What is a good percentage of flaked oats in a stout?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gkeusch

Reaction score
All-grain mash, what is a good percentage of oats in the grain bill? I haven't used oats in a long time and I seem to recall discussion about should you use rolled oats or quick oats or steel cut oats or what? Is the good old cardboard canister of Quaker oats what I want?
Thanks.

This is from John Palmer ("How To Brew"):

Adding Oatmeal To A Brew

Oats are wonderful in a porter or stout. Oatmeal lends a smooth, silky mouthfeel and a creaminess to a stout that must be tasted to be understood. Oats are available whole, steel-cut (i.e. grits), rolled, and flaked.

Rolled and flaked oats have had their starches gelatinized (made soluble) by heat and pressure, and are most readily available as "Instant Oatmeal" in the grocery store.

Whole oats and "Old Fashioned Rolled Oats" have not had the degree of gelatinization that Instant have had and must be cooked before adding to the mash.

"Quick" oatmeal has had a degree of gelatinization but does benefit from being cooked before adding to the mash. Cook according to the directions on the box (but add more water) to ensure that the starches will be fully utilized.

Use 0.5-1.5 lb. per 5 gal batch. Oats need to be mashed with barley malt (and its enzymes) for conversion.

Hope it helps. :)

After trying different types of oats in various stout recipes I've come to the conclusion that flaked oats almost always work best for me. I like at least 5% in almost any stout but if I want the oatmeal flavor to really stand out I use 10 maybe even 15%.

I combo'd Flaked Oats (13.3%) and Flaked Barley (7.6%) for a total of 21% of the grist on an Oatmeal Stout after previously at FO (8.9%) & FB (4.4%). I liked the higher ratios better, but it is all personal taste.

Back