What I did for beer today

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Cleaned and purged a keg with CO2, kegged a Pale Ale, harvested the yeast, and cleaned the fermenter in prep for a Friday brewday.

Took a gravity reading off my GoodWood Strongale, looking at 7,2%. then added 200g of roasted juniper pieces to the fermentor for another ten days. Had a small sample and you can definitely taste the licqourice from the muscovado syrup in there. This should be good.

Finished my new beer tap. Next up is to redo the collar.

IMG_20190530_215327_02.jpeg

Took a half day from work to run to LHBS and get grain for this weekend, also a new mash bag; old one (in use for 2+ years) has a couple of snaggy holes in it and needs to be semi-retired. Will now use it for late leaf hop additions. Got the grain milled for tomorrow's brew, and will happily send the husband off to his golf weekend in Chelan tomorrow morning, leaving me with nothing to do but brew.

I am going to pitch yeast into my white wine juice and throw it in the basement for a few months.

lol, funny you should say that...i was going to ask, if i can add i kegged some cider, because out of desperation to get my pipe line back up to my 6 kegs, i've broke down and started having 10 gals of apple juice delivered to my door......

i'm sitting here after a nap, thinking i need a cup of coffee. that way i'll have the energy to put my now dry barley sprouts in the oven to kiln.

That way, i'll be able to brew tomorrow for $8...instead of having to blow another $32 on apple juice.....(damn, i still gotta clean my toasted wheat malt too! yikes...)

Kicked the stout (with some effort), cleaned the line, kegged and tapped the smoked porter.

Changed the gas out dip tube on the keg I put the Dunkelweizen in yesterday.

I ended up with a bit over 5 gal in the keg. It didn't occur to me to check if that keg had a long or short tube. When I connected the gas to the keg, to make sure the lid was sealed, I got a splash of beer in the gas line.

I left it as it was, but realized that I probably shouldn't tap the keg with beer in the gas line so today I got the keg out of the cellar, took it to the utility room where there is a floor drain, and depressurized the keg (losing about a cup of beer on the process) and swapped out the long tube for a short one from and empty keg.

Moral of the story-If you know you're gonna fill a keg to the top, check yer dip tube. :cool:

It’s been 6 long months, but I finally got the chance to brew again, with grain I bought back in February. 5.5 Gallons of centennial blonde fermenting happily away!

Tasted my wild fermented Torrance, CA sour made with homegrown Muscat grapes and it’s ready to bottle this week. Time to make another beer label. Then I get to brew some replacement wort and keep the solera going.

Looking to transfer my other wild culture (Burbank, CA) onto some as yet undecided fruit(s).

Going to brew my Red Rye as soon as the blonde is bottled.

I bet my LHBS owner thought I died or moved....

Made a starter for a blonde ale. I was going to overbuild enough to harvest 4b cells into 4 mason jars, but apparently I didn't have as much dme as I thought so I'm only going to be able to harvest 1b. I'll probably do a second generation harvest from that next time.

well it was actually cider...but damn, i siphoned a couple kegs and....they were heavy, had to carry em in both hands about 6 feet to the fridge...then had to lift the s.o.b.'s, put them in the fridge and hunker down and get a cramp, reaching into the fridge to hook up the co2....rough day, i need another drink! lol :D

@pshankstar your post just motivated me to plant a couple sterling rhizomes I have. An HBTer had given me some cascade which wasn’t healthy looking once dug up this early spring. I had planted 4 pieces of rhizome that felt firm, but haven’t seen any signs of growth, until I started digging up the spot for the sterling. Sterling will get started in pots now. :)

Today was cleaning day :(
- I cleaned my 3v2p single tier herms including tearing down both pumps and all of the wort-side valves.
- Then I took everything out of my 6 tap keezer, hooked up my six-line cleaning rig with some warm BLC mix and let that recirculate while I cleaned three kegs.
- After the kegs were cleaned and pressure checked it was back to the keezer: ran the rinse cycle on the lines and faucets, then took all of the Perls apart and replaced all of the O-rings.
- Finally I wet-wiped (with a light bleach solution) all of the beer lines, gas lines, disconnects, and the myriad of wires to flow meters and temperature sensors to get rid of any incipient mold problem before we head into the damp days here.

