What I did for beer today

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Brewing my first beer ever with no boil hops because I'm going for straight NEIPA. I'm only doing whirlpool, ferm, and dry. I kept thinking I forgot to put hops in the boil LOL. Did 4 oz of azacca and 2 oz of el dorado whirlpool. I'm doing the same hops for fermentation and dry with Galaxy also in the mix. Opshaug kveik and metschnikowia reukaufii yeast co-pitch. I am using a spunding valve for the first time also!
IMG_20210320_185742_479.jpg
IMG_20210320_185742_499.jpg

Pulled the second FG sample out of the fermenter holding my Against the Grain APA. Steady at 1.017, and the esters are clearing as it sits... solvents apparent in the first sample are greatly reduced, and Assistent Braumeister says the taste evokes memories of Busch Gardens Tampa.

I'm not sure whether or not to be flattered or disappointed...

This morning, picked up some new equipment upgrades, so I moved everything out of the garage, cleaned, and reorganized the brewery. Because of the new furniture, it's much more organized, and by the time I am done sorting, I should have a starter 5G All-Grain Brew Set if you want to send anyone my way. Free bottles, too, lol. Empty, mind!

Yesterday started the crash on the latest lager; this one will get to sit for at least a week at 45 before kegging, don't need it for a while. Also, not necessarily for beer, but after the weekly visit with mom last night started up knitting again. It's been years since I've done anything, as in before google was really a thing; there's so much out there now that I'll never have nothing to do. Except now I gotta buy yarn as well as brewing supplies...

Yesterday started the crash on the latest lager; this one will get to sit for at least a week at 45 before kegging, don't need it for a while. Also, not necessarily for beer, but after the weekly visit with mom last night started up knitting again. It's been years since I've done anything, as in before google was really a thing; there's so much out there now that I'll never have nothing to do. Except now I gotta buy yarn as well as brewing supplies...
Maybe knit a nice insulator for your mash tun?

Not my first Nottingham rodeo.

Pro tip-unless you have a lot more than a gallon of headspace, you’re gonna need a bigger blowoff container.

Bwahahahaha. Notty is naughty!

If I could only brew with one yeast for the rest of my life, Notty might be it. Fairly neutral tasting, flocculates very clear, wide fermentation temperature range, tolerates pretty high ABV levels, easy to get. I just pitched an 11% ABV cyser on a Notty yeast cake last night, and it was going pretty gang busters within a few hours (but is now banished to the cooler garage to more slowly ferment away.

Sliced and diced 7.40 oz. Jalapenos (seeds and all), soaking in 7 oz. Hornitos Reposado tequilla. Will add to my 5.5 gallon Kama Citra IPA, maybe at kegging time or a few days prior, but sometime after the 1 oz Cascade and 1 oz. Citra dry hopping event on fermenter Day #14 manana.
20210322_222414~2.jpg

Not my first Nottingham rodeo.

Pro tip-unless you have a lot more than a gallon of headspace, you’re gonna need a bigger blowoff container.

Amen! London Ale III blew into my air lock after filling 2 gallons of headspace in my Fastferment conical. That was new...

Curiously, it was also the amount I’ve recovered from the collection bulb. I guess it’s all suspended in the NEIPA.

Sliced and diced 7.40 oz. Jalapenos (seeds and all), soaking in 7 oz. Hornitos Reposado tequilla. Will add to my 5.5 gallon Kama Citra IPA, maybe at kegging time or a few days prior, but sometime after the 1 oz Cascade and 1 oz. Citra dry hopping event on fermenter Day #14 manana.View attachment 723163
Put the peppers in the fermenter and the tequila back in the bottle!

Kegged 5 gallons of American Golden Ale @ primary fermenter day 28. O.G. 1.063, F.G. 1.014, ABV ~ 6.4%. A partial mash @ 153F using 6.5 lb Maris Otter. 3.5 lbs. Briess Pilsen light DME added at boil, then 1 oz. Centennial hops @ 60, 1 oz Centennial @ 10, 0.55 oz. Centennial hops (all I had leftover from another brew) for dry hop fermenter day 14. Sample tasted awesome baby! Now set-and-forget carbonating 12 psi @ 42F.

