What I did for beer today

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Checked on the progress of the Honey Brown carbonation. She's ready ! I will keg the other 3 gallons this week and let it cold condition in the kegerator till Thanksgiving. Taste good.

Attachments

• IMG_20221106_154906815.jpg
    IMG_20221106_154906815.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 0
Fairly active weekend beer-wise. Racked the imperial stout to the barrel (went from 1.140 to 1.034!), kicked the farmhouse ale, cleaned the line (a little extra attention cleaning being that it used a STA1+ yeast strain), and put the pumpkin ale on. But being that it was primarily brewed to give away, I promptly nearly emptied the keg filling bottles. If my calculations are correct, there should only be about 3 or 4 pints left, so put the oatmeal stout in the kegerator/on CO2 so it can go on immediately after the pumpkin kicks.

I'm working away from home so my brewing is on hold , but I just ordered a bunch of grain , hops , yeast online so that I can try my hand at all grain brewing when I get home. Going to try small batches on my stovetop . Experiment with some simple smash brews to get the feel for the process ...should be fun. Until then all I can do is drink beer and keep researching.

What is in your beer to make it like a fluffer nutter sandwich and what is the pillow thing in the pic?

Peanut butter extract, vanilla extract, and unfermentable sugar (lactose) ... not gonna go overboard, just a hint of each.

The pillow is my Wilser bag, under my kettle lid, which I'm using to press the goodness out of the wet grain. :)

So boring..but required. cleaned the lines of a keg I kicked the night prior. Which reminds me that I also need to clean the damn keg....dangit.

View attachment 785799
For a second there I thought you had your in post connected to your out? Wondering what is the point of that :)
1667943918912.png

🙄

Dumped an absolutely god awful attempt at a low alcohol beer. Everything that could go wrong, did yesterday. Tonight’s attempt so far is promising
Most of us been there done that a time or 2...us honest ones anyway. I had a beer or 2 come out so awful I wondered if it was poisoned, the Mrs trying to off me 👀

Nothing yet for beer today but will after my assigned chores by the Commanding General wife I will. Just wanted to say Happy Veterans day to all of us who put the uniform on whatever branch. And to our families and friends who supported us. God Bless us and save us. All of us. HooRah !!

Attachments

• IMG_20221111_103633028.jpg
    IMG_20221111_103633028.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 0
I’m a retired and disabled Veteran, and salute you other Veterans and supporters. I took out a couple of other older Veterans today around Boise for some of the great things the community does. Had some laughs, great food, and free pints at my place. REALLY great time. We all get together and brew from time to time. GO ARMY! ESSAYONS! I was in the Army, one was in the Air Force, and the other was in the Navy during Vietnam. I think this picture should be named “Fat Guys in a Tiny Booth.” (Trademark pending) 🤣
BC736907-75F1-41BB-9782-B21C4C8617FE.jpeg

To all veterans, a heartfelt thank you. My father (Navy) missed Korea by only a scant year, but two of his brothers saw action in WW2 and Vietnam.

Today turned down the ferment fridge on the Festbier I brewed last weekend, after adding gelatin to the fermenter this time instead of the keg; felt like trying it. Also milled grain for another batch of the house WF lager, that disappears so quickly. I have the capacity to brew 10g batches but never the gumption to do it.

Just did something that has me giddy with delight, or as giddy as I can get without substances. Have two carbonation lids that I got from Amazon a while ago; they work on some of my kegs, not on others. And of course when I want to use one, the keg I have available is one of those. Lid just wouldn't keep a seal, even with disgusting amounts of keg lube. So I narrowed it down to the feet on the lid. What to do? Tried wedging a penny under each one, but just couldn't get my fat fingers in the right place, resulting in unplanned tiddlywinks. Have I mentioned that I sew? Have tons of pins, those nice ball-headed ones. Saw one on the table, and got to thinking. Found my wire cutters, cut the ball end off of two pins, and stuffed them in each of the leg caps. Voila!! Sealed lid!! Not too super tight either. I want this particular beer ready to tap by tomorrow at the latest, and those carbonation lids do the trick without resorting to the shake & roll method. Added another gold star to my Mrs MacGyver List of Things I Figure Out with stuff I have lying around the house.

Just did something that has me giddy with delight, or as giddy as I can get without substances. Have two carbonation lids that I got from Amazon a while ago; they work on some of my kegs, not on others. And of course when I want to use one, the keg I have available is one of those. Lid just wouldn't keep a seal, even with disgusting amounts of keg lube. So I narrowed it down to the feet on the lid. What to do? Tried wedging a penny under each one, but just couldn't get my fat fingers in the right place, resulting in unplanned tiddlywinks. Have I mentioned that I sew? Have tons of pins, those nice ball-headed ones. Saw one on the table, and got to thinking. Found my wire cutters, cut the ball end off of two pins, and stuffed them in each of the leg caps. Voila!! Sealed lid!! Not too super tight either. I want this particular beer ready to tap by tomorrow at the latest, and those carbonation lids do the trick without resorting to the shake & roll method. Added another gold star to my Mrs MacGyver List of Things I Figure Out with stuff I have lying around the house.
What in God's name are feet on a lid ??? I have 2 carbonation lids , and also ,the more expensive one never seals on any keg so I just quit trying to use it after several new seals and also a ton of keg lube didn't help. It too was from Ama Almighty Zon. My el cheapo I bought years ago online from Wally World works like a charm. The one that doesn't work is so shiny and pretty and is only good for a paper weight if I were so inclined. Wish the freaking thing would work already. I get pissed every time I dig through my kegging storage box and see it. Showing the $14 El Cheapo on the keg that has never failed in it's duty and the $45 shiny piece of crap on the left that has never held a seal once. Should have sent it back after the 5th attempt but like you I figured sooner or later my MacGyver skills would come through. Not !!