That entire "had to be done" pita took the whole day :drunk:

Cheers!

@pshankstar your post just motivated me to plant a couple sterling rhizomes I have. An HBTer had given me some cascade which wasn’t healthy looking once dug up this early spring. I had planted 4 pieces of rhizome that felt firm, but haven’t seen any signs of growth, until I started digging up the spot for the sterling. Sterling will get started in pots now. :)

Glad I could help! [emoji6]
I had some Centennials growing tall but they never got above 6ft tall and would only produce a few cones. I dug them up this spring and a friend asked if he could have them. So they went to a good home. I planted some Comets (from Great Lakes) in those holes with some fresh compost and planting soil. They are tiny and one I don’t think will make it. The other two are doing ok but not looking great. I’ll give them three years like the Centennials before I give up.

Moved a keg from the Lager fridge to the service fridge and closed transferred a Pale Ale from fermenter to keg headed to the Lager fridge

View attachment 628277
Put the lager I brewed yesterday and pitched last night in the fridge for primary fermenting (in Corny Keg). Getting crowded in there!

I dig the Buc-ee's stickers! Gotta make sure you keep brewin' to feed the beavers!

Today (really a week ago) I cracked open my Moose Drool clone and was actually bold enough to share it with the family at my nephew's HS graduation (not with the nephew, though). It received good feedback, so I must be doing something right! It was only my fourth brew.

I dig the Buc-ee's stickers! Gotta make sure you keep brewin' to feed the beavers!

Today (really a week ago) I cracked open my Moose Drool clone and was actually bold enough to share it with the family at my nephew's HS graduation (not with the nephew, though). It received good feedback, so I must be doing something right! It was only my fourth brew.

I brewed an extract called Caribou Slobber which was amazing! Did you do a full grain of this? If so would be interested in the recipe if you care to share :)

I brewed an extract called Caribou Slobber which was amazing! Did you do a full grain of this? If so would be interested in the recipe if you care to share :)
Well it actually was Caribou Slobber, the all-grain version from Norther Brewer. I modified the 5-gallon recipe to a 3-gallon recipe so I could do it via the BIAB method. Here is what I used:

5.4lbs Rahr 2-row
.45lbs Briess Caramel 60
.30lbs Briess Caramel 80
.15lbs Pale Chocolate (I actually forgot to include this in my mash)
.6oz Golding for 60mins
.6oz Liberty for 30 mins
.6oz Willamette for 15 mins (Just FYI for you brewers not from the PNW out there, it's pronounced Will-Am-It)
Wyeast 1332 Northwest Ale

How does this work for your efficiency, possible overnight souring, or other variables? If I could do this, I might make more beer.
I use BIAB so take this for what it's worth, but I've set up the mash in the morning, gone out for family time all day, and done the boil in the late afternoon with no issue.

I age it a minimum of 7 days. Then package it in large Utz Sourdough Pretzel Jars. They each hold five pounds.

This photo is pistachio smoked malt. I used the shells. The smoke is mild. Kinda nutty taste wise. This batch is from last July. I used two lbs of it. I should use it all soon before that smoke flavor fades. It still smells pretty good. It would be really mellow now.. Would be nice in a mild or an Altbier. View attachment 628963
[emoji16]that's a first I've heard of pistachio!

I found out about this on the Dante's Devine Website that one could use pistachio shells. I've also used peanut shells too. Both make a nice mellow nutty tasting smoke.

There's a lot here I have not tried. Check it out.

http://www.dantesdevine.com/pages/Smoking-Woods.html
I will thanks! Only smoked I've ever had is Schlenkerla, their beechwood and hickory. I love pistachio and sounds interesting. I can't imagine though you are getting much of a pistachio flavor without using the actual nuts??

Back