ales- Which considering that Cooper's Kits are the most popular brewing kits in the world, that's gotta be a favorite style of many. And they haven't been part of England in a long long time.

Free. Followed closely by cool and home-brewed.

(Voted German but American is right there with them)

Sours - fit in every "style" historically. Sometimes on purpose even!

Wow, guys. Either answer the damn question, or don't. You can't argue that each of the choices have distinct beer cultures and styles that exemplify those cultures.

Arcane, you are exactly right. You can argue that each of those choices have TONS of their own distinct cultures and styles, which is exactly why the question is too broad.

I'm pretty sure that when OP said "category",they meant style...I.e..pale, ipa, wit, hefe, brown etc. It slays me that the OP was blasted for not asking the perfect question. They should be thanked for providing the perfect venue in which to showcase our vast and perfect knowledge of all things beer.
I apologize to op if I'm wrong here. Oh yeah...I'm an I

pa guy.
Sorry I'm a tard

Currently I buy mostly American. So if I'm voting with dollars thats my answer.

in his mercy, the OP has allowed us to pick multiple answers. :)

American, german, and english for me!

Yeah even Revvy joined in to bang the question...what gives? I was even blasted for using what some felt was the wrong categorical adjective to describe the large group of beers that I was trying to join together vs making a poll with 45 different options. I'm sorry if my alternative use of terms compared to what you read in the BJCP Bible offends some of you.

And by the way, Revvy, RIS is an English export beer by history so yes, that would fit under the English category above and would be included in your choices.

I am looking for the most popular group of beers from these four choices, countries that have only a few distinct styles of their own were not included, because again, I'm not making a poll with 45 different options...These four options cover roughly 85% of the beers out there.

Yeah even Revvy joined in to bang the question...what gives? I was even blasted for using what some felt was the wrong categorical adjective to describe the large group of beers that I was trying to join together vs making a poll with 45 different options. I'm sorry if my alternative use of terms compared to what you read in the BJCP Bible offends some of you.

And by the way, Revvy, RIS is an English export beer by history so yes, that would fit under the English category above and would be included in your choices.

I am looking for the most popular group of beers from these four choices, countries that have only a few distinct styles of their own were not included, because again, I'm not making a poll with 45 different options...These four options cover roughly 85% of the beers out there.

I wasn't "banging" you, I was just trying to figure out what the heck you were asking for. How is that banging you????:confused:

Just MAYBE if you had said THIS TO BEGIN WITH-

You would have gotten answers instead of questions and grief. We're NOT psychics....we don't know if you know jack about beer or are just an excited noob who doesn't know about beer styles and such...I was trying to help clarify it in YOUR mind.

Geez. :rolleyes:

Same here. And considering YOU as the OP had no interest in clarifying your postion early in the thread, I didn't feel it was my requirement to clarify mine.

At this point in the beer world, the only answer to your poll might as well be "American", because your other options are all well-represented locally in the "American" beer scene. That is one reason why the choices make no sense.

Revvy, sorry about that! :) I read you replies on my phone, and it was morning, I took it as offensive. After a few beers and well, being anytime but morning, I guess you weren't banging my post lol. Lack of details after a few beers always get generalized, especially when creating a post. Guess what I'm trying to say is, yes, I love you man, lol, Yes this is me after a few beers haha!

Kirks...you betray our southern American heritage by liking anything except Bud Light. What would your Lakeland neighbors say? German beer? That sounds like Nazi talk!
-Jefe-

They line up at my kegerator, drinking up my beer.

:rockin:

And unfortunately, the birthplace of the Nazi Party, Bavaria, is where the BEST beer in the WORLD comes from.

However, Hitler was a teetotaler, so it all works out.

:drunk:

I voted American, I am in love with APAs, IPAs, and Ambers, but I do love Belgians too.

Sent from my Samsung Epic 4G using Home Brew Talk

Back