What I did for beer today

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I worked on the brew shed

ForumRunner_20120908_235825.jpg built my hop spider

ForumRunner_20120908_235918.jpg
Then modified my sparge bucket (no pic).

I attempted to introduce some craft beer to a person yesterday. I was at the football watch party for the alumni association, and the girl next tome wanted a Bud Lite. The bartender told her they didn't have it on tap (they have a good draft selection). I told her to order the blonde I was drinking. The bartender talked her out of it and into order a Harp.

I let her try my beer, and she liked it better than the Harp.

I bottled a batch of Cowboy Lager :ban: . First time using glass bottles and first time using the dishwasher as a sanitizer. :drunk: I organized my bottle storage area. Finally I created a space in an unused tub for carbing bottles. It stays between 68-74 in there. Should be ok. I hope :tank:

Getting ready to clean, clean, clean because I was too lazy the other day after brewing. I still have another week or so until I brew again, but I really don't want to clean then... So today it is.

Heating the strike water for my milk stout I'm brewing and will be washing the yeast from my California Common during the mash.

Completed a Witbeir from a kit, got it in the Fermentor. Cleaned the kitchen so the wife won't complain. Now putting together my shopping list for a cream ale, maybe something with pumpkin?

Bought 7 cases (20 bottles) each of Grolsch bottles off of CL for s total of $35.

Had dinner at a local pub afterwards where I had a nice conversation with an even nicer barmaid about brewing beer over a Dogfish 90.

Finalized the deal for an Avanti kegerator set up for HB cornies, with an upgraded Johnson controller, CO2 tank, two corny kegs, 60 grolsh bottles, and a 6 gal glass carboy.

$350

Racked the first iteration of what will become my house IPA to a keg and put it on CO2. Also bought a 7cf chest freezer to upgrade my ferm control from swamp coolers to something more precise.

Just broke down a 1lb bag of Cascade pellets into bags of .5oz and 1oz vacuum-sealed bags. Worth the effort!

Checking out my LHBS for the first time. If they ever open. Follow up with purchases later :)

Bought Bottle of Star-Sen
Airlock
More Bottle Caps
1lb of corn syrup
and a can of Brewferm - Diablo

looking forward to trying that one out

Tried really hard to kick a keg. Took delivery of two cornies. Very clean and holding pressure. Ordering rings from McMaster-Carr tonight.

Cleaned kegs
Checked gravity on 2 fermenting brews
Inventory of grain and hops
Placed order for grain and hops
Submitted my recipe for a Pumpkin Ale to the boss and got approved
Picked up spices and pumpkin filling for the pumpkin ale
Emailed the boss the current brew plan
Scratched my head and wondered where I am going to store all this beer because this place has never been so "beer rich" since it opened...yeah I pat myself on the back pretty hard for this one.

Debated on asking for a raise...decided against it today, maybe tomorrow

Installed a couple of new large burners & porceline drip pans on the electric stove & tested them. They heat up way faster & more evenly than the old ones did when new. So to revvy I say,idk if they're canning elements,but they're good & fast. Now that testing is successful,I gotta install a new VSS on the probe & get my grains crushed-again-at the lhbs. Then my 1st partial mash should be a great success.

Kegged half of a 10 gallon batch of BM's Centennial Blonde that I brewed a few weeks ago. Will probably do the other half in the next day or so.

Bottled my Märzen and Thor-Bock#2 after lagering for 9 months. Thor-Bock is a Maibock brewed with a small portion of rye, wheat, and honey, with enebær(juniper) at every hop addition. Very resinous.

Also, set the racking cane to the bottling bucket in the cooler, and the tubing decided to move to the top of the bucket, and spill beer all over the deer trimmings. Shame they're for the dogs, they are probably tastier now.

I bought a 5lb aluminum co2 tank, full, hydro from august 2011, for $40. Slapped a regulator on it and shoved it in my lame kegerator.

Lamer than normal today.

Put bottle of ice in cooler keeping my fermentors cool. Keeping the temp in the low 60's.

Maybe I'll get some bottles to clean and delable from some coworkers today

Instructed the wife on how to fire up the new burner. She will be brewing our iipa tomorrow so it will be ready for when I get back from this month long trip.

Decanted several strains of banked yeast to smaller containers...to make more room to bank more yeast!

Taught a friend how to brew, thats 10 now. Knew nobody that brewed when I started so I had to create my own "homebrew crew". Luckily its easy to get people interested.

jgerard said:
Taught a friend how to brew, thats 10 now. Knew nobody that brewed when I started so I had to create my own "homebrew crew". Luckily its easy to get people interested.

How many of them are still brewing?

Latest posts

Back