What I did for beer today

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Maybe it's the lighting, but that starter wort looks really dark. What did you make it with?
Munton's Dark DME. It's what I had on hand. Maybe I should have used a light DME for a double IPA? I just started brewing three or four months ago, so I'm still sorting things out.

I'm not going to pitch the whole flask; I'll decant most of the liquid, swirl, and pitch the yeast.

Munton's Dark DME. It's what I had on hand. Maybe I should have used a light DME for a double IPA? I just started brewing three or four months ago, so I'm still sorting things out.

I'm not going to pitch the whole flask; I'll decant most of the liquid, swirl, and pitch the yeast.

And besides color, another reason to use light DME is fermentability, i.e. you'll get more cell growth with lighter extract because it has a higher proportion of fermentable sugars.

Moved the xmas dubbel upstairs to warm it up a bit for a few days before bottling it. That reminds me... I have to clean out a bunch of 750 ml bottles and dig out the floor corker...

Finished all the sanding on my paddle and put my finishing touch on it.
20201021_211212.jpg20201021_211227.jpg

Sipping on some homebrew while I ponder on this year's Holiday Ale recipe. Planning on bottling the whole batch this year so I need to get going on it in the next two weeks. I've done the last three years Holiday Ale with an american strong base beer while playing with the spice additions. This year I might add a touch of chocolate malt with some flaked barley to up the mouthfeel, and up the spice additions to a full 22oz bottle filled with capn morgan rum and a TON of spice, this year to include our usual cinnamon, nutmeg, allspice, pumpkin pie spice, and what I have left of dried orange peel. This year going for something close to Old Fezziwig but with a knock-your-ugly-holiday-socks-off spice kick, just for the heck of it. Also too much fun to sit here and think about it. Also want to amaze my perfect sister who never fails to find a holiday ale at the local store to challenge my brewing skills.
Been kicking around a Fezziweg recipe in my head myself. Last 3 year's have been spiced porters and brown ales. Want something lighter and closer to Sam Adams Fezzi this year.

Brewed my house tripel, lower in OG as I want to add brett at secondary but keeping the same ABV, the brewday went great and now I need to wait for the yeast to start, last time it took 5 days to start and it nearly blew the lid, this time I'm ready, clear bucket to watch on the krausen, and lid sealed with tape, obvs blow off tube added too

IMG_20201023_143155.jpg

Kegged off my three-week-old Cascade APA that I started crashing last week; first taste of it last week wasn't what I wanted, so I just left it to crash this week while I did other things (while in the back of my mind I was thinking oh sh*t, this might be a dumper). Finally decided to keg it tonight (need the fermenter tomorrow) and very pleased with the flavor; initial taste last week had a slight off-flavor (may have been overworked yeast) that wasn't pleasant, tonight it tasted like I wanted it to. Although the yeast was fresh Notty I trashed it, just to be on the safe side. Also exchanged a propane tank, and working myself up to milling the grain for tomorrow's Holiday Ale. Just haven't been feeling the "brew bug" the last two weeks (amazing!!) but tonight I'm getting pumped for what should be an epic brewday tomorrow. Decided against adding some chocolate to the grain bill, going to use about 1/2lb of well-aged homeroasted crystal instead; it gives a nice roasty flavor that should mix well with all the spices I intend to throw at this one. TL:DR but I can't wait for this one.

Brewing a dunkelweizen for our Homebrew 25 Days of Christmas beer swap we're going to do. 25 different members are dropping off a case and then they're going to sort them where everyone gets one different beer for everyday. I'm doing 1lb of cacao nibs in secondary for a Xmas spin on it!
20201024_124304.jpg
20201024_135824.jpg
20201024_135126.jpg

Well, so far today, I’m brewing some, drinking some, and it’s not even 3 PM yet, so who knows what beer-related adventures lie ahead.

Actually, what lies ahead is, probably, falling asleep in the recliner after supper. But, I can imagine that I’ve returned, once more, to those thrilling days of yesteryear, right?

First time using the New-to-Me SS Brewtech 10G Mash Tun. Next time, I'll need about 5F more on the strike water, but I think this DIPA will turn out dry and hoppy after a 2-hour mash.
New SS Bretwech Mash Tun 10252020.JPG

Prepped grain, water, and hops for tomorrow's brew day. A Citra-Mosaic DIPA. Tasted the Red Rye, and it is amazing.
My Last IPA I brewed was a Citra-Mosaic, just a single. Was suppose to be a west coast version but somehow came out pretty hazy. I have some rye that has lingering care to share the red Rye recipe?

