What I did for beer today

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
On further review, I think we need a new beer category for summer lawnmower beers.

Call it "lawnmower beers."

Doubtful BJCP will get on board for this, but we could.

Make it anything goes for ingredients, color. Just keep it <5% ABV and FG <1.010 or so.
I love this idea! I think it should get it's own thread honestly. I've been brewing a lot more lighter beers this year and would love some advice on adding adjuncts.

Was your dad a Marine? Panther piss seems to be a favorite non-curse among them.

On the "summer lawnmower beer" thing I would go so far as to make it include both lagers and ales. Only requirement is low-ish ABV and dry finish.

Of course, such broad inclusiveness would make the BJCP people's heads asplode, but no reason why this should keep us from having a de facto category of beers we can readily pour down our necks in copious quantities.

If it's easy drinking, it's in like flynn.

I'm only half serious here, but why not?
Not a Marine.

Not sure where he picked that one up, but he uses it liberally. He likes Helles and most beers aren't Helles, so, from his perspective, there's an entire universe of Panther Piss out there.

Regarding ales, hell yeah! Most of the styles I cited are ales, after all. Of course ales are in!

I was spit-balling that initial definition and grossly biased by my Panther Piss project.

Like you said, if you can dump it down your neck in stupid quantities when it's hot enough that your sweat has stopped working, it's in style.

We've done the hard stuff, Gordon. What's keeping you?

Wish I could help. It’s my first attempt. Well, second I guess. I had luck adding lime peel in the boil once, but I’m planning on using some crystallized lime this time around.
Just kegged a salt and lime Mexican lager where I added fresh lime peel and juice in the last 10 minutes boil. It’s good but I think it lacks lime flavor and next time I’ll dry hop the peel or just add a few drops of extract. Careful with the salt if you add it. The salt comes through pretty strong. 2 tsp in a 5 gallon batch.

Just kegged a salt and lime Mexican lager where I added fresh lime peel and juice in the last 10 minutes boil. It’s good but I think it lacks lime flavor and next time I’ll dry hop the peel or just add a few drops of extract. Careful with the salt if you add it. The salt come through pretty strong. 2 tsp in a 5 gallon batch.
PS, I used the peel from six Thai limes and two tablespoons of juice.

I haven't read your poem yet, but, oh boy....this is gonna be good! :mischievous:

LMAO already!

Fruit Flies in my Fridge, Brilliant!!!!!

I had much the same experience a week ago today when I discovered that one of the four latches on my Brewbucket had popped when I lowered it into my Brewjacket. Of course, it was a hefewiezen...This would only happen on a Hefeweizen.

I arrived home from work with thick krausen on the lid. No biggie, I thought. Indeed, I thought I had gotten lucky, just a bit of a leak from the new gasket in the center of the lid where the cooling rod enters. It took me a further day and so much runaway krausen to figure out that one of my latches had popped. And that's when it sank in, my brewjacket had soaked through to the hardwood floor.

Oh, something that rhymes with FOCK.

Flies. So many flies.

Thank you, so kindly for your remarkable poem. It was exactly the salve that I needed to start to smile about this shameful experience. I've brewed for over 25-years and I've never had a fermentation leave the fermenter. I was feeling pretty low about that, but your poem makes it all worth while.

Thank you! :bigmug:
Thank you (blushing).

One of the many things I've learned in my years of brewing, is the corollary to RDWHAHB; you need to be able to laugh about your mishaps, or at least see the humor in them. And I like poetry.

The wife says she wants to go look at a rental property and move my brewery out of the house :)
Sounds like I’m getting a bigger brewery hehehe.
Off topic, but your handle just brought me back to the mid-70s and that comedy bit. My sister had it as a 45 record and played it for me a lot. Now I have to go google it. That and the Jaws Parody song by Dickie Goodman.

*edit I had NO idea that Earache my Eye was Cheech & Chong, horey crap!!!!

well, i just walked up hill! BOTH WAYS! to my mail box to get the methylene blue dye....here is what it shows me right now....this yeast was harvested and kept in the fridge for a couple days....looks like one dead cell so far?

out of you count em! i just weighed out 2 grams of the slurry and diluted it with 4 grams water...mixed up really good and added a couple drops of the dye to it...pretty fun stuff!

