What is this?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Angela, do you mean the blue thing? That's called a mash tun and is a necessary piece of equipment to do all-grain brewing.

yeah take that offer.....the co2 equip alone is worth over 100$ in that pic. Especially if that is a nice metal tap, or coupler. Couplers are like $30 alone, and the dual regulator in image is around $60

Hell, if you wanted i'd buy the mash tun off of you. (been looking for one)

On the flip-side....if you are just getting into home brewing, unless you are keggings already or willing to invest in some kegs (bout $30 a pop) C02 tank (bout $50) and some fittings and hoses the kegging equip may not be on your priority list right now. Also as someone stated, the mash tun is for all-grain brewing, if you are new you may not be looking to do all-grain just yet.

If you are looking for starter equip and are on a budget I would suggest a starter-kit usually includes a fermentation bucket, airlock, siphon, secondary and some bottling equip. All for around ~$150.

Mash-tun, aluminum boil kettle (looks about 8-10 gallons but I'd ask), and CO2 regulator with Sanke keg connection. The Sanke connection is nice for commercial beers, but few home brewers futz with commercial beer kegs, preferring Cornelius/Firestone type soda kegs, of which most use ball lock connectors. That's an easy and cheap conversion (I have done it during parties), the important thing is the regulator. You'll also need a CO2 tank which you can pick up for a hundred bucks or so from any welding shop who will also refill it for you when empty. I've found 10 pound tanks are the best compromise between weight and capacity.

Despite suggestions, there is no carboy in the picture, unless I'm blind. You still need a primary fermenter (secondary is optional) ($30), racking cane ($12), some empty Corny kegs ($30/each), a hydrometer ($7) and thermometer ($10) at a minimum, but this will get you up and running.

He likely did batch sparges as I see no other coolers, which is fine and what most people here seem to prefer from a time and efficiency standpoint.

Any of the three items shown is worth more than the $25 asking price, so go nuts.

Latest posts

Back