What I did for beer today

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Bought some compression fittings to turn my IC into a...don't know what it's called....thing that goes in the ice and the wort flows through it instead of running cold water through while it's in the wort. Tested it just now, need to use some thread tape but it worked. Can't wait for next brew day, must remember to get 4 bags of ice. Should cut down my chill time considerably!! Saving up for a plate chiller; once I have it the IC will be repurposed to go in the mash tun to help control mash temp.

Cleaned up a fermenter and it's surroundings that should have had a blowoff tube from the beginning. Then placed a blowoff tube in place of the airlock.

"I am not a gambling man, but when I do, its with my home brews. Stay thirsty my friend." Yes I said that b/c I'm always kicking myself for not installing a blowoff tube from the get go... haha

IMG_8568.jpg

WaterAdjustment4.jpg

Published a new (long overdue) step by step guide on WATER ADJUSTMENT.

See: http://www.theelectricbrewery.com/water-adjustment

There are far too many complex guides (and books) out there that I find are overly confusing or gloss over the actual "how to" parts and only present complex theory. My guide attempts to fix all that. No Chemistry at all, no complex math. Just what to do when, and why, to correctly adjust your water to target any style of beer imaginable.

Want to brew a delicate Kölsch, a hoppy American IPA, a British Bitter, or the latest New England IPA? This guide will give you the target numbers and show you step by step how to get there with the water you have today.

Cheers!

Kal

But what if I'm an analytical chemistry student going for his doctorate... ;)
Then after you read the guide you can follow up on the extra reading material mentioned (aka: The 'Water' book). ;)

P.S. Nice grain mill enclosure!

Kal

Ordered ingredients for my Blueberry Cream Ale yesterday. Shipped yesterday should be here tomorrow, love that quick shipping from morebeer!

Building a starter of Belle Saison to use Sunday. I am brewing a memorial beer for a cat of mine that died last month. Her name was Macey.

Also scrubbing the crap outta my big mouth bubbles.

Heading to Home Depot after work to buy some propane fittings for the brew stand that's being built for me by a friend. All that's left to do after that is get the darn thing home...will post pics once I get it. Has room for 2 keggles and my mash tun, and room underneath to mount the pumps and the (future) plate chiller. Will also be able to mount a control panel on the handle. Very heavy, with wheels I can lock to keep my beer from rolling down the driveway. Can't wait for first brew on that baby!

Hit target mash pH. My buddy from the club supplied a generous pitch of 029 from his 5 gal kolsch batch. should work perfectly in this 11gal, 1.048 blond ale!

IMG_1215.jpg

IMG_1218.jpg

IMG_1219.jpg

IMG_1224.jpg

IMG_1222.jpg

Milled grains, weighed hops and water additions, loaded supplies into my bucket I carry out to the garage(some of my kitchen stuff like a quart measuring cup, Thermapen etc). So all I have to do tomorrow is add water to kettles and bring to temp.

Brewed my Amber Stout. Then worked on kegerator to fit two more kegs. Realized I probably have less beer than I thought. Cleaned extra keg for tomorrow.

Moved my ying and yang Sorachi Ace beers in to secondary and the lovely dry hop Magic begins! One with white sugar one with brown sugar!
img_0507.jpg

Bought 55# of pale malt (Swaen). I liked this brand when I used it last year. Could have purchased Avangard brand which I have also used before.

Brewed 11 gallons of sour saison. Now fruiting a sour base I was gonna toss out but tasted it one last time and decided to add pineapple and mango. Amazing how these guys develop and change over 16months

kegged my green flash west coast ipa clone and cleaned the carboys. cleaned an old keg from the keezer to make room for the green flash. made a starter for my next brew, a belgian wit.

Cut some gas lines. Still need to reorganize my kegerator lines. Getting there. Kegged a Batch 19 clone.

Primary fermentation is starting so I am controlling temperature just a ice bottle in the water bath. In 10 hrs probably one more.:D

Not today, but yesterday: planted 4 blueberry bushes, 4 lingonberry plants, and 10 raspberry canes. The harvests should each eventually find their way into a beer. Celebrated with my last bottle of my 2016 Raspberry Brett Ale.
:tank:

18193271_10211068020189190_3903669905047629640_o.jpg

Gathered a whole bunch of bottles from everywhere around the house for a weekend equipment wash-a-ton, think I got well over 200 bottles... also put two DIPAs in the fridge for a sample, doubt they're anywhere near ready yet though...

I'm brewing a cream ale. After over a full calendar year of doing graduate work and other stuff, I've forced myself to make time for my two hobbies: homebrewing and backpacking. Last week I brewed a one hop IPA.

Back