What I did for beer today

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Congrats man! Care to get onvolved in the Fellowship of the Home Brew trade thread? We'd love to try your medal winner!
Sounds good ! I have half a keg left and plan to enter it in the next couple of challenges coming up lol

Ordered some more hops from YVH. Almost out of Chinook, and finally ordered the pound of Saaz I'll need for Czech lagers this summer. And just now finally kegged the Bell's clone that I had to take out of the ferment fridge this morning to make room for the habanero amber brewed today.

Brewed an small batch (2.5gal) extract "weisse bier".. didn't buy the right hops, used 3lb wheat dme. This is basically a SMaSH beer. Dunno how it'll turn out, nor how close to a weisse it'll be. But who cares. It'll be beer.
IMG_20190421_134717.jpeg

Brewed an small batch (2.5gal) extract "weisse bier".. didn't buy the right hops, used 3lb wheat dme. This is basically a SMaSH beer. Dunno how it'll turn out, nor how close to a weisse it'll be. But who cares. It'll be beer.View attachment 623234
Should be good! I do Cold Brews with all Golden Light and Wheat DME. Boil hops on the side for 2min. Add all with 3.5gal cold RO water. Done several Hefes and now a French Saison yesterday. Like you said, it'll be beer! [emoji482]

BTW, I believe wheat DME is only 60 or 65% wheat.

Should be good! I do Cold Brews with all Golden Light and Wheat DME. Boil hops on the side for 2min. Add all with 3.5gal cold RO water. Done several Hefes and now a French Saison yesterday. Like you said, it'll be beer! [emoji482]

BTW, I believe wheat DME is only 60 or 65% wheat.
Ya. It was 55/45 wheat/barley. I've not done an extract batch in years. I usually brew 10g on Easter but didn't plan very well this year so a small extract batch was just right for keeping the tradition.

Rinsed, soaked, de-labeled 3 cases of bottles donated to me last week. Extract brewed some type of English ale ( I hope ) with ingredients sent in my order by mistake from an online retailer. Started a list of supplies to purchase in the near future. Remembered to pick up the brewcat from the vet.

Disassembled, cleaned, and reassembled my xfer pump. Ready for the next brewday.

Got my WLP644 starter ripping last night for Saturday's Sour Pineapple Shake brew-day. Will have to hit the LHBS after work to get the rest of the ingredients I'll need.

Last night weighed out the base malt for the Mosaic/Southern Passion IPA I'll brew on Saturday. Got the idea from YVH, they did one with Mosaic co2 extract for bittering, and their African Queen & Southern Passion hops as late additions/dry hops. I'm going to add a smidge of crystal 80 (it's what I have) for a bit of color. I'll bitter with Mosaic, then mix that and the SP for late additions, might ramp up/ramp down for each. Dunno yet, need more thinking/drinking.

Made a starter of wlp051 for my black IPA this weekend. First time I've ever used a can of Proper Pitch from the lhbs. It was more expensive than I would have liked, but it sure made the process quick and easy.

Blended sour to raise pH. Divided, half Blueberry and half Raspberry. Hopefully keg by Tuesday night ready for my weekend starting Wednesday!

Up early to brew the Mosaic/Southern Passion IPA, waiting on the mash now. Later I'll keg up the WF lager I brewed two weeks ago to make room in the ferment fridge, and tomorrow will hit up a new acquaintance's garage sale; he's getting out of brewing, and has already promised me SIX corny kegs (dunno yet if pin or ball lock) at $10 each, and might have some other stuff I "need". That will take my total of usable kegs up to 11; one of mine has a slight warp in the opening and doesn't seal right. Can you say lagering keg, boys and girls?

Brewed a batch of Zombie Dust clone, pitched on third use 1056 cake and it's already bubbling away an hour later. Also, kegged the APA that was in that fermenter earlier.

Put my gear away after boiling up another American Amber ale... this time, both cans of liquid extract were good.

Unfortunately, I dropped one and lost half the can to the concrete patio. So it'll be a bit lighter than I planned, but I will not make the mistake of going 1/3 sugar again.

I liked the profile of the San Francisco-style lager-ale yeast, so I'm using the White Labs WLP810 version with traditional hallertau/saaz mix. Crossing my fingers... I've got good yeast activity already and the airlock smells pretty good.

Sitting here with coffee pondering on water chemistry for next weekend's brewday. Efficiency has been cr*p all winter long, and I think this might be part of the problem. Nothing of my process has changed for quite some time, and the last batch I did that was even close to 75% efficiency was back in November. Read up on water adjustments last night until my head was spinning, but it's starting to make some sense. Part of the issue was my cheapo pH meter futzed out, and I never replaced it because lazy and didn't think I needed it. Well, I do now! Tired of wasting too much grain to get close to 6.5% ABV, which is my usual target.

Latest posts

Back