What hops to substitute for the DFH Tweason'ale Clone?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pshankstar

BIAB Homebrewer & Coffee Roaster
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I am going to following the following extract clone recipe of the DFH Tweason'ale gluten free beer, but I am going to make a smaller 2.5 gallon batch instead of the 5 gallons the recipe calls for.

Instead of buying some extra hops for this brew, I was wondering if I could use any of the following hops instead of the NZ Motueka since I have plenty on hand.
Bravo, Warrior, Citra, Amarillo, Falconer's Flight, & Sorachi Ace

I know it's only 2 ounces of hops to buy, but I have purchased the above hops in 1 lbs bags and broke them down into 1 oz bags, vacuum sealed and in my chest freezer. So any thoughts or suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!!

RECIPE:
5 Gallon Batch

6 lbs Briess Sorghum Extract 60 min
2 lbs Buckwheat Honey 30 min
1 lb 7.5 ozs Strawberry flavored Blue Agave Syrup
1 oz NZ Motueka 60 min
0.5 oz NZ Motueka 15 min
0.5 oz NZ Motueka 5 min
1 tsp DAP 15 min
1 tsp Irish Moss 15 min
1 tsp Gypsum 15 min
WLP 002 English Ale yeast - Subbing the Wyeast 1318 yeast since the LHBS was out of WLP002.

I don't think you have the hops that will give you that Motueka descriptor. You have hops that have some of the same aspects like Citra for lemon and tropical, but nothing for lime. Nothing that you have shows as a substitute for Motueka. Citra would also add flavors not found in Motueka - according to descriptions.

Back