What is this ??

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jag75

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
The only negative of the spike temp control coil is that its a booger to clean. I let this soak for days in pbw . Its white and can scratch off but a brush doesn't really do the job.

I've always cleaned and soaked in hot water and pbw after each use. Any ideas what it is and how to easily clean it ?

Attachments

• 20210206_073525.jpg
    20210206_073525.jpg
    1,021 KB · Views: 111
Probably not beer stone, more likely pbw scale. If you don't rinse with at least as hot water as the pbw soak, that'll happen.
And acid (citric, white vinegar, whatever's handy) should take it off...

Cheers!

I'm not sure the negative knock you give the coil is fair. Its really really easy to clean. hot water with a kitchen sponge. I "wind" the sponge around the coils twice, once with the soft scrubby up, the second time with it down. takes all of a minutes and its basically spotless to the eye. I then soak in PBW like you already do. As others mentioned the rinse temp is critical, but that's not unique to the coil.

I'm not sure the negative knock you give the coil is fair. Its really really easy to clean. hot water with a kitchen sponge. I "wind" the sponge around the coils twice, once with the soft scrubby up, the second time with it down. takes all of a minutes and its basically spotless to the eye. I then soak in PBW like you already do. As others mentioned the rinse temp is critical, but that's not unique to the coil.

I dont know how big your hands are but I can't get my fingers in between the coils. After I transfer i spray of with hot water . I use a sponge to get the stubborn stuff off . I then soak in hot water and pbw . Then I rinse with hot water . When its wet you dont see this stuff , only once its dry.

I'm gonna try the vinegar and if that dont work ill go to something stronger . I really don't consider it a knock because I really like my Spike , so much I will no doubt buy another .

The only negative of the spike temp control coil is that its a booger to clean. I let this soak for days in pbw . Its white and can scratch off but a brush doesn't really do the job.

I've always cleaned and soaked in hot water and pbw after each use. Any ideas what it is and how to easily clean it ?
weather dependent Pressure washer (select least abbrasive tip )?

So the vinegar didn't work . My next option is take it to a car wash and use the pressure washer to see if it gets it off. Maybe I'll try soaking it in boiling water.

Latest posts

Back