What is going on here?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tfrost12

Reaction score
I have had this bath fermenting for a while, and just left it alone in the back of the closet. I pulled it out to get another reading and this is what I found. I dont recall reading about this in any other book or forum before. My guess is either bacteria or or wild yeast. It also has started to bubble more often then it should.

Carboy1.jpg

sediment looks to have collected on those ridges and is slowly falling out. I wouldn't necessarily worry about it.

This. Looks like yeast. The color of the stuff on the sides is the same color (roughly) as the top layer of sediment on the bottom of the carboy.

In other news, holy fermenting beer, Batman! Looks like you have a lot of stuff going!

I was just worried because it was in the primary for 20 days, and now in the secondary for 29. I assumed it should stop bubbling twice in one minute. But if everyone thinks its fine ill let it sit a little longer then bottle.

That's a lot of yeast collected for a secondary. Was it finished when you racked?

But yes that is yeast. Don't worry about it unless you are keeping those puppies in a warm place to secondary. Wouldn't want autolysis to taint a nice brew.

20 days in primary and another 4 weeks in secondary and still having activity is a little odd. I know there are cases that this happens but almost never...would say its done and its just CO2 coming out of solution.

I would taste a gravity sample and if its yummy, cold crash to settle everything and bottle/keg. I you are bottling you could take a couple gravity readings a day or 2 apart just to be sure...

OK it taste ok, not one of my best. Tastes a little too sweet, just lack of hops sweet. I guess im going to bottle it and hope it isnt tainted. It just seemed so weird for the sediment not to fall to the bottom. Just have to wait till a lagering space is available to put these yeasties in a slumber.
Oh yeah the gravity isnt changing anymore in the last week. maybe half a point at best.

What yeast and sanitizer did you use? I had the same issue in a secondary using Yeast 1388. I sanitize with Iodophor. I thought maybe it's the Iodophor that left some residue or a wild yeast needless to say he beer was 8.5% and a bit cidery but I used a lot of sugar to bring up the alcohol. Otherwise not overly good or bad just ok IMO.

It isn't tainted. A wild yeast infection (or any infection) is pretty obvious from what I've seen.

infected1.jpg

It's just your normal brewer's yeast that collected on the side. Different yeast will do different stuff in different beers. If you had a higher gravity beer with a high flocculation yeast, you'll see lots of yeast all over the sides, bottom, and top.

Back