What I did for beer today

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Bottled my Wheatish tropical ipa got 53 12oz bottles and 3 bombers I'm excited for this one to be carbed

checked fermentation on a batch of Moonshine Malt Liquor, worked on a DIY stir plate, ordered magnets, and drank a wonderful Stillwater Saison Darkly... love that beer.

Cleaned two kegs that had kicked. Moved my Evil Twin Red Ale from secondary into two kegs. Cleaned the secondary carboys & transfer equipment used.

Got together with my hot pepper growing son to do the recipe he wants for a ghost chili IIPA. Waiting for my ESB to finish fermenting. Gotta get started on the Kottbusser. Got a couple more beers to brew again to include in HB book 2 before getting started on Anger Red's Hell Fire IIPA...

Got together with my hot pepper growing son to do the recipe he wants for a ghost chili IIPA. Waiting for my ESB to finish fermenting. Gotta get started on the Kottbusser. Got a couple more beers to brew again to include in HB book 2 before getting started on Anger Red's Hell Fire IIPA...

Whoa...ghost chillies. .I had a ballast point habanero sculpin and it was good for one bottle here or there but tooo much heat for me to enjoy more than one or two..good luck on that brew!

Let's see started by pitching lacto in one gallon of beer and belgian sour mix 1 in the other, the one with lacto with will get Brett lambicus in a week or two. Then checked in on my tropical Wheatish ipa and got it started cold crashing then decided to make some spent grain soft pretzels that were amazing

View attachment 247907
View attachment 247908
View attachment 247910

That pretzel looks good! Mind sharing your recipe?

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

Jammed 5.5lbs of strawberries, and 6lbs of rhubarb into one of my 6 gallon plastic carboys, will be transfering a wheat ale (wyeast 1450). Can't wait for this guy to be done, havent done a fruit beer since like, my 2nd batch of beer ever.

Cleaned two kegs that had kicked. Moved my Evil Twin Red Ale from secondary into two legs. Cleaned the secondary carboys & transfer equipment used.

I would assume you got them into the legs by way of the mouth? At least that is what I would have done.

When I get home from work I'm dry hopping a pale lager and testing my RIS's gravity to see if she's done and ready to bottle this weekend. I'll be waxing these bottles ( first time I've waxed bottles).

What I did for beer today? Talked to a bunch of people I've never met about my deepest thoughts concerning my drink of choice. :tank:

put my homemade stir plate together...finally! checked my fermenting beer, and had tasty Buried Hatchet clone to celebrate.

Taped off some volume markings on my big carboy. Gotta go pick up some glass etching cream from the craft store. If it turns out well ill be doing it to all my carboys.

Got all the stuff out to etch my kettle, practiced on the lid.

That, and set up my new Arduino, to flash an STC-1000.

Edit: STC-1000 is now a STC-1000+.

IMG_0932.jpg

IMG_0934.jpg

Due to current living situation (moved into in-laws to save for a house) and the wife just returning to work after maternity leave (can't afford childcare so I mind him on my days off) brewing is pretty difficult at the moment

So with that in mind I need to plan any brews in advance

So today I planned a brew for Tuesday. Shall have house to myself, except for my 8 month old son of course
It will be a black IPA partial I have done before with much success.

Also did a quick test run of my brew belt and STC

Transferred my Honey Wheat into a keg last night. While doing so I had to make an emergency trip to the LHBS. I always swap my in/out connectors so I can purge the oxygen out of the keg by putting gas down the output dip tube. Well when I swapped them back one of the poppits fell into the keg opening. So I needed a new one. I bought a few spares for such a time as this.

Ran a homebrew tasting for my 20 person team at work. Brought in two bombers each of three different brews, complete with labels. Great feedback on the brews - and the labels :)

Plumbed all the fancy SS fittings to the Steelhead pump and Therminator. I've been scared to test run the Therminator because it's been below zero F here, but it's supposed to be in the 40s this weekend, so I'm taking 'er for a spin. That'll give me an opportunity to cut the tubing to the right length and attach the various barbs, etc.

Then I checked the slants I made last weekend. After incubating in a nice warm place for a week, they are totally clear. Microbiologically stable and ready for inoculation with 3068/WLP300 that I'll pick up tomorrow.

Finally got my STC-1000 into a project box after a year and a half of lying around loose in a small plastic bin. It's a bit big and awkward because of the nature of the power outlets I used and the difficulty finding a suitably-sized project box, but it's still nice to have it done.

The closest LHBS to me is closing at the end of the month and is having a clearance sale. I know I'm brewing a DIPA next but I don't have a recipe yet, so I stocked up on hops, yeast, and other odds and ends.

After writing some more of book two of my home brewing series, I started to realize I gotta get busy to finish several brews that'll be included. I've got an ESB finishing up in primary, got the stuff to brew the kottbusser with the other guys in that thread for comparisons & inclusions in the book. Then I have to brew improved PM version of my Whiskely for it as well. Then some Cooper's English Bitter to draw off a gallon to make malt vinegar, also for the book. Then my son & I will be brewing his Anger Red's Hell Fire ghost chili IIPA. I'll be including that one as an example of chili beer's development over time. Since I already discussed Xocolatl from another member of HBT in the first book. Busy busy busyyyy!...:mug:

Cracking my pliney clone..dont know if its close to pliney the elder..but damn its gooooooood

racked Moonshine Malt Liquor to secondary, washed 4 pints of 34-70 yeast from the primary, and had some my Buried Hatchet Clone.

Set up the brew rig just as it would be on a brew day, all so I could see how my mental vision of the kettle/pump/Therminator setup would work.

It doesn't.

Back to the drawing board. I think I have it dialed in now, though. On the bright side, only ONE of the parts I sent back to Bargainfittings.com is a part that I now realize I need.

Brewed a 6 gal AG batch of a Smoked Rye IPA W/ a brew buddy. Used Denny'a Favorite from Wyeast.
Hit all the numbers. Did the entire Brewday including clean up in 4 1/2 hours.

Bottled my Caribou Slobber.

Oh, and I made a sticky mess in the process as usual. Lol

After building my dream 10 gallon AG setup with pump and plate chiller I didn't brew on it for way over year.

Today a Citra PA and I took extra care taking time with my mash tun.

Should be great after some dry hopping and drinking.

I love Beer.

Gotta bottle my Cali Common today. Using the NB priming calculator it states to reach 2.6 volumes of CO2 I would need 1.2 cups of DME to prime. This seems like too much, especially since I've had issues with over carbonation in a few of my recent batches. Think I'll back that down to 1 cup for safety's sake.

Picked up six cases of empties from a bar last night. Washed 2/3, left the other 1/3 soaking. Also, I found 11 half-liters of my last brew hiding in the bottom crate of a stack of empties, just when I thought the pipeline had run dry - score!

Bottling the Imperial Black IPA and whiskey-oaked RIS 1.1 tonight.

Bought a wheat beer for the kids, They are in there 20s and 30s. This will be a first for me my third all grain and first wheat.

Back