My Last IPA I brewed was a Citra-Mosaic, just a single. Was suppose to be a west coast version but somehow came out pretty hazy. I have some rye that has lingering care to share the red Rye recipe?

Title: Red Rye at Night
Author: Reevesie

Brew Method: All Grain
Style Name: Specialty IPA: Red IPA
Boil Time: 60 min
Batch Size: 5.5 gallons (fermentor volume)
Boil Size: 6.75 gallons
Boil Gravity: 1.049
Efficiency: 82% (brew house)

STATS:
Original Gravity: 1.060
Final Gravity: 1.014
ABV (standard): 6.07%
IBU (tinseth): 69.01
SRM (morey): 16.04
Mash pH: 5.48

FERMENTABLES:
5 lb - Maris Otter Pale Ale (46.5%)
1 lb - Munich - Dark 20L (9.3%)
12 oz - Caramel / Crystal 120L (7%)
4 oz - CaraMunich (2.3%)
4 oz - Special B (2.3%)
1.5 lb - Flaked Rye (14%)
1 lb - Rye (9.3%)
1 lb - Dry Malt Extract - Light (9.3%)

HOPS:
1 oz - Chinook (13 AA), Type: Pellet, AA: 12, Use: Boil for 60 min, IBU: 41.75
1 oz - Chinook (13 AA), Type: Pellet, AA: 12, Use: Boil for 15 min, IBU: 20.72
1 oz - Chinook (13 AA), Type: Pellet, AA: 12, Use: Whirlpool for 0 min at 190 °F, IBU: 6.54
2 oz - Chinook (13 AA), Type: Pellet, AA: 12, Use: Dry Hop for 3-7 days

MASH GUIDELINES:
1) Strike, Temp: 165 F, Time: 60 min, Amount: 4 gal, Mash-152F
2) Sparge, Temp: 170 F, Time: 10 min, Amount: 3.25 gal, Sparge 152F

OTHER INGREDIENTS:
5 each - FermCapS, Time: 3600 min, Type: Water Agt, Use: Boil
0.5 tsp - Irish Moss, Time: 15 min, Type: Fining, Use: Boil
2.5 tsp - Yeast Nutrient, Time: 15 min, Type: Other, Use: Boil

YEAST:
White Labs - Dry English Ale Yeast WLP007
Starter: Yes

MASH:
Added 1/4 tsp. (1g.) CaSO4
Added 1/2 tsp. (2g.) CaCl

**Note** I got better sugar extraction last time with a 90 minute mash, so I would recommend 90-120 minute mash instead of adding extract.

Not the best pic, I finished brewing in the rain and rewarded myself with sitting and watching football.
IMG_8594.JPG

Yesterday brewed an IPA and made space in a Keg for my Lutra Helles.

Was going to keg the helles today but got lazy, watched bubbles for while instead. Also entered @JAReeves red rye at night IPA into beersmith and did some playing around to see if I had enough grain on hand close enough to brew it. Got pretty close but wont be brewing for a little while so will get some 20L munich and crystal120.

You going to do 20gal of the same kind or mixed, also how many of those to get enough yeast?

I'll be doing a Julius clone followed by a Juicy Bits clone. That 5.something liter starter should yield enough yeast to pitch 11 gallons of the Julius at 1M cells/ml/°P plus have another 100B cells for the next starter for the 11 gallons of Juicy Bits...

Cheers!

Took some of the spent grains from yesterday’s brew and combined them with peanut butter, eggs, and flour. From here I roll them out, cut out doggie treats with a cookie cutter, and bake. Just based on how it smells already I’m questioning if it technically HAS to be only for the dogs... lol
E1E168C4-BAA5-46CB-884A-C19014830B10.jpeg

Yesterday brewed an IPA and made space in a Keg for my Lutra Helles.

Was going to keg the helles today but got lazy, watched bubbles for while instead. Also entered @JAReeves red rye at night IPA into beersmith and did some playing around to see if I had enough grain on hand close enough to brew it. Got pretty close but wont be brewing for a little while so will get some 20L munich and crystal120.

Sometimes I use honey as the priming sugar, gives it a residual sweetness that some folks like. I'm letting it cool and age for a few days before I share it with the masses; I think it starts to be good at 3-4 weeks after brewday.

Latest posts

Back