What I did for beer today

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Moved my wlp030 slants to the fridge. Brewed a Best Bitter with the wlp030 yeast I built up before thanksgiving. I used the wheeler courage best bitter recipe, 1oz of black patent malt in a 3gal batch really came out quite dark.
IMG_3448 - Copy.JPG

edit: added a pic, it also had 4oz of carastan, looks darker in a wider glass

Last edited:
Back on Thursday, amongst all the rest going on in the kitchen, I prepared a shaken-not-stirred starter with a tsp of slurry in a pint of fresh wort. Shake, shake, shake, set it in the closet.

It reached high krausen too early, by Saturday evening it had fallen. On Sunday, brew day, the surface was clear.

Pitching at high krausen is ideal. I've pitched early, I've now pitched late. Now I know, err on a later pitch.

Pitched the whole pint of starter into 4gal of 1.065 wort yesterday evening. Woke up to churning beer and an inch of creamy, yeasty krausen.

20211129_075219.jpg

Cut back the passion fruit vine and collected 10 gallons of fruit. Not looking forward to processing it all, but I am looking forward to whatever we ferment it into.
Mash it up with some mango and use it a secondary for a mango-PF IPA?

I am extremely jealous as passionfriut is one of my favorite fruits. Up here in Canada, they are prohibitively expensive. Something like $2 per fruit, if you can even find them.

Moved my wlp030 slants to the fridge. Brewed a Best Bitter with the wlp030 yeast I built up before thanksgiving. I used the wheeler courage best bitter recipe, 1oz of black patent malt in a 3gal batch really came out quite dark.
View attachment 750612

i think more people then just me think, you have got to have the prettiest test cylinder ever!

Just trying to keep up with
i think more people then just me think, you have got to have the prettiest test cylinder ever!
Thanks but I think that honor belongs to @grampamark or some of the others that post clear post ferment pics.

This is tube #4, two easy to clean ones with removable bases would leak, #3 turned frosty. I wonder which is going to break first the tube or the hydrometer. I am guessing the hydro first from bouncing off the bottom.
edit: It came from Williams homebrewing, does not need much to fill it.

Just trying to keep up with

Thanks but I think that honor belongs to @grampamark or some of the others that post clear post ferment pics.

This is tube #4, two easy to clean ones with removable bases would leak, #3 turned frosty. I wonder which is going to break first the tube or the hydrometer. I am guessing the hydro first from bouncing off the bottom.
edit: It came from Williams homebrewing, does not need much to fill it.

i hope i never have to post a pic of mine! i know if i ever posted a pic of my two, the rage train would tell me to clean up! ;) (but i use mine for all kinds of things that don't dissolve in soapy water! and the PBW soak i gave them sure didn't help! now i know why they say don't use PBW on glass!)

i hope i never have to post a pic of mine! i know if i ever posted a pic of my two, the rage train would tell me to clean up! ;) (but i use mine for all kinds of things that don't dissolve in soapy water! and the PBW soak i gave them sure didn't help! now i know why they say don't use PBW on glass!)
I did not know PBW was not good on glass, I dont use that but do use oxiclean and it seems to work fine for bottles. Only issues I have noticed is if I use too much it leave a residue that is takes extra rinses to get off.

I did not know PBW was not good on glass, I dont use that but do use oxiclean and it seems to work fine for bottles. Only issues I have noticed is if I use too much it leave a residue that is takes extra rinses to get off.

Yeah, this is my experience too; I use pbw on a glass carboy I have and glass bottles and have no issues.

Yeah, this is my experience too; I use pbw on a glass carboy I have and glass bottles and have no issues.

i don't know, maybe i'll try pbw again...maybe it's just because i was trying to wash a sink load of dirty dishes in a storage tote.....figured f it, why not use pbw.....

i think i'll fill them up with some hot water and toss in a tsp of pbw, but i'm not holding out hope! :mug:

i don't know, maybe i'll try pbw again...maybe it's just because i was trying to wash a sink load of dirty dishes in a storage tote.....figured f it, why not use pbw.....

i think i'll fill them up with some hot water and toss in a tsp of pbw, but i'm not holding out hope! :mug:

Yeah, I don't have any advice to give but it would be just as you said some pbw and warm water and let it soak then run a brush through it. If it's something like beer stone then you may need another approach.

I soak dirty beer bottles in pbw/water then use a bottle brush and it works Everytime if they are that dirty but rarely are.

My carboy I put on my kegwasher and have water mixed with pbw jetting in to the carboy and it cleans it great after fermentation with no brushing.