View attachment 771067

but as @McMullan said to me, this going to be shite data....and i still thinking for the price of a movie ticket...this is way better
then hollywood! ;) :mug:

edit: does look like i got kinda some other critters creaping in too though...going to have to see how that problem progesses also....
I'd run a positive control on the MB, to make sure it's working. Kill some yeast cells. Try diluting the MB more in water.

Kill some yeast cells.

damn it!!! that a really good idea! they're killing my brain cells, why not take a few of them out! i think i'll do a known boiled 1 gram slurry, with 1 gram fresh...have to do it in the nuker...

add that to what i've done for beer today! and i've been doing things all day for beer, but this is going to be the most fun and at 10pm, probably all i can fit in!

damn, i thinking nuking them in boiling water they didn't die peacefuly in their sleep.....at least looking at this....

Mon Jun 06 22-29-15.jpg

I love this idea! I think it should get it's own thread honestly. I've been brewing a lot more lighter beers this year and would love some advice on adding adjuncts.
Sounds like a few of us are headed down this road. I got my hands on some Wyeast 2035 American Lager yeast that they finally released at the start of this year. I brewed a pre-pro lager with it and saved off 8 vials of it in a glycerine mixture and I have now frozen them hoping to be able to use it again since that is one of their limited private collection yeasts and I don’t know when they will put it out again. I’m hoping to get 2272 when they release that again. 2272 is supposed to be the old Christian Schmidt strain. I grew up in Phila just a couple miles from the Schmidts brewery and some of my earliest experience with beer was quarts of Schmidts.

Brewing and also buying more lagers and “clean” beers. To each his own, but me, I’m sick to death of seeing hazy beers everywhere that all look like a glass of orange juice and sour beers everywhere being made by intentionally introducing spoilage organisms that I spend good money on PBW and Star San and iodophor to keep away. Or I’m sure somebody somewhere must be making a beer that is hazy AND sour!

what's the kill rate?
Depends on the condition of the yeast cells and how good you are at promoting deadly ice crystals in the cell membranes. Obviously, you'll need some water and a freezer. Freezing fast and thawing slow usually does the trick. As much 40% or more per cycle. Mitochondrial membranes are particularly vulnerable, which is why the petit phenotype becomes common, so even if they look alive they're too inefficient, metabolically, for fermenting wort. They might look normal under a microscope. Easiest way to detect them is to plate out on agar. Bit of a sidetrack, but the frequency of the petit mutation itself often increases in stored slurry, due to environmental stress and the inability of cells to metabolise ROS. Again, mitochondria are at a higher risk, but this time due to being more exposed with a relatively vulnerable (unfolded) genome. Kind of what's described as 'genetic drift'. Trick to recovery is to select healthy looking colonies from agar plates. Or, more straightforward, culture up from just a drop of old slurry, in, say, 10ml, then step up. There's a good chance natural selection restores things. By the time the final step's done you'll have some very pitchable yeast. Harvest and repitch fresh a few times or so and you'll be using the best yeast possible for free. Obviously, I'm not selling yeast so I can tell the truth. The best possible yeast to pitch are actually free, but don't tell anyone.🤫

Brewed a blonde ale for summer. Planning to add some lime flavors at packaging.
I mixed up a 3 gallon keg of seltzer. Basically a 1.75l vodka, the rest water, and a whole 2 oz bottle of flavoring from Apex. I used their margarita flavoring in this one. Or you could buy a flavored vodka. Just force carbed. Its pretty good. The alcohol dilution calculator puts it about 4.4%

1.76 liters of alcohol with 30.00 %vol
mixed with 10.24 liters of water produce
12.00 liters of alcohol with 4.40 %vol.

I got some of the cheap vodka for this that was 60 proof.

That's my Dad's favorite term for beer he doesn't like, which is most beers that don't come from Munich.

Your 2lbs of corn and 1lb of rice is the ratio that I settled on (in a 10lb grist). It's really good! You get plenty of corn flavor and the rice is there to dry it out and keep it refreshing...all the way up to 1.074. Yeah, it's like a N. American Tripple.

