what is this?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wes_1696

Reaction score
I made mead before but i never seen this before. it is a peach mead and i racked it a couple of days ago and now it has bubbles on top like it was soapy water. i think i racked it to early, but i let it fermet for 14 day and the gravity didnt fall any more. SG was 1.100 Fg is 1.001. any thoughts?

Those bubbles happen, it's no big deal. I think you racked at a great time. 14 days on some peaches is plenty.

Now it looks like you have a few more gravity point to go. I would let it clear in the secondary and then take the hydrometer reading and if it is done go ahead and bottle it.

It's releasing carbon dioxide. Will continue to do so if you dont degass it.

It's releasing carbon dioxide. Will continue to do so if you dont degass it.

No, it will stop eventually. Give it a few months to clear. As far as degassing goes, you wouldn't ever want to do that while fermentation is still going on.

I just let mine clear in the secondary for about 10 months and it degasses naturally.

Back