What is the max BTU output of a propane tank?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cannman

Beer Theorist
Reaction score
BBQ 5 gal pound type thing.

I'm looking to hookup a 55k BTU and 118k tankless water heater to the same tank, two different regulators and run them at the same time. Was wondering if the tank would be able to supply enough fuel to both devices.

A standard BBQ tank is 20 pound if a trade in it is usually filled to about 15 pounds. I can run my 55k btu burner for about 5-8 brew sessions. It all depends on how long the heat sources are drawing off the tank for how long the tank will last.

I would think it would supply both heaters. But, for how long.

The limiting factor may turn out to be temperature: pull a high enough volume of gas out of a barbecue tank and it can freeze up and the gas pressure will plummet...

Cheers!

A standard BBQ tank is 20 pound if a trade in it is usually filled to about 15 pounds. I can run my 55k btu burner for about 5-8 brew sessions. It all depends on how long the heat sources are drawing off the tank for how long the tank will last.

I would think it would supply both heaters. But, for how long.

Yep that's the one. As long as the throughput is there, that will do for me...

BBQ 5 gal pound type thing.

I'm looking to hookup a 55k BTU and 118k tankless water heater to the same tank, two different regulators and run them at the same time. Was wondering if the tank would be able to supply enough fuel to both devices.

the tank can certainly meet the demand, but you need a regulator that can pass enough fuel.

since your total load is ~ 173k this reg should do the trick:
http://www.amazon.com/dp/B0014E3MSI/?tag=skimlinks_replacement-20

most propane equipment is designed to run on 11" water column so I don't think you'll need a secondary reg

edit: i looked at the specs on bayou classic burners and it looks like they run on 10-30psi so will need a secondary reg (which would be the low pressure I linked above). your primary reg will need to be appropriate for your main burner. if you can specify which burner it is, we can help find an appropriate regulator setup for your system

Last edited by a moderator:
the tank can certainly meet the demand, but you need a regulator that can pass enough fuel.

since your total load is ~ 173k this reg should do the trick:
http://www.amazon.com/dp/B0014E3MSI/?tag=skimlinks_replacement-20

most propane equipment is designed to run on 11" water column so I don't think you'll need a secondary reg

edit: i looked at the specs on bayou classic burners and it looks like they run on 10-30psi so will need a secondary reg (which would be the low pressure I linked above). your primary reg will need to be appropriate for your main burner. if you can specify which burner it is, we can help find an appropriate regulator setup for your system

Thanks for all the good info!!!

I am using the Bayou Classic burner (GREAT VALUE!). I was planning on splitting at the source since both the burner and TWH have their own gas regulator (I'll verify this with the manufacturer).

Last edited by a moderator:

Latest posts

Back