What I did for beer today

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Bought the supplies and legged my first beer. Goodbye bottling! (At least until I get a beergun)
You don't need a beer gun. You need a party tap, standard racking cane and bung.

The party tap is your pouring valve. The racking cane fits inside the party tap. The bung seals the bottle. See the pictures.

The guy in this thread uses a piece of silicone hose. Typical for recirculation on a mash tun.

https://www.homebrewtalk.com/forum/index.php?threads/649282/
downloadfile-17.jpeg
downloadfile-25.jpeg

I made an English Porter split batch to test WLP17 Whitbread and WLP26 Premium Bitter fresh from the White Labs vault purge. Also made 2.5 gallons of Kolsch and will pitch WLP011 in the morning after it cools. I'll also try the WLP011 in a cyser to see if it will naturally finish north of 10.00 (fingers crossed it will finish at 1005).

Pulled the keg of Czech lager out of the kegerator (it has nasty esters or something, I'm too lazy to figure it out) and plan on inoculating it with some lager yeast slurry, then leaving it in the warm house for a few days to see what happens. If it doesn't help, no large deal, although I'll be p*ssed at losing a full keg of what was SUPPOSED to be a competition beer; I have another one in the wings that is tons better anyway. Just want to see if it will help.

You don't need a beer gun. You need a party tap, standard racking cane and bung.

The party tap is your pouring valve. The racking cane fits inside the party tap. The bung seals the bottle. See the pictures.

The guy in this thread uses a piece of silicone hose. Typical for recirculation on a mash tun.

https://www.homebrewtalk.com/forum/index.php?threads/649282/View attachment 638709View attachment 638710

I have one of those (thanks Biermuncher for the instructions!) but it's messy. I just ordered, and should get today, a OneBom counterpressure filler from amazon for my birthday; eager to see if it works as well as the beer gun for half the price.

Removed the labels and cleaned up a case of bottles.
Was going to bottle my current batch and brew another but the one currently in the fermenter dropped another 2 points so I'm going to wait longer until I'm positive it's stable.

Yesterday, bottled 5G of dry stout.

Today, brewing the base beer for my pale wheat, lambic.

And, because no brew day would be complete without complications, ran out of propane halfway through the boil.

Dinner is going to be late.

LOL! That happened to me the other day! Ran down to a local convenience store to get the bottle refilled, and had to show the employee how to run the equipment!

LOL! That happened to me the other day! Ran down to a local convenience store to get the bottle refilled, and had to show the employee how to run the equipment!
Me three. Thought I had enough yesterday, was sitting here typing away and happened to look towards the burner and...nothing. One of these days I'll figure out how to tap into the gas line in the house....and maybe yall will read about it on facebook. "Suburban Seattle homebrewer blows house & neighborhood to kingdom come....video at 6."

IMG_20190806_074315417_HDR~2.jpg
Converting a 20 gallon kettle to a mash tun.
IMG_20190806_074323281_HDR.jpg

Trial fit only, valve will not be upside down, and the extra nipple is waiting for a thermometer, arriving tomorrow.

Long story short; at Oregon Brewfest last weekend husband absolutely fell head over heels in love with saisons. I've never brewed one. Fast forward to today: won $50 on a scratch ticket and bought a couple six-packs at the store, IPA for me, and a Raspberry Saison by (yeah I didn't believe it either) Red Hook, for the husband. Unbelievably tasty, not over-the-top on raspberriness, just a nice light easy drinking saison. So guess who now needs to figure out a recipe to try and match it? Gee wonder what I'm doing this week.

Long story short; at Oregon Brewfest last weekend husband absolutely fell head over heels in love with saisons. I've never brewed one. Fast forward to today: won $50 on a scratch ticket and bought a couple six-packs at the store, IPA for me, and a Raspberry Saison by (yeah I didn't believe it either) Red Hook, for the husband. Unbelievably tasty, not over-the-top on raspberriness, just a nice light easy drinking saison. So guess who now needs to figure out a recipe to try and match it? Gee wonder what I'm doing this week.

In the recipe section there is a honey saison ‘cottage house I believe’ that is money good. I would pass on 3711 and use 3724 or 3726 if you liquid yeast and let it rock at ambient summer temps.

Good luck!

Purée is your friend when it comes to adding fruit, though you could use frozen berries thawed and pushed through a sieve to remove the seeds.

In the recipe section there is a honey saison ‘cottage house I believe’ that is money good. I would pass on 3711 and use 3724 or 3726 if you liquid yeast and let it rock at ambient summer temps.

Good luck!

Agree with the yeast advice. Specifically I'd use 3726 because it doesn't stall, though it also doesn't finish as dry. I might actually start adding a bit of Belle Saison to my 3726 batches with 20% or so attenuation left to go.

