What is this on the bottom of my brew pot?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bucks-04

Reaction score
Have scrub at this and it is stubborn. What is this on my brew pot?

image-2182435350.jpg

I have the same stuff but way worse on my aluminum kettle. I figured it was oxidation. I'm definitely not on expert on this stuff by I'd say don't worry about it - if it doesn't come of with cleaners and scrubbing, it probably isn't going to come off when brewing.

Boil kettle? Direct fired? Large banjo burner?

Probably caramelized sugars scorched to the bottom.

Mix up a gallon of PBW, out it in the keg and let it soak fir a few hours before tackling again with a green scrubby.

On the other hand, if you use a steel wool scrubbing pad, it might be rusting steel scraped into the keg's bottom.

Use Bar Keepers Friend powdered stainless steel cleaner. It's frickin magic! My brew pot used to look like that, but I used the Bar Keepers friend and a scrubby and in one minute it looks brand new again!

BKF is an abrasive in an oxalic acid mix. Sandpaper and a bottle of vinegar will do the same thing.:)

PBW is similar to Oxy-clean, but with chelating agents and buffers that make it much more useful/friendly to metals. It cleans chemically so you don't have to do much scrubbing.

I wouldn't recommend taking sand paper to your boil kettle

Sent from my DROID RAZR HD using Home Brew mobile app

Soak with star san solution for about an hour; it will come right off....phos acid will work too.

I wouldn't recommend taking sand paper to your boil kettle

LOL

Neither would I. That's why I wouldn't recommend Varkeepers a Friend, either. If you re-read my post, I was advocating use of PBW.

:tank:

Unless its burnt, I wouldn't worry too much about it. It should be organic deposits such as sugars from the wort. If it gets much thicker than the fine layer it currently is, then removing it will be necessary.

I use an aluminum kettle and I leave that brown layer in the kettle. It insulates the wort from the bare aluminum. It does not get any thicker in my system.

LOL

Neither would I. That's why I wouldn't recommend Varkeepers a Friend, either. If you re-read my post, I was advocating use of PBW.

:tank:

My bad. I read it so fast I missed it! I just seen sand paper and was like whoa!!

Back