I don't think boiling the rice was necessary. I did so because I think Asahi Super Dry is one of the dumbest and funniest beer names out there. I don't know why, but I think "super dry" is funny. So I made everything as super dry as possible yesterday...and yuck, yuck, yucked the whole way to the fermenter.

Was the boiled rice worth it? Not really. Beersmith says I scored 97% mash efficiency. I normally hit 92% on my 60min/30min step mashed adjunct lagers. Five percent mash efficiency is jack squat, in terms of OG into the fermenter. There's lots of ways to get way more efficient, boiling your flaked rice isn't one of them...unless you want your beer to be ***SUPER DRY!!!!!!!***

Snicker, snort. ;)
There was a Panther Brewing Company maybe 20 years ago making Three Stooges Beer.
C316056E-07DC-4CBF-9CF4-30CCB42D592A.jpeg

Bit of a sidetrack,

not really, due to another thread. i was going to get a golden oyster syringe culture, and pull the ol' sterile air box out of moth balls...

(maybe i can kill the yeast, and bring them back! now about those brain cells? ;))

well here's what they look like after a night in the fridge and a thaw at room temp...i interpret that mostly dead with a couple still alive? little blurry

Tue Jun 07 12-12-15.jpg

"the big white things are the led lights this thing has.....i'll try to get a better, still don't even know how to do that the best way... :mug:

1654629619880.png

black circle living, red dead? (for a $15 dollar microscope i think about the best i'm going to get..which for $15, i think is still impressive)

Last edited:
Declared my C02 leak fixed. With the gas shut off and everything else pressurized there was no pressure loss overnight. So, went to the local (15 miles away) farm supply place and swapped my 20lb tank for a full one. When loading it in my pickup the owner commented that it seemed really heavy (steel tank). I weighed it when I got home and, according to my scale, it has 22lbs in it.

After that I put together a couple of recipe kits to take to the city house. We’ll be there for almost 3 weeks so I should probably plan to brew something. Blonde Ale and Amber Ale.
53EB9BEE-46E0-43F4-B835-D6B779D710A9.jpeg

25lbs, weighed 57.

you sure it wasn't just an ugly aluminum tank? but still score on the 22lbs! time to start purging kegs and doing closed transfers! (if you don't already i forget)

hell maybe people will start purging their kegerators to bump the EVA tubing to 11!

Last edited:
Tapped the Helles Bock that was kegged a couple weeks ago today; perfectly carbed, quite malty and very tasty. Still disappointed that I haven't overcarbed anything to the point I get to use my cute new spunding valve setup yet. Next up will be the Galaxy Pale I brewed 2 weeks ago; maybe THAT one I'll get to do the trick on. Hefeweizen continues to slowly bubble away; quick sniff of it today revealed a bit of sour that may be 1) co2, and/or 2) sulfur from the yeast and my nose is confused. Going to let it go a few more days then taste it; if it's gone south, as I suspect, will dump and brew another one this weekend, after I procure more yeast. Or maybe I got lucky. Yes, I could let it go become a sour; but I don't like sours.

Depends on the condition of the yeast cells and how good you are at promoting deadly ice crystals in the cell membranes. Obviously, you'll need some water and a freezer. Freezing fast and thawing slow usually does the trick. As much 40% or more per cycle. Mitochondrial membranes are particularly vulnerable, which is why the petit phenotype becomes common, so even if they look alive they're too inefficient, metabolically, for fermenting wort. They might look normal under a microscope. Easiest way to detect them is to plate out on agar. Bit of a sidetrack, but the frequency of the petit mutation itself often increases in stored slurry, due to environmental stress and the inability of cells to metabolise ROS. Again, mitochondria are at a higher risk, but this time due to being more exposed with a relatively vulnerable (unfolded) genome. Kind of what's described as 'genetic drift'. Trick to recovery is to select healthy looking colonies from agar plates. Or, more straightforward, culture up from just a drop of old slurry, in, say, 10ml, then step up. There's a good chance natural selection restores things. By the time the final step's done you'll have some very pitchable yeast. Harvest and repitch fresh a few times or so and you'll be using the best yeast possible for free. Obviously, I'm not selling yeast so I can tell the truth. The best possible yeast to pitch are actually free, but don't tell anyone.🤫
Amazing post, sir.

