What is food grade lubricant ? And cleaner as well ?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jokester

Reaction score
This is a kitchenaid someone gave away cos its making a grinding noise while spinning. Has plenty of power, so no broken teeth in the gears etc.
I want to clean it - so what is the cleaner to use ? Simple green ?
Then the biggie, I want to lube it, but not wanting to wait a week+ for getting the lube, I'll basically do it tomorrow and be done with it.
Could I use crisco ? What else is a good option ?

I'm guessing it's seeping oil from the seams? That's normal when it hasn't been run regularly. The grease separates if not regularly mixed. Any typical grease cutting kitchen surface cleaner is fine.

To regrease, do not use Crisco. With heat it'll turn to liquid. Use a food-grade grease meant for gearboxes.

Also, the grinding. Be aware of a plastic gear in there that is meant to fail in order to protect the more expensive parts. You'll often find that gear and the grease in many repair kits.

No oil from the thing, it just making a grinding noise when it runs instead of the usual whirr whirr - its now like Grrrr Grrrr. I guess its because it was let sit for long but not run constantly to over shoot the grease's end of life.
Oh yea plastic gear is showing in many of these kits. OK Looks like I am ordering and waiting. Good thing its only $12 shipped and I guess I'm doing this next weekend then.

i'd check the cover of the gears, see if it's a cheap costco version with a plastic gear box cover. i forget what broke mine, but i vaguely remember using the pasta extruder attachment, which pushed it past it's limits...

Might as well check/replace the brushes.
I checked those, they're external in this model and they're nice long and clean and I can replace them any time in 5 sec, so I'll likely not till its going bad.

i'd check the cover of the gears, see if it's a cheap costco version with a plastic gear box cover. i forget what broke mine, but i vaguely remember using the pasta extruder attachment, which pushed it past it's limits...

OK I'll do that as well.

One of the screws that holds the U shaped metal band is stripped. But luckily, no bolts are under that thing. Its also clean under it, so I'll likely get by without having to take it off. I'll post about how I make out. BTW there's a black benelene based grease, as well as one that looks like peanut butter color as well as one that looks like lithium grease - which is the right one ?

https://www.ebay.com/itm/384994050805?hash=item59a36f02f5:g:UZcAAOSwrLhixya7
Was this the housing you were talking about ? I should open mine I guess, however my plastic gear I'm sure is fine, the thing just makes a grinding noise while running, it has plenty of power, likely cos it sat for too long after they dented the bowl and replaced it with a food processor before giving it to me.

I checked those, they're external in this model and they're nice long and clean and I can replace them any time in 5 sec, so I'll likely not till its going bad.

OK I'll do that as well.

One of the screws that holds the U shaped metal band is stripped. But luckily, no bolts are under that thing. Its also clean under it, so I'll likely get by without having to take it off. I'll post about how I make out. BTW there's a black benelene based grease, as well as one that looks like peanut butter color as well as one that looks like lithium grease - which is the right one ?

https://www.ebay.com/itm/384994050805?hash=item59a36f02f5:g:UZcAAOSwrLhixya7
Was this the housing you were talking about ? I should open mine I guess, however my plastic gear I'm sure is fine, the thing just makes a grinding noise while running, it has plenty of power, likely cos it sat for too long after they dented the bowl and replaced it with a food processor before giving it to me.

i was thinking about this, mine got a crack in it....

https://www.goodmans.net/i/1701/kitchenaid-mixer-8211779-9703671-8212396-gear-hous.htm

the only food grade lubricant that will not go rancid that I know of is food grade mineral oil.
It's not intended to be consumed, per se, but it is meant to be used around food equipment etc.
I use it on my butcher block and cutting boards when I happen to resurface them, and on my commercial deli slicer.

Back