What is this infection? Is it necessarily a Bad Thing(TM)?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bradmont

Reaction score
(Edit, my apologies if this is the wrong forum, I wasn't sure.)

I have a random brew that I made with some leftover grain and stuff a couple months ago, details here - Something Something Belgian. Decided to pitch some belgian yeast and ferment open for a few days until the krausen died down, then racked to a carboy (with the yeast cake). Had a taste maybe 5 weeks ago and it was definitely weird, but kind of good -- lots of peppery esters and such. It's been in my closet since, and I recently pulled it out and had a look, only to find it infected (can't say I'm terribly surprised, though.) So can anyone identify this infection?

99EkSl.jpg

zUA7Ml.jpg

To see larger resolution look here.

I had a taste tonight (the pellicle is broken in the picture from where I took the sample). It still has a lot of odd esters, the carboy smells almost like fermenting wine, still tastes peppery, and a little too roasty (put too much chocolate malt in). I think I detected a bit of a sour taste, but with all the other strong flavours going on I couldn't be sure; not to mention that I haven't had much sour beer so I don't really know what to look for. If this winds up being "Something Something Sour Belgian" I wouldn't mind, but I have no experience with critters other than yeast.

So my question is, what is this infection? Should I do something to get rid of it, or let it ride? Or something else?

Thanks!

the only thing that can hurt you is the taste...chill it, carbonate it, and see what you think.

Back