What hose size for 30 ft rootbeer line?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GroosBrewz

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I currently have a 5ft 3/16 hose for my cobra tap.. I have since learned that I need at least 30 feet of tubing for effective rootbeer pours. However, I also learned that 3/16" hose is not effective for more than 5 feet of line.. So what size should I have for my rootbeer line? Will I have to buy a new size tap? Also, is the 30 feet required for any soda pop (say, orange?)Thanks!:rockin:

Where did you hear 3/16 isn't effective over 5 feet? Many members have 10 feet per beer faucet. I use 15feet for root beer and it works fine at 25 PSI.

You'll be fine with 3/16" beer line for root beer. You'll just never want to put anything but root beer through it. It will always taste of root beer.

Where did you hear 3/16 isn't effective over 5 feet? Many members have 10 feet per beer faucet. I use 15feet for root beer and it works fine at 25 PSI.

You'll be fine with 3/16" beer line for root beer. You'll just never want to put anything but root beer through it. It will always taste of root beer.

I read it on a website today while searching for 3/16 beer line, although I cant seem to find it now :mad: Anyway, thats good to know.. So how long does your RB take to carb at 25 PSI? Can I get away with a shorter hose at a lower PSI?

I read it on a website today while searching for 3/16 beer line, although I cant seem to find it now :mad: Anyway, thats good to know.. So how long does your RB take to carb at 25 PSI? Can I get away with a shorter hose at a lower PSI?

You can, but the root beer will be flatter. It really is "flat" without being carbed up enough.

I use 3/16" line, too, and it works fine. I wonder if you've run into some info on long beer lines from necessity (like in a bar, or from a basement to a kitchen) and not from balancing. With such a high PSI, you need a longer line so that you don't just get a glass of explosive foam.

This is from Micromatic's website.. This is where I found info onm the 2/16 being appropriate for under 5 ft only..

3/16" I.D. vinyl hose is used for the beer hose in most applications where the distance between the keg and the faucet is less than 5’. The small I.D. (inside diameter) provides the correct restriction to the beer flow balancing against the pressure applied to the keg.

What is restriction?

This size hose is not appropriate for use in lengths longer then 5' as a higher then normal keg pressure would be required to dispense the beer and this would result in over carbonated (foamy) beer.

This is from Micromatic's website.. This is where I found info onm the 2/16 being appropriate for under 5 ft only..

3/16" I.D. vinyl hose is used for the beer hose in most applications where the distance between the keg and the faucet is less than 5’. The small I.D. (inside diameter) provides the correct restriction to the beer flow balancing against the pressure applied to the keg.

What is restriction?

This size hose is not appropriate for use in lengths longer then 5' as a higher then normal keg pressure would be required to dispense the beer and this would result in over carbonated (foamy) beer.

Well, yes, I guess so if you had the psi for 25 on beer, and had 3/16" line to run from the basement to the kitchen, or in a bar where you need longer lines. But in this case, you WANT the restriction, to balance the pressure, since you have a higher keg pressure. What it's saying is that longer lines are for higher pressure, to balance it.

Even at home, I like my beer at 10-12 psi. If I used 5' lines, it'd come out foamy. I now use 10' lines and it's perfect!

The micromatic quote is a little misleading. What they're suggesting is that for a beer at 10psi or so, longer lines at 3/16" would be too slow of a pour. The first thing is that I don't find 5' to ever be enough resistance. Micromatic doesn't expect the application to be soda at 30-35psi either. In any case, higher PSI requires more serving resistance no matter how you acheive it. You can go longer or more narrow or both.

Back