My base saison recipe is just 90% good pilsner malt (I like Mecca Grade Pelton) and 10% wheat (Mecca Grade Shaniko) mashed at 148-150F.

started a batch of simple cider (Kirkland juice + WLP611).
Please report back on how the cider with WLP611 turns out. I tried a cyser 6 months ago that was disappointing, and haven't done anything with this yeast since then.

I have a cyser with WLP011 from the vault going. I'm hoping it finishes out a little less than dry at maybe 1005. Will know in a week

Please report back on how the cider with WLP611 turns out. I tried a cyser 6 months ago that was disappointing, and haven't done anything with this yeast since then.

Will do. It's chugging merrily along about 12 hours post pitch, no starter, no nutrient, 80F.

A good day for beer.
Bottled 5 gallons of my first attempt at a Spanish Ale ( AHS Zaragozas Chalice) and brewed 5 gallons of Scotch Ale.

Last edited:
Wow thanks for all the responses for the saison recipe! Can't wait to get it done, although might not be this weekend. Definitely going to use pilsner as the base, but that's as far as I've gotten.

Today dry-hopped the 10 gallon batch of IPA brewed last weekend; cleaned out the hop freezer and ended up getting 6oz of a mishmash of Mosaic, Galaxy, Chinook, and a teeny bit of Amarillo I had left into each; yes, that's 6oz in EACH. That's the most I've ever used for dry hopping, can't wait to see how these two turn out. One will go to FF Draft in a couple weeks and the other is staying home. Darn it, now I "have" to buy more hops....:rolleyes:

Bottled my weissebeir. Was a small extract batch. Got 10x22oz bombers.

Bottled the rest of a keg of my chocolate beer. Got 4x22oz bombers. Just trying to make room in the keezer. It's good but I don't drink enough of it to keep on tap. My buddies love it tho; bottles make it easier to share.

I gotta say, my blichmann beer gun Shure does make bottling from kegs darn easy. It's even a pretty damn cool bottling wand when siphoning from a carboy too! Love this thing.

Received the last of 5 british ales yeasts from White Labs vault purge today
1) harvested about 2 pounds worth of East Seattle Goldings hops
2) made a House British Ale suicide blend starter using notty, pub, windsor, adnan's, burton, irish, w yorkie, whitbread, WLP026, WLP085 & S-04
3) fired up a Harvest Ale today (8.5# golden promise, 1# flaked barley, 1# invert #3)
4) will pitch in the morning
5) also spunded in the keg 1.5 gallons of the white labs vault yeast WLP026.

Bottled my American rye ale made with lots of Sterling hops late in the boil. I'm pretty giddy for this one to carbonate.

Ran out of propane just as the wort was coming to a boil.

I’m on a farm, in the middle of nowhere. We have a pigtail on our 1000 gal propane tank for filling smaller tanks, so it only added about 15 minutes to the brewday. At least it wasn’t the middle of winter and -27°.

Picked a hop cone from my Old Mission. Still too green, not ready yet. I’m thinking as this is probably a 4-5% aroma hop, I may wait to use them until I get a cooling system for my Fermenter and use these hops for my first lager.

Just took a test from one of the IPA fermenters; gravity isn't quite where I want it (1.018 down from 1.063) but it is the dankest, hoppiest, juiciest IPA I've ever brewed, and might end up hazy to boot if it doesn't drop clear. Needs to be ready to go by Saturday, so started the crash and will try to get at least one of them kegged late tonight to start it carbing. Still sipping on the sample, and despite the hop bits sticking to my tongue I am amazeballs at this one. Dunno if my FF buddies will like it (they are more commercial craft & BMC drinkers) but all of them requested another beer this year after last year's delicious lager that I brought.

Cleaned 6 kegs, general clean and straighten up on the brewery. Now I can transfer the 10 gal of Hefe Weizen to carbonate in the kegs. I think I'll make a rattler with some of it.

Just took a test from one of the IPA fermenters; gravity isn't quite where I want it (1.018 down from 1.063) but it is the dankest, hoppiest, juiciest IPA I've ever brewed, and might end up hazy to boot if it doesn't drop clear. Needs to be ready to go by Saturday, so started the crash and will try to get at least one of them kegged late tonight to start it carbing. Still sipping on the sample, and despite the hop bits sticking to my tongue I am amazeballs at this one. Dunno if my FF buddies will like it (they are more commercial craft & BMC drinkers) but all of them requested another beer this year after last year's delicious lager that I brought.

I did the same earlier this evening, for the same reason. My first attempt at an ipa-ish beer and it looks like I’ll be bottling early this week if I want it carbed up in time. Kinda bummed at how completely not clear it is, but the sample tastes fantastic. The guys at my draft will probably hate it and drink up the kolsch and cream ales.

If they don’t want it, I’d be happy to drink a few pints based on that description!

Back