:bigmug:

Last edited:
Kegged a NEIPA. Due to a more lengthy fermentation time than expected I couldn’t leg before thanksgiving so dry hopped it at 52-53 last Monday/Tuesday and let it ride at 52 until Saturday when I returned from thanksgiving to cold crash to 38. Don’t think there’s any adverse effects for letting it sit on hops a few days longer than normal for me. Happy with this one. Columbus/Galaxy combo with cosmic punch yeast. - 7.9% abv. Galaxy always seems to really brighten these beers up.

80698F26-98DC-4074-B007-FDA90536DA95.jpeg
38EB4FC3-2ED3-4B95-8033-24E369CF180B.jpeg
7FD125B0-D645-40BD-B8F8-D1FDAD33D6D8.jpeg

View attachment 750612

That‘s some clear wort!

I bought another SS Brewbucket, 7 gal, Brewmaster edition. Got it on sale at MoreBeer (probably available elsewhere), and glad to add it to my collection. I have a collection of fermenters, including other SS equipment, Fermonsters, and Speidels, and these Brewbuckets are the best in my book!

Not really for beer, but more for HBT. Moved into my new office this morning, with a huge desk and nobody else in the room, and a very lax internet policy so I can be on here during the day (boss approved) as long as I get my work done too. Oh boy....
Welcome to the HBT daytime crowd! :mug:

Not really for beer, but more for HBT. Moved into my new office this morning, with a huge desk and nobody else in the room, and a very lax internet policy so I can be on here during the day (boss approved) as long as I get my work done too. Oh boy....

better be careful, reminds me of an old episode of the simpsons where homer was recruited by a super villian! ;) :mug: lol

all i did this morning was listen to my fermenter bubbling slow down to about a bubble every minute....think i'll let it go another day! but it was a really emotion decision... :mug:

Rearranged my brewery a bit to accomodate the steel work table I scored a month, or so, ago. I set it up as a milling station, but it’s large enough to have additional uses. It’s 30”X48”x32” tall. The stencil under the top reads “Property of USPS”, so it apparently came out of a postal facility somewhere.
B2E447D2-2170-42C0-9652-794B2F811131.jpeg

C9E4F285-E599-471C-857D-ED4D1A9FEF83.jpeg

Rearranged my brewery a bit to accomodate the steel work table I scored a month, or so, ago. I set it up as a milling station, but it’s large enough to have additional uses. It’s 30”X48”x32” tall. The stencil under the top reads “Property of USPS”, so it apparently came out of a postal facility somewhere.
View attachment 750754
View attachment 750755

i swear that storage tote got bigger in the second photo, and i hope the postal inspector never comes to your house! lol :mug:

Went to a "Off Beer Flavor Workshop" at the LHBS last night. Intentionally tainting beer with some awful flavors was pretty dang interesting. There were 13 of us there, almost all home brewers on some level, 2 were studying for Cicerone exam.

Last 'taster' of the night was mixing everything together just for fun. That...was truly awful. Thankfully, we were given a taster good beer off of their taps to finish out the night.

oh BTW i tried just a tsp of faux PBW....it did clean them up a lot.. maybe i just used too much before?

Busy day working for beer, check gravity on my best bitter and raised it's temp. Watch a wlp007 starter spin, finally started flocking when I wasn't looking. Mailed a bunch of labels back to white labs for a couple free tubes of yeasts. Carried a big box of misc. grain from the porch to the garage, now I have my crystal malts all stocked up.

i love having a bunch of crystal on hand....just be able to say WTF, a bit of this a bit of that...get something that i like!
It was mostly British crystal; carastan, 50/60, 70/80, 135/165. I did get some melanoidin, abbey and caramunich plus vienna and dark munich.

I like to have a good mix of grain on hand to brew what sounds goods. Some is targeted at specific beers though, I plan to brew @kmarkstevens Machine Room Dark Mild Clong and a Alt beer.

Almost half way done with my starter for my first ever lager, will be doing a Baltic Porter next weekend(hopefully).

Just brewed a Baltic Porter last night. First lager as well. Probably should have picked a simpler lager to start with, but I love the flavor of a Baltic, and it's hard to find them where I live! Nothing like a trial by fire!

Found out last night that our sort-of brew club (just some bowling friends) is having our first Group Brewday since the pandemic nonsense began, next Saturday! Time to put together everything to take the brewery on the road again. Planning a Wookey Jack clone for the beer, and some tasty snacks and homebrew to bring along. These events only happen once or twice a year, and each one is a blast. Can't wait!

Back