Attachments

• 16682667651998716749565341940433.jpg
    16682667651998716749565341940433.jpg
    759.1 KB · Views: 0
What in God's name are feet on a lid ??? I have 2 carbonation lids , and also ,the more expensive one never seals on any keg so I just quit trying to use it after several new seals and also a ton of keg lube didn't help. It too was from Ama Almighty Zon. My el cheapo I bought years ago online from Wally World works like a charm. The one that doesn't work is so shiny and pretty and is only good for a paper weight if I were so inclined. Wish the freaking thing would work already. I get pissed every time I dig through my kegging storage box and see it. Showing the $14 El Cheapo on the keg that has never failed in it's duty and the $45 shiny piece of crap on the left that has never held a seal once. Should have sent it back after the 5th attempt but like you I figured sooner or later my MacGyver skills would come through. Not !!
They're the little white or gray things on the legs that go against the keg when you flip the handle over to seal the lid (photo below). I had to use needle-nose pliers to get them off. I've read posts where people have used solder to fill the gap but I don't currently have any solder (nor any earthly idea where my soldering iron is). Was thinking ratshot (or similar bb shot) would work as well, also something I don't have handy. Even a small piece of wire might work, just make sure it's not sharp enough to pierce the plastic.

*edit And I do hope this works for you, love reading your posts!! This is what HBT is all about, helping each other.

20221112_092003[1].jpg

the more expensive one never seals on any keg
Keg trick #1:
Stick a penny under the bail's feet when closing it. That adds extra tension, hopefully enough to make a positive seal.
If not quite enough find the next thicker item, such as the side of a washer.

They're the little white or gray things on the legs that go against the keg when you flip the handle over to seal the lid (photo below). I had to use needle-nose pliers to get them off. I've read posts where people have used solder to fill the gap but I don't currently have any solder (nor any earthly idea where my soldering iron is). Was thinking ratshot (or similar bb shot) would work as well, also something I don't have handy. Even a small piece of wire might work, just make sure it's not sharp enough to pierce the plastic.

*edit And I do hope this works for you, love reading your posts!! This is what HBT is all about, helping each other.

View attachment 786108
😂🤣😂🤣😂🤣 I just call them lid locks

Went to the LHBS for the 3rd time for yeast for a single 2.5 gallon batch of Pale Ale.

Brewed Thursday morning
Pitched the yeast (#1) in the fermenter just before transferring the wort on top
Realized I hadn't emptied out the gallon of sanitizer solution, oops
Went and got more yeast (#2) right away, and threw it in right away (no smack / swell, just go)
Waited about ~ 48 hours, until late this morning, no activity whatsoever (clear fermenter)
Went to the store again, bought more (#3), pitched that in

And of course I went from zero yeast activity to some clear bubbles starting to form the beginning of a krausen, like, while I was literally out of the house this morning running errands, and so I was probably fine after all.

Today is a sad sad day in the Walker World of home brewing...went to my fave LHBS to gather my Christmas Ale fixings... which to me is hands down by far the best LHBS in these parts of S.E Michigan. Sign on the door said closed permanently 🙄😵‍💫😟🤢😱😵!!!! I'm devastated!!!! I did post about 4 months ago the young owner passed from cancer out of nowhere. But 2 of the guys who worked there were trying to take it over and keep it going...alas it was not to be. Bottles up to you Andy and my lost LHBS Cap N Cork !!! 😢 😭. Leaned how to do so much from those guys at that great place. 30 years...end of an era. 🇺🇸

Spent some time stewarding at a competition, then sampled various beers at the beer expo at the same venue, before learning the results and collecting my 2nd place for ….
Russia Is Not Borg - porter with beet root, lol. I will be making a donation to World Kitchen as they continue to help feed Ukrainians.

View attachment 786108
By the way thanks for the tip Seatazzz. I'll try the coin method next I keg this coming week.

Needed a pick me up after the kick in the stomach of having my LHBS close plus the 1st day of snow 😵‍💫.. So went to Total Wine and more and what do you know ? My fave goto ale during my 3 trips to England, Fullers London Pride ! And Sam Smith Winter Welcome. So a ray of sunshine in an otherwise dreary sad day. 🍻 cheers

Attachments

• IMG_20221112_214607465.jpg
    IMG_20221112_214607465.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 0
Checked on yesterday's coffee stout - S04 seems to adjust to the cold temps in my shed like Lutra in a nice room-temperature kitchen - it is bubbling away like crazy. The way the weather is looking this week in south Jersey (and everywhere else), it's going to be an iced-coffee stout.

Back