What I did for beer today

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Won't some PBW clean that up ?

not a bad idea actually, but i'd need one hell of a big bucket/storage tote, to fit my whole stove top to soak in.....:mug: hmmm i do have a garden hose thingy, i could make a concentrated solution, and let it gently spray slowly? Thanks for the idea!, i just may try it! just like grab a rubber band to hold the trigger, put it on wide angle, set the shut off the a trickle and let it spray on it for a couple hours.... :bigmug:

not a bad idea actually, but i'd need one hell of a big bucket/storage tote, to fit my whole stove top to soak in.....:mug: hmmm i do have a garden hose thingy, i could make a concentrated solution, and let it gently spray slowly? Thanks for the idea!, i just may try it! just like grab a rubber band to hold the trigger, put it on wide angle, set the shut off the a trickle and let it spray on it for a couple hours.... :bigmug:
Just make a wet paste of PBW and water and let it soak for awhile. Even a paste of BKF might work.

well i took @seanjwalker1 's advice and gave my stove top a soak with a towel and a bunch of homemade PBW....let it sit over night.....not a bad suggestion, but it didn't just slide off, but with the help of 10 minutes of scrubbing with a wire brush this is where i'm at now! anyone have a way to scrub or scrape without damaging the enamel further?

1631900801779.png

(looking at that, think after posting this i'll drop those burners in a bucket of PBW! ;) pretty sure it will work as intended for them... and a big thanks sean! :mug:)

well i took @seanjwalker1 's advice and gave my stove top a soak with a towel and a bunch of homemade PBW....let it sit over night.....not a bad suggestion, but it didn't just slide off, but with the help of 10 minutes of scrubbing with a wire brush this is where i'm at now! anyone have a way to scrub or scrape without damaging the enamel further?

View attachment 742675

(looking at that, think after posting this i'll drop those burners in a bucket of PBW! ;) pretty sure it will work as intended for them... and a big thanks sean! :mug:)
Get yourself a can of this stuff. It's like flippin' magic. When we sold our previous house, I bought a can to touch-up some rust/scrapes on the washing machine, and I couldn't believe how well it worked.

i don't know what a magic eraser actually is, but if a wire brush and the scraper on it didn't get it....don't know? but thanks for the thought! now i'm thinking razor paint scraper! :mug:

A 'Mr. Clean' product available in the grocery store. A white sponge-like pad. Wet in water, it'll cut through a lot of stuff. It's magic, I don't ask further questions.

. It's magic, I don't ask further questions.

along those lines, thanks for the paint scraper idea! worked AWESOME! here's old trusty now! almost just like new, lol ;)

(the burners and grates are soaking in hot PBW water right now. but this is what i'm doing for beer today! getting ready for sunday brew day!)

1631902510651.png

In keeping with the hijacking of this thread into Let's All Get Bracc's Stovetop Clean, I too swear by the Magic Erasers. If you have formica countertops they are the shiznit. Rust rings, really stuck on sticky stuff, juice stains, everything just magically disappears. And they do work great on enamel stovetops. Next I'm gonna try one on my old SUV's headlight lenses.

Hijack over....pulled the PRV again on my second batch of Blonde on kveik, so I can let my lager alone and have some next week when I get the scoresheets from the competition it's in. Later I'll mill the grain for tomorrow's batch of house lager, and work on the recipe for an Oktoberfest (okay no I'm not in Germany, a festbier, happy?) I'm thinking of brewing on Sunday before the football craziness commences.

Let's All Get Bracc's Stovetop Clean

no need to give me a hard time about it. it was something i was doing for beer, and it just happened to be a slow progression over two days.....

And now that my stove top is clean, i need to get my last sunday's batch kegged and carbed because i'm thinking this keg is going to kick soon.....

i'm excited to try this one, i used yeast from a $30 500g brick of wine yeast that says it's beer yeast, or cerveasia(sp?) should be interesting!

Today I did the unthinkable and "retired" 3 kegs.
Having too many promotes lazy cleaning and some have idiosyncrasies, up with which I am tired of putting.
I really only "need" 9 (Apfelwein, Root Beer, 2 in keezer, 2 waiting to go in keezer, 1 to ferment in, and at most 1 or 2 waiting to be cleaned).
I have 17.

Just explain to me why I feel the white hot need to save all posts, dip tubes and lids before tossing the carcasses.

Was going to head to costco to try to find one of those Paulaner Oktoberfest special editions when the wife mentioned she had a $50 BevMo gift card from work that she wasn't going to use. Didn't get the special edition but did get some future recipe inspiration.

View attachment 742316
That's a party in a box right there!

Meanwhile, I sampled test bottle 2 of the Galaxy SMaSHer. Carbed nicely, small head but good retention, which surprises me becuz there's naught in there but Breiss 2-row and the hops.

Very citrusy/grapefruity finish -- refreshing, light (in body and color), moderate in alcohol (6.4%), and warms up nicely without getting impolite. Looks like a good summer ale for a warm afternoon over the grill.

Last edited:
View attachment 742795
got my beer engine finished. mini fridge below with 2gallon keg at 54 degrees. low volume of CO2. Came out as I planned. Bourbon Barrel Stout now being served.
That looks awesome! Is that a real beer engine or some kind of work around? I want to do a workaround as my thanksgiving or xmas project this year, so please ping me if you don't mind about your set up

Double brew day for me today. I did a 2.5gal batch of best bitter full volume no sparge then added more grain to the mashtun and did my normal fast fly sparge for a 5gal batch of golden ale. Not sure it saved much time or grain, maybe a little of each. This was the first time doing it and did not messing anything up so might try it again.

The Golden ale is sort of experiment to see if I can get any orange flavors from Voss. I only did a bittering hop addition at 60min with magnum and going to ferment it hot with only 2 Teaspoons of slurry.

Double brew day for me today. I did a 2.5gal batch of best bitter full volume no sparge then added more grain to the mashtun and did my normal fast fly sparge for a 5gal batch of golden ale. Not sure it saved much time or grain, maybe a little of each. This was the first time doing it and did not messing anything up so might try it again.

The Golden ale is sort of experiment to see if I can get any orange flavors from Voss. I only did a bittering hop addition at 60min with magnum and going to ferment it hot with only 2 Teaspoons of slurry.

sounds interesting, because i have no idea what you just said you did? lol, so you did a no sparge and a second batch without cleaning the mash tun? :mug:

sounds interesting, because i have no idea what you just said you did? lol, so you did a no sparge and a second batch without cleaning the mash tun? :mug:
seems like you got it. Yes

Was looking to speed up the process to get two brews done. Normally I do a fly sparge which takes about 40mins to drain(maybe 20 or 25min for a half size batch) which is sort of fast for fly sparging. A full volume sparge leaves some sugar behind but can drain really fast. Adding more grain on top of the first batch in the mashtun reclaimed the normally lost sugar of a full volume no sparge.

That looks awesome! Is that a real beer engine or some kind of work around? I want to do a workaround as my thanksgiving or xmas project this year, so please ping me if you don't mind about your set up
The pump is made by Harry Mason UK, so the real deal. Beer is kept at 54 degrees in a mini fridge in cabinet below. 1.75 gal keg with low CO2 volume to keep fresh. The key is a check valve underneath that keeps beer or air from going back in keg.

Back