What is the idea behind Teflon tape?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Finlandbrews

Reaction score
I have my kettle to which I need to attach a 3 ball valve, a heating element and closing button made of stainless steel instead of thermometer. My question is do I need to put Teflon tape on the thread of each of the elements in I will attach to my kettle? Why is the Teflon tape needed? Finally, how often do I need to unmount these 3 pieces from my kettle and remove the Teflon tape?

Teflon tape lubricates and seals tapered pipe threads. Only use it on tapered pipe threads. I don't understand your last question. Why would you have to remove the teflon tape?

Edit- What's a closing button?

Teflon tape will provide a seal that should prevent any seepage at the threaded connection.
It's way preferable to pipe thread compound due to being able to remove what's left if you do need to remove a fitting, then simply apply new.
For water treatment I go a bit past twice around and it works exactly as designed.
As far as the need to remove fittings in the future, if you do, removal of remnants and application of fresh thread tape is a cinch.

Teflon tape lubricates and seals tapered pipe threads. Only use it on tapered pipe threads. I don't understand your last question. Why would you have to remove the teflon tape?

Edit- What's a closing button?

I don't know the exact name of that stainless steel piece I called "closing button". Basically my kettle is pre drilled for a thermometer but I don't have one yet so I have that thing just to close the hole.

My last question was badly formulated... How often does the Teflon tape need to be replaced?

Can you tell me exactly what is tappered pipe thread? Thank you

use teflon tape generously. Wrap it so that when you tighten the connections the connections rotate in the same direction as the tape.

If you don't use it two things will happen

Leaks
Gall the stainless steel destroying the hardware

Use Teflon tape.

Thanks a million, I will use it on all male threads then, generously as well!

Only thing I wonder is how often should it be replaced? And also, do you unmount the ball valve and heating element every time after a brew?

Only thing I wonder is how often should it be replaced? And also, do you unmount the ball valve and heating element every time after a brew?

Only ever if you unscrew the pieces with the teflon wrapped, which for me has been never. I also don't unmount the ball valve, though while some do I'm fairly certain most don't do it anywhere near after every brew, that would be a major pain in the butt. Some do it every certain amount of brews for a good cleaning. In the 4 or so years I've had my Blichmann kettle I have never once removed and disassembled the ball valve and it's never been an issue. I just make sure that after every brew I clean out the valve/barb using a dip tube brush (gets all the way in there) and also open and close the valve several times while draining the oxiclean I use to wash the inside so it gets everywhere inside the valve. I then also open and close the valve repeatedly while rinsing to get the rinse water everywhere.

Been working perfectly and honestly I haven't seen a need to change. Best practice of course though would be to give it a disassemble and clean every once in a while.

Rev.

I almost never unmount my heating element but every few brews I take apart my valve for a thorough cleaning. I replace the teflon tape every time.

I leave the 3-piece valve screwed to the kettle, taking it apart in-place every so many (4-8) brews. Just unscrew the 4 bolts and clean all the pieces. Keep the nuts on the kettle side of the valve for easy (dis)assembly.

After rinsing water through, fully open, there are ways to clean the inside of those valves while mounted without taking them apart each time. Open the valve part-ways so when you look through you'd see a "cat's eye" opening. Flush water or cleanser solution through from both ends. Rinse and store half open like that.

Teflon tape is used on stainless pipe fittings because under pressure stainless galls. That is basically pressure welding itself. It also helps to seal the joint.

Back