What is a 5 gallon batch?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

eviljafar

Reaction score
I’m Australian so therefore I find the imperial system completely ridiculous but I’m probably not going to make many friends in this forum by banging on about the metric vs imperial issue.

What I’m wondering though, so I can convert it to metric for easy calculations, is what is meant by a 5 gallon batch? Is it 5 gallons in the primary, 5 gallon in the secondary, or for those of us that bottle, is it 5 gallons in the bottling bucket? :confused:

Regards by the kilogram,

Jaf.

Yeah, the imperial system is ridiculous...I think many agree with you there. Anyway, 5 gallons is about 19L, figure you lose a few litres into trub puts you at around 15-16L in the bottling bucket, around 42-48 355mL bottles.

DeathBrewer said:
hey, don't knock the "Standard System" :mad:

just kidding, it is pretty silly :p

I could care less at to which system we use. One system makes things more simple. i seem to have a good grasp ofthe metric system. I deal with it regularly at work and at home.

Drinking a whole liter is better than a pint!!:mug:

i ship internationally...we sell items in pints, liters, kg, lb, quarts, grams, etc. i had a driver give me crap once cuz i was told him he had 800 kg to ship. "Pounds! I'm an american!" I apologized that i embarrassed him because he didn't have the ability to read his paperwork. what a ******.

we also deal with the raw materials and i still can't understand why we buy something in liters and use it in kg or pounds. you should see my conversion table...what a mess. i think that's a problem i will address next year when i have time for another project...stock stuff as we use it.

To me, a 5 gallon batch is a full corny keg after racking and filling a couple of hydrometer jars during the process. I always shoot for 5.5 gallons in the bucket.

5 gallons in the bucket I think is the standard definition. Like EdWort, though, I aim high so I can try to get 5 in the final container(s).

And you won't find me arguing against the metric system:mug:

google is always your friend. do a google seach on "5 gallons in liters" and it will do the conversion for you.

The continued use of the "old" system costs the US billions, yes that is billions of $ every year. Thank you Ronald Reagan...

malkore said:
google is always your friend. do a google seach on "5 gallons in liters" and it will do the conversion for you.
But you can never be quite sure if it is converting US gallons (~19 liters) or imperial gallons (~23 litres) :) Prefix gallons with US or imperial to be sure.

Got Trub? said:
The continued use of the "old" system costs the US billions, yes that is billions of $ every year. Thank you Ronald Reagan...
Is that US billions (10 ^9) or English billions (10^12) :D

-a.

For me it's 22L at the end of the boil and 20-21L into the fermenter. 18-19L in the keg.

The trauma of going metric.

Buying gas (petrol) under the standard system:
A. Fill it
B. $20 worth, please.

Buying gas (petrol) under the metric system:
A. Fill it
B. $20 worth, please.

How far is it to Disneyland?

Standard: About 45 minutes, unless you hit bad traffic.
Metric: About 45 minutes, unless you hit bad traffic.

Metric is undoubtedly better because everything converts so easily. Example Kilogram equals 1000 grams some with liters meters whatever. That makes so much more sense than our system but I"m still more comfortable with the standard system because afterall I am an American and it is what I"m used to.

DeathBrewer said:
hey, don't knock the "Standard System" :mad:

just kidding, it is pretty silly :p

Listen, this system built the strongest nation in the world today! It's wonderful. Everyone should know a Roman foot is 12 inches long! And a yard is the average lengh of a Roman soldier's stride. What's wrong with you guys? Just kidding........:)

First and 9.14 on the 36.57! Only 18.29 meters to go before the offense will reach the red zone!

See. Clearly, metric is no good.

Metric and American Football would be OK, they would just have to add about 9 1/2 feet to the field to round off 100 Meters.

As much as I hate to say it, Metric is the better system.

“The metric system is the tool of the devil! My car gets forty rods to the hogshead, and that's the way I likes it!” - Grampa Simpson

(yes, imperial sucks)

I agree with EdWort. I shoot for 5.5 US gallons in the kettle at the end of the boil so that I get 5.25 gallons in my 6.5 gallon primary, 5.0 gallons in my secondary, and just under 5 gallons in the keg.

Here in Canada the 5 Gallon bucket became the 20 Liter bucket. As previously stated the Metric system is by far the superior. The confusion happens when you attempt to convert....Something that I aspire to avoid.

For me, the batch size = the post boil volume. I design my recipes as 6 gallon batches in order to get 5 gallons (give or take a little) of finished beer. I usually lose 1/2 gallon to the trub in the boil kettle, and a little less than that in the primary fermenter.

Having said that, in order to duplicate someones recipe on my system (regardless of their stated volume) all I need to know is the SG, IBU's, and grain proportions. Then I can adjust the recipe for my efficiency and batch size.

Back