What is right term for this brewing style?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

C-Rider

HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I have some grains to seep, + LME, and later boil w/some hops.

Partial boil? Partial extract?

Mahalo in advance

i believe that is partial mash. you use some malt extract that has already been mashed at the factory, and you mash some whole grain yourself.

i believe that partial boil means that you don't boil the malt extract for a full hour.

i believe that is partial mash. you use some malt extract that has already been mashed at the factory, and you mash some whole grain yourself.

i believe that partial boil means that you don't boil the malt extract for a full hour.

You're more or less describing apples/oranges...

Partial mash is when you use both mashed grains and extract. Just steeping grains for color and flavor isn't mashing.

Partial boil means you boil less than your total volume, and top off the fermenter with water...

It's only a partial mash IF you include base malt with the grains. If you're just steeping grains, then it's not a partial mash. You need to actually mash (with base malt) converting starches into sugars, before it can be considered a partial mash recipe (since you're getting the fermenting sugars from malt extract)...

Partial boil has to do with how much wort you boil. A partial boil is any amount that will produce less than the actual amount of wort to be fermented. So, if you boil the wort, have less than the target volume in primary, topping it off with cold water, then it's a partial boil.

There is no 'partial extract' term... Your choices are: all grain, partial mash, extract with specialty (or steeping) grains, and all extract...

Personally, I started on extract with specialty grains, did one partial mash (more like mostly mash, since I only used a small percentage of DME) and then went right onto all grain brewing... Haven't looked back since. Just do what you're comfortable with, and have the hardware to do... It's not always easy to get a full batch boil going on a stove.

Thanks all. I guess I'm into extract with specialty (or steeping) grains, now. Will probably not go back to Cooper's the only one sold here. Shipping things here is two expensive so I'll do all my shopping at the LHBS.

Good reason to migrate to all grain brewing, if at all possible... Get your ingredients in bulk, and you'll have less to worry about. If you're up for it, and brew often enough, you can also harvest/wash yeast to keep a supply on hand. Plenty of ways to shave costs from each batch... :rockin:

Good reason to migrate to all grain brewing, if at all possible... Get your ingredients in bulk, and you'll have less to worry about. If you're up for it, and brew often enough, you can also harvest/wash yeast to keep a supply on hand. Plenty of ways to shave costs from each batch... :rockin:

Perhaps down the road. I want to work into this slowly. :=) :tank:

Back