What is brown malt?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Gabe

It's a sickness!
Reaction score
I bought 2 # of brown malt thinking it was somthing else, and then heard that it was actually a smoked malt. Has anyone used brown malt befor? For what type of beer? If it is a smoked malt is it like peat malt or not as smoky? I want to use it now that I have it except I don't know what for. little help....

Brown malt is a type of roasted malt, it's not smoked.

It's lighter than chocolate malt, and has a really nutty flavor to it. You can make your own by roasting 2-row at about 500F until you get the right color. It does not need to be mashed. It's traditionally used in brown porters.

You can use it in any recipe that calls for victory, vienna, biscuit. The flavor will be slightly different, Brown Malt is rather nutty, but it would work. I wouldn't call it a replacement for chocolate, but again, it would work.

Brown Malt used to be lightly smoked and was used mostly in porters, but now it's just roasted.

You'll get better yields if you mash it, but it does ok steeped.

Thanks I was planning a Nut Brown for Christmas so this will be a good addition to my grain bill..... Cheers

Latest posts

Back