Thanks very much!

Tapped the Helles Bock that was kegged a couple weeks ago today; perfectly carbed, quite malty and very tasty. Still disappointed that I haven't overcarbed anything to the point I get to use my cute new spunding valve setup yet. Next up will be the Galaxy Pale I brewed 2 weeks ago; maybe THAT one I'll get to do the trick on. Hefeweizen continues to slowly bubble away; quick sniff of it today revealed a bit of sour that may be 1) co2, and/or 2) sulfur from the yeast and my nose is confused. Going to let it go a few more days then taste it; if it's gone south, as I suspect, will dump and brew another one this weekend, after I procure more yeast. Or maybe I got lucky. Yes, I could let it go become a sour; but I don't like sours.
I wouldn't give up on it too early. I brew a couple hefes a year, at most, so I'm hardly an expert, but I've found that hefes kinda go through a "sick" phase just before or after kegging. They straighten up and fly right after a week in the keg. Some of my best hefes were nearly dumpers on kegging day. I have no idea why this is the case. I've kegged them at TG, given them an extra week in the fermenter to clean up, I've even given them a full three weeks. They always seem to need a week in the keg to get their act together. No clue why.

They're strange beers and I don't really understand them.

I got mad at my TILT for beer today.

The 30% rice insult to Ninkasi that I brewed on Sunday has a TILT that refuses to calibrate. It keeps registering about .007 SG too high. I pulled the TILT today, cleaned it, sanitized it, then dumped it back into the fermenter. Now it's reading .010 too high. I'm currently running a calibration on the blasted thing.

I got mad at my TILT for beer today.

everyone gets mad at brat hyrdometers! doesn't matter what kind they are...i got sick of a 1-3 chance it showed me what i want with a triple scale, so i got a 'plain form' one that just has SG on it, unfortunately it still has a single digit side opposite...so you'd think hell 50/50%...but no, always just the ones....

it's like spinning a roulette table, you know you're going to lose... apparently try to get the brat to lay down.....

everyone gets mad at brat hyrdometers! doesn't matter what kind they are...i got sick of a 1-3 chance it showed me what i want with a triple scale, so i got a 'plain form' one that just has SG on it, unfortunately it still has a single digit side opposite...so you'd think hell 50/50%...but no, always just the ones....

it's like spinning a roulette table, you know you're going to lose... apparently try to get the brat to lay down.....
So true.

I love my TILTS, but I've learned how to work around them as much as trust them. The problem with them is that you can calibrate the damned things on your phone until the cows come home, but they refuse to listen. They'll make a small initial adjustment, but after that, piss off!

Your wort is 1.061.

Actually, Mr. TILT, it's 1.052.

No, it's 1.061.

Really, Mr. TILT, I checked twice with the refractometer, then broke out the hydrometer. I'm quite certain it's 1.052.

Fine! If you want to be that way...1.060.

Let's try this again, TILT. 1.052. I really mean that.

Please?

I'm begging you.

I hate you.

They're as stubborn as a mule.

So true.

I love my TILTS, but I've learned how to work around them as much as trust them. The problem with them is that you can calibrate the damned things on your phone until the cows come home, but they refuse to listen. They'll make a small initial adjustment, but after that, piss off!

Your wort is 1.061.

No, it's 1.061.

Really, Mr. TILT, I checked twice with the refractometer, then broke out the hydrometer. I'm quite certain it's 1.052.

Fine! If you want to be that way...1.060.

Let's try this again, TILT. 1.052. I really mean that.

Please?

I'm begging you.

I hate you.

They're as stubborn as a mule.

So true.

Your wort is 1.061.

No, it's 1.061.
I feel the same way about mine. I have two tilts. And I absolutely love them and completely hate them. I honestly only used them to know if I should start to ramp temp up, or if its time to dry hop with some points left, but otherwise its completely in that category of just liking information.

And as an update to my own transferring wort onto a fresh cake....wow. I might need to try and do this more often. Maybe not as much in the summer with the warmer weather, but when the ground water temp drops, I really might take advantage of scheduling beers this way. Unless, of course, this one ends up a complete ********. But I dont think Ive ever had a beer chugging away this quickly.

Back