On the way home from work today had a long talk with myself about what I want to brew this weekend. Husband bought us some Idaho 7 hops last month, and I'm working up a recipe. Have to go get some two-row though, and here's another reason why I love my absolutely wonderful husband: usual LHBS has been out for a while (I go there because she's got great prices) and he told me to go to the slightly higher-priced shop if I needed two-row and just get it, for chrissakes (maybe to keep from hearing me whine about how I'm out of two-row, but still...). Still working 11+ hour days at work, and just got asked to stay later tomorrow to train a nightshift person to do some of my work; so Thursday I'll make the trip to get grain. Tonight is for enjoying some of my latest Bastard clone, this one done with pilsner as the base (cause that's what I had) but turned out great, and will very much complement the steak & baked potatoes I'm doing for dinner tonight. Glad to be home after a long day.

Bwahahahaha. Notty is naughty!

If I could only brew with one yeast for the rest of my life, Notty might be it. Fairly neutral tasting, flocculates very clear, wide fermentation temperature range, tolerates pretty high ABV levels, easy to get. I just pitched an 11% ABV cyser on a Notty yeast cake last night, and it was going pretty gang busters within a few hours (but is now banished to the cooler garage to more slowly ferment away.
Notty is also my go-to for any ale I brew; ferments the cleanest of any ale yeast I've tried and lasts through many generations no matter what I throw it at, even high gravity stuff. I've ordered it enough at Allmaymoneyzagon that the last time I did they offered a subscription for it....just barely resisted.

well, i stayed sober long enough to go get the mail (rural area)....picked up my new pound of gluco-amylase. good thing too, last looked like it was done, leaky fermenter lid, so no bubbles. and it was only at 1.005. only added a pinch out of the old dead bag of gluco. added more gluco, should be done by tomorrow....

Bottling the first of my English SMASH grain series. It's Chevallier and Maris Otter today. On deck to brew is the same bog standard recipe with Golden Promise and Pearl (mash 154F, ferment 64F, OG ~1044, Notty, First Gold IBU ~32, English water treatment). In the pipeline will be Irish malt and a north american 2-row.

Am I missing an English malt that I shouldn't be? Chevallier was the go to malt for 100 years of English brewing (I'm trying for the first time), and these days it's pretty much Maris Otter and/or Golden Promise as the go to. I've got some Pearl winter malt, and I do like me some Irish for the dry stout.

Anyone with a recommendation of a north american 2-row that most resembles an English pale malt for comparison purposes?

i thought they did away with that in the primitive days? got my sympathy. :mug:
Nah. I'm Salary so they can exploit me as much as they want. Fortunately I like what I do and get along with my coworkers for the most part. I'm in transportation (ocean cargo) which is an essential business so I've been working straight through since this whole mess started.

Nah. I'm Salary so they can exploit me as much as they want. Fortunately I like what I do and get along with my coworkers for the most part. I'm in transportation (ocean cargo) which is an essential business so I've been working straight through since this whole mess started.

i hope you get some serious paid vacation time....

i hope you get some serious paid vacation time....
LOL!! I've got such a specialized job (container dispatching) that nobody I work with can do it. I've been doing the same thing for 13+ years until it's pretty much a no-brainer for me. Our robot overlords (super-big mega corporation that owns us) won't let us hire anything but temps, the last three we got to try and help me got completely overwhelmed by the sheer mass of work that's involved. I've put in for vacation in June (husband and I are taking a road trip to Vegas, then swinging up through Idaho & Montana to visit kids & relatives) and they still haven't approved it because there's no one to cover for me yet.

Anyway, what I did (or plan to do) for beer today; pretty much got this weekend's recipe done in my head, will go with a straight two-row base, with Mosaic for bittering and a mix of Mosaic & Idaho 7 late....or maybe no bittering hop at all and dump everything in late. Dunno yet, still have time to decide. In the meantime, these kegs aren't going to empty themselves....hubby's bowling night and I've got some drinking to do.

Took my first reading of my attempt at Yooper's Hoppy American Ale. OG was 1.069 and now it is at 1.015. Not too shabby. It will be one week tomorrow so maybe it is done. I'll let it sit a few more days to see if it drops any and then put it in the secondary and cold crash it.

Researched keezers. I really don't mind bottling, aside from the time it takes away from the family. Being able to rack from fermenter to keg and drinking in 3-4 days sounds really attractive! Now, I just need to convince my wife that we have room for it in the garage . . .
Get one big enough so you dont have to drink it in 3days. Might be a personal problem but I prefer my beers after a few weeks of cold conditioning(even the hoppy ones).

Researched keezers. I really don't mind bottling, aside from the time it takes away from the family. Being able to rack from fermenter to keg and drinking in 3-4 days sounds really attractive! Now, I just need to convince my wife that we have room for it in the garage . . .
The trick is to make it look really nice and then keep it inside the house. The wifie originally objected to this idea but she likes it now as it is convenient and the center of attention with guests.

Back