What is it?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

chlamy

Reaction score
This solid material is always present when I do BIAB. What is it? Maybe setting too fine during milling? Will it hurt the beer? I've added the whole trub in the fermenter and really haven't thought it affected the beer.

image-3126545745.jpg

Looks totally normal to me. I'm guessing you used flacked wheat in this batch? It's just a guess. I'm basing my assumption on a Witbier and an APA I just brewed. The ingredients I used, among others, was flacked wheat, and there's sooooooo much fine material in grains, there's no hope of getting all of it out...at least not on the operation I'm running ;)

I think it is finely ground grain that is not soluble. It is like a fine powder that never dissolves.

chlamy said:
I think it is finely ground grain that is not soluble. It is like a fine powder that never dissolves.

I agree. I have this in every pre-boil sample I take to measure gravity. Always assumed it was due to the fine crush.

Back