What is the best tap for my keezer?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bullhawk

Reaction score
I am building a keezer out of a 8.7 cu. ft. freezer, I am to the point that I will be buying my taps soon. What tap would you recommend? I was going with the Perlick 650ss until I read a thread on here about a sulfer smell from the first couple of ounces.

I bought 4 of the Perlick 630ss taps when I built a keezer 2 months ago. I'm very happy with them and have not noticed any off flavors. I would imagine the 650 are just as good.

Last edited by a moderator:
Morebeer has perlick 650SS faucets on sale for $49.99. They're the flow control faucets; I bought two for my keezer which has not been built yet. I decided not to save $10 per faucet and instead not regretting later. At that price I couldn't say no--and free shipping!

Everyone swears on perlicks. They are the industry standard. I went with vent-matics. They are simply amazing. A bit pricey but i feel worth the investment. I'm very happy with them.

I have 5 cheap chrome ones I got 5 years ago for less than one perlick. I don't see the point, but I might just be weird.

I have 5 cheap chrome ones I got 5 years ago for less than one perlick. I don't see the point, but I might just be weird.

I have a cheap chrome one as well. The thing I don't like about it is that it gets sticky/stuck after a while.
I've read that the Perlicks don't have this problem due to the way they are constructed.

I have a cheap chrome one as well. The thing I don't like about it is that it gets sticky/stuck after a while.
I've read that the Perlicks don't have this problem due to the way they are constructed.

I replaced all my cheap faucets with Intertap forward sealing. Unless you are pouring very often, the cheap faucets require much more cleaning than the forward sealing faucets from Intertap, Perlick, or Ventmatic.

I found that I'd really want to get in there and break down the cheap faucets every few weeks because of an accumulation of gunk. If you just have one or two faucets that are in constant use, then it probably isn't as much of a problem. I've got 8 faucets that only see occasional use.

I replaced all my cheap faucets with Intertap forward sealing. Unless you are pouring very often, the cheap faucets require much more cleaning than the forward sealing faucets from Intertap, Perlick, or Ventmatic.

I found that I'd really want to get in there and break down the cheap faucets every few weeks because of an accumulation of gunk. If you just have one or two faucets that are in constant use, then it probably isn't as much of a problem. I've got 8 faucets that only see occasional use.

I have just one.
I love my beer, but I also am trying to keep from becoming an alchy...so invariably the tap will sit a day or two between uses and takes this opportunity to get sticky.

Ive had 3 of the cheap faucets for about 4 years now and am about to make the move to convert to perlicks. I run cleaner through the lines and faucets ~ 3 months. Always have 3 kegs on tap, but only drink on the weekend. They have served me well so far, but I feel like perlicks are something that needs to happen.

+1 for the 650SS. What I appreciate most is not having to worry about length of hoses or serving pressure. I just dial in the flow rate to get the perfect pour, and that it's it. Set it and forget it. :) Easy to keep clean and forgiving if I forget to clean. I'm glad I spent the extra money, and when I move from my 5 faucet set up to my 9 faucet set up, I will most certainly buy more of them.

I had a two tap kegerator on my porch with the cheeeep faucets to begin with. The rapid build up of gunk was too much to bear. Replaced with Perlicks. The difference is awesome! I bought 3 more and put them all on my new keezer. Looks awesome and performs flawlessly! +1 for Perlick!

I have 2 of the Perlick 630SS & love them. My neighbor is in the process of building a Keezer and he went with the flow control Perlicks - hasn't used 'em yet & I have heard mixed things about the flow control. Local brewpub put 15 flow control perlicks in and ended up removing the flow control parts because they were a PITA, but then I have also heard people who LOVE them.

I just ordered Perlick 650 taps and now I need to figure out what is the best way to go with my secondary regulator. I want to be able to adjust the C02 by keg so I began looking at Taprite seemed like it was the middle of the road as far as regulators go. Is there a good quality less expensive regulator for my setup. I will have 6 taps when I'm finished and it is a little pricey for the Taprite. I'm just looking at options right now.

I have (4) 650's and love them... My line lengths are all less than 1', which is awesome. Line length just really doesn't matter at all with these faucets... My keezer is set at 42F and my pressures are around 16psi give or take. Even my berliner at 18-20psi pours just fine with a 1ft line!

I bottle and fill growlers from them with little issue at all, being able to reduce the flow for filling.

Also, about the sulfur smell, that only happens with sours... And the one sour I have on tap, it was real bad at first but no longer has that smell. It looks like it only happened when it was new for whatever reason, but no smell at all after the first week or two I had it on tap.

Faucets are easy to clean as well.

Regulator wise, I use both Taprite primary and secondary regulators. No issues at all with them.

I just ordered Perlick 650 taps and now I need to figure out what is the best way to go with my secondary regulator. I want to be able to adjust the C02 by keg so I began looking at Taprite seemed like it was the middle of the road as far as regulators go. Is there a good quality less expensive regulator for my setup. I will have 6 taps when I'm finished and it is a little pricey for the Taprite. I'm just looking at options right now.

For the price, Taprite is an amazing quality. I recommend them to everyone. The big adjustment knob makes them very easy to use too. You can go cheaper, but won't be happy in the long run... and you'll probably end up replacing them with Taprites. Lol!

Taprite makes a wonderful product, and I hear their customer service is second to none. I don't know personally, because I've never had a problem with any of mine in close to a decade!

:mug:

Have 3 perlicks coming in for my birthday from the lovely wife. I may get some shanks for the old faucets and make an outdoor portable tapper and serve the kegs from iced 5 gal buckets

Thanks for the response I just ordered a four product secondary regulator at the beverage factory for $169.00, 20% off not a bad deal. I also ordered two more Perlick 650"s faucets at ritebrew for $48.00. Thanks again for the response.

Back