What is needed to make sure a used keg is okay to use

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DBUFF

Reaction score
I just got a used corney keg that was filthy and
Still had Pepsi sitting at the bottom of it. I took it apart, rinsed it out and filled it with PBW and water and, of course, placed the dip tubes, keg posts, poppits etc in PBW and water as well. I plan on rinsing it out tomorrow and then soaking it all in star San prior to use. I also have new o rings as well as gas and beverage lines. What else do I need to do prior to using this keg

Pressure test would be a good idea. Make sure there is no gunk in the dip tube.

Keep the old poppits, just in-case the new ones don't work or you have to bend them a little.

Like grathan says, a pressure test is absolutely critical. If the keg can't hold CO2 under pressure, it's useless. If it leaks intially under pressure, try to locate the leak. If it's around the lid seal, use some keg lube, it works wonders. Sometimes it takes a while for it to build up enough internal pressure to "seal" the seals (i.e. apply enough pressure to the lid to seal it to the rim).

The things I done when I first got my used kegs (which all had soda in them) were:

Bought a new toilet brush to scrub the inside of the keg.
Bought a dip tube brush to scrub the gas/liquid dip tubes.
Soaked the kegs in hot Oxy-clean solution, rinsed and repeated.
Sanitized them.
Changed out all O-rings.
Pressurized them to about 20 psi to see if they would hold pressure for a few days to a week. If they did, they were ready for beer.

One other thing to note. As you start getting more kegs (which you will), clean them one at a time. Don't do all of them at once and have the posts and poppets all mixed up in a small bowl of PBW solution. Not all ball lock parts are universal. Also, a tube of keg lube is good to have around.

Back