What I did for beer today

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
A couple days late, but was generously given another carboy full of wort from my local brewery for free last Sunday. He added more grain than he intended to, so it's going to be quite strong for the style (for lack of a better designation, I'm calling it an imperial cream ale). Immediately tried to figure out what to dry hop it with, but most of my hops are already spoken for. So I tweaked a couple recipes to free up some stuff...mostly citra, but a bit of amarillo, and an even smaller bit of sabro. Used mostly amarillo last time and it was notably different from his version.

IMG_1780.JPG

30 gallon brew pot. I showed beer how much more I wanted it around today.

More Beer! More Beer!

Hell I need to go get some Fear cds rolling.

Tapped my latest lager which was the first I've done with grain I milled myself. Sipping on it now, needs some more time in the keg but very tasty. Got lagered in the carboy for 2 weeks which I think did it a world of good. Still tastes a bit too fresh but we've got other kegs to work on so it can sit a few more weeks. Oh yeah getting a bit tipsy tonight.

LHBS run to pick up ingredients for Sunday's saison. Will make up the starter tonight so I can harvest some yeast to keep.

Also will be making some lime hard water and sampling my carbonated beet kvass. Might bottle up a kombucha batch as well depending on my ambition.

Milled the grain for tomorrow's snow brew day, a nice Centennial/Cascade blonde that is way past due for being brewed. Been dumping since about 1pm and hasn't stopped yet. And remembered yesterday to drag the garden hose into the garage so it's not frozen when it comes time for chilling. Tonight watching the snow fall while sipping on some really good lager and APA. Should note here I'm 51 years old and still get excited like a 9 year old when snow is in the forecast. Yes it's horrible to drive in but it's pretty.

Going to get my grain bill together for my saison. Can't get it ground until next week because my lhbs will be closed as the owners are on vacation.

Another reason to get my own mill.

Below link is the one I got. Fairly priced and a little workhorse. Only holds 7lbs of grain in the hopper but that's not an issue for me. Been having a lot of fun with it.

*link deleted because dumba** me realized my info was in it*

Last edited:
Going to get my grain bill together for my saison. Can't get it ground until next week because my lhbs will be closed as the owners are on vacation.

Another reason to get my own mill.
Luckily for me, my home brew store has a grain mill, just go from scale into grain bucket

Busy day: kicked the altbier, so I cleaned the keg and the tap line it was on. Kegged my first wild fermentation; not too bad all things considered. Very tart up front, but a sweetness after you get acclimated (final gravity was high for a sour, but probably for the best; pH was 3.3). Set a gallon aside to start a gueuze project. Tasted the second wild ale (flanders red style; pH 4.1). Gravity was lower than #1, but taste was awful, using the same yeast - tastes like acetone. Also dry hopped the imperial cream ale - will be interesting to test the gravity - the brewer I got it from said his batch is at 10.2% (!)

Dropped 5oz of Southern Passion Hops into my 7 gallons of NEIPA for 7 days of dryhopping. Also put my new Winter Wheat ale with Blackberry and Cardamon on tap.

I cleaned a bit of white hazy beginnings of beerstone from my stainless fermenter and ran some sanitizer thru the MLT via pump. I’m glad I did because I found a cpl leaks that were quickly repaired. I assembled my RIMS tube and feel ready to go for tomorrow AM brewday.

Watered and fertilized my comet hop plant that has turned into a beast a little over 10 ft tall now. I think I'm going to have to install another 10 ft piece of wood to let it go down that!

I started my day by bottleing the rest of my bellini(bottleing brut ipas carbed to 21 psi is tough) then i kegged off the newest NEIPA. Its sitting under 21 psi right now. Drank the first draft of my doppel bock. Pretty dang clean for less than a month of lagering. Cleaned the fermenasaurus and 2 kegs. And am currently brewing a batch of rye pale ale. Waiting for the boil to start now.

Brewed my first MilkShake Ipa today. Made my vanilla bean tincture this evening and In 6 days I’ll be adding 1.5lb of peaches 1.5 lb of pineapple, 1lb of mango, and a lb of lactose. Then dryhopping with mosaic, citra, and denali when the secondary fermentation from the fruit is over. The ticture will go in the keg. Really looking forward to the first pint

@Dgallo congrats on the award. This is the first one I’ve brewed and it was at hubby’s request after he sampled one at a fund raiser. I’ve never had one, so I was just working from research. The sample was pretty tasty and a smooth easy drinking beer.

@Dgallo congrats on the award. This is the first one I’ve brewed and it was at hubby’s request after he sampled one at a fund raiser. I’ve never had one, so I was just working from research. The sample was pretty tasty and a smooth easy drinking beer.
Thank you. Congrats on the first one. It’s a fun beer to work with. I love the how the earth/pine tones work the dark grains and then the citrus comes through just to brighten it up.

Added the dry hop (1oz each of Centennial and Crystal) to my Brut IPA that I brewed last weekend. Sorely tempted to take a sample but restrained myself. 5 days in and krausen is dropping but still very cloudy and ferment fridge smells like a sulfur mine. Going to take a taste of it on Saturday and decide then if more dry hops are needed (Chinook? or maybe more Centennial?) or crash and keg. Have a conception in my mind of what I want it to be, and competition is coming up that I might get to enter it in. Other than that, housecleaning because Maui in two weeks and don't want the housesitter to be disgusted by my dirty house.

Back