what if I add a ton of malt extract?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

demerson87

Reaction score
I'm trying to figure out how much make extract to purchase and realized I don't know the full effects of the extract. For example, what I'm I just bought 12 lbs and loaded it up? What would be different about that beer vs me just adding 6lbs?

Thanks

it would be twice the alcohol level. I can't figure out if you are for real or just someone messing with us.

if you make a beer with 6 lbs of malt extract it will be lighter than one made with more malt extract....seems logical right?

using more extract would also mean using more hops to balance out the increased alcohol and sweetness.

this forum is a wealth of information, use the search bar or google it to try to find out what you want.

If you are talking about buying extract in bulk then you would differently save money, obviously.

Extract is concentrated, flavored sugar. Adding more extract (say 5 lbs) vs same ratio of grain (say 5 lbs) would equal sweeter beer and higher alcohol content. Like runningweird says, you would typically need more hops to balance the sweetness. And I agree with him also in terms of looking up the sugar content of extract vs grain.

I would suggest using a beer recipe program (Beersmith, etc.) to determine the difference. Many of these programs will show you how balanced your sweetness and hoppiness is with the style you are shooting for.

As a former extract brewer who is now all-grain, I would suggest making a switch to the brew in a bag method or a cooler all-grain setup. It costs less with only slightly more work-plus the beers seem better.

Back