What I did for beer today

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
1694048090867.png

i transferred my taller kegs and bottles to my new minikegerator. i got this one to fit my 3.5 liter Amber PET barrel bottle growlers.

Attachments

• 1694048247669.png
    1694048247669.png
    140.9 KB · Views: 0
Brewed the VonLola Imperial Porter just missed my numbers by .01 but that’s not the end of the world. Also dropped the oak spirals in 500ml of Elijah Craig Small Batch and made the vanilla bean tincture.

then the usual clean everything and get it ready for Monday where the Velvet Scoter Vienna Lager will get brewed.

Last edited:
I kegged two beers today.

Both were important beers because they weren't old favorites. Both were beers that pushed my knowledge and I was really on egg shells as to whether they'd come through.

Signs were positive. The helles tasted a lot like a beer that I would like to drink (first helles ever that I can say that about) and the brown stout verified that my new methodology for UK ales works on dark worts.

Looking forward to next friday when I can actually see what they're really made of.

Getting 5 entries for 2 comps ready to ship. Tomorrow I have more beer to bottle, and I checked on my APA and Kolsch. APA still chugging away and Kolsch is lagging -my fault for not making a starter with liquid yeast.
What comps?

Dryhopped my wet hopped cold ipa last night. In boil I used mosaic and Columbus t90, whirlpool I used my homegrown wet hop Columbus and Cascade, and last night I dryhopped with my wet hop cashmere and some mosaic t90 View attachment 828911
You're approaching the singularity point wherein the fermenter is top to bottom hops and the beer is only in between.

You'll need the Blichman FermenFrench Coffee Press attachment then.

You're approaching the singularity point wherein the fermenter is top to bottom hops and the beer is only in between.

You'll need the Blichman FermenFrench Coffee Press attachment then.
I’m hoping cold crashing will drop them too the bottom. 6.5 gallons in the fv hoping to actually yield 5 gallons lol

Interesting way to flavor your escargot...

Meanwhile, I pulled a gravity sample from the Hobyob Ale and it's sitting at 1.016, or 6.04% ABV -- about where I wanted it. Flavor is grainy, wheat apparent, with slight sweetness and slight hoppy finish. I'm looking forward to another week or two in the fermenter to clear some corn out of the aroma and haze from the body.

Last edited:
Racked my fig stout onto some rum-soaked oak chips. All I can taste at this point is a very poweerful bitterness. Hope I didn't go overboard with the hops and it mellows after a couple of months.
Could be the wood chips too. They are very tannin heavy, can def add a bitterness

I think you misunderstood - it just went onto the wood chips today. I tasted the dregs after racking, so no contact with the wood, but maybe I was just tasting a lot of yeast and whatever hop material made it into the fermenter.
Gotcha. I thought you dumped the rum and the wood chips In the beer, like a tincture as the rum would have extracted the tannin from the chips already so you would have tasted it immediately if that happened.

That said if you’re tasting yeasty dregs, it def will come off bitter. I’m sure you’ll be fine after aging on the chips

I thought you dumped the rum and the wood chips In the beer, like a tincture as the rum would have extracted the tannin from the chips already so you would have tasted it immediately if that happened.
Still a real good point even if it's not applicable in this case. Unfortunately, I'm sure I won't remember this when I need to.:no:

Dryhopped my wet hopped cold ipa last night. In boil I used mosaic and Columbus t90, whirlpool I used my homegrown wet hop Columbus and Cascade, and last night I dryhopped with my wet hop cashmere and some mosaic t90 View attachment 828911
Geeze ! Do you like a little beer with your hops ? 😵‍💫. Wanted to tell you, last weekend at this new taphouse they have Von Trapp pilsner and Dunkel ! First time I ever saw it here in Michigan and it's really a decent beer. 🍻

Dry hopped my APA last night and while doing that, the brew jacket rod and sleeve slipped out of the bung … bam into the fermonter. Ef ef ef. Starsan on my hands I reached into grab the unsanitary end which did not touch the beer, rinsed and dried it throughly. I had recently cracked my 3 gallon fmonster so I checked for a leak on this one. Whew, I only felt dampness from condensation. I should probably post this in don’t do that. This should go into a keg today.

Added my Irish Red to the secondary to free up my SSBrewtec for today's brew ..secondary is tem controled via heat pad and SS brewtech cool stix hooked to an inkbird controler and my red neck chiller.

Attachments

• 20230916_101719.jpg
    20230916_101719.jpg
    662.7 KB · Views: 0
  • 20230916_102600.jpg
    20230916_102600.jpg
    665.4 KB · Views: 0
  • 20230916_103903.jpg
    20230916_103903.jpg
    691.4 KB · Views: 0
Did some house cleaning, upgraded my brew cart,by making my power supply for my steam trap part of the stand,put away some equipment I no longer use, and made my R/O water for next weeks brewday then ordered my grain bill for a spiced holiday whit beir... now I've cracked open an Octoberfest for a afternoon of football watching.

Drank the very last bottle of my bourbonated imperial stout. Brewed in January, bottled in mid-February, it was pretty harsh until late June. Tasted AMAZING late July. Was saving the last bottle for weeks and weeks until I couldn't wait any more...

Sadly, it's not as good as it was back in July (tho certainly not bad). I suspect it's oxidation creeping in -- I'm using plastic buckets, and was still unable to resist peeking in the bucket when this one was